NCL Majesty - Charleston

obmij65

Considering a seven night Christmas holiday cruise on Majesty out of Charleston. The price is right. However, some of those cruise reviews I've read are brutal....not only was the ship "beat up on" a bit, some of these reviewers portray the port of Charleston as being run by a bunch of chimps. Anyway, it's come down to either the Majesty or the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile. Hope to hear some honest advice from folks.

Thanks in advance.

However, some of those cruise reviews I've read are brutal....not only was the ship "beat up on" a bit

We were on the Majesty two weeks ago, it's a fine ship -- I'd sail on her again.

Enjoy the Majesty for what she is, not what she isn't. She isn't a new ship with all the bells and whistles. She doesn't have ten restaurants like the new ships. Look hard enough and you'll find layers and layers of paint on external surfaces and the occasional rust spot -- after all, she was built in 1992.

Her crew is friendly and enthusiastic. The food in the restaurants is very good. The shows in the theater were great. We enjoyed our week on the Majesty.

Well said, Paul.. DH and I are Majesty lovers. There are many here who are. But unless you go on her with the knowledge that she's small and quaint, you may be disappointed. We knew exactly what to expect and had brilliant times. As many have stated, the service can't be beat.

My vote is, YES, yes.. go! She's been sold and will leave the fleet end of '09.

One tip: There are 2 cabin sizes. Pay a little more and get a Superior Ocean View. You'll get 37 more square feet, and a mini-fridge. We've stayed in both sizes, and the bigger wins out hands down. Lower decks on the Majesty are fine to stay in too. You'll be close to dining, shows, etc.

We sailed the Majesty for New Years this past year. The crew was the friendliest we have ever had on any ship. Food was good. Ship is worn, but this shouldn't be a concern if you know what to expect. The Atlantic can be a bit rough at times(it was on ours) and the ship doesn't take the rough seas as well as newer ones. The folks checking your stuff in Charleston were a bit over zealous in their booze searches, more agressive than other ports. I guess you can be when you are the only ship in town. We would sail the Majesty again. The crew was that great.............

We've sailed Majesty twice and were looking for a third when they changed the itinerary to Nassau, Port Canaveral and Private Island. It just wasn't what we were looking for.

We sailed out of Miami on the first cruise and Charleston on the second. I haven't read the reviews of Port of Charleston but we had no problem. Plus Charleston is a neat city to spend a day before or after the cruise (we did both:p )

We actually had one of the smallest cabins at sea on our second cruise. If you do go, you will probably want to make sure you are in a larger cabin.

The staff was great on both cruises and because of the size of the ship you do get to know the other passengers and the staff a lot more than on larger ships.

Charlie

We were also on the New Year's Eve cruise on the Majesty last year (hi John) and loved it. She's admittedly an older & smaller ship...but the Christmas trees and gingerbread houses decorating all of the public areas were wonderful. The crew was terrific as well. The food was good, not great, except for Le Bistro which is excellent I think. They poured a generous, if pricey, drink. The martini & wine clinics were fun as well. If you're not necessarily looking for all the bells & whistles (surfing, rock-climbing, etc.) and are realistic about this charming little ship you'll have a great time. If you have wind & swells you'll feel it though.

The Port of Charleston is a challenge however. Both rebeljohn & I wrote reviews...see the member review section. Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise!

We were on the Majesty two weeks ago, it's a fine ship -- I'd sail on her again.

Enjoy the Majesty for what she is, not what she isn't. She isn't a new ship with all the bells and whistles. She doesn't have ten restaurants like the new ships. Look hard enough and you'll find layers and layers of paint on external surfaces and the occasional rust spot -- after all, she was built in 1992.

Her crew is friendly and enthusiastic. The food in the restaurants is very good. The shows in the theater were great. We enjoyed our week on the Majesty.

HI PAUL

can you coment on the freestle 2.0 on the majesty anyone have any copys of the new menus for the dining rooms on the majesty taking the repo cruise on november 1st thanks

HI PAUL

can you coment on the freestle 2.0 on the majesty

Not really, I don't know much about Freestyle 2.0. When checking in we received a coupon for a glass of champagne.

We forgot to use the coupons. The coupon thing is cheesy...they should do it ala Celebrity and simply hand a glass of champagne to guests when they walk on board.

Other than that I didn't notice anything different than last summer's cruise on the NCL Crown.

Hi There,

We sailed from Charleston on the Majesty in Feb 2006.

The ship is older but she's a wonderful ship. The service and staff was great. When we embarked and got to our stateroon (oceanview) we had a wonderful surprise when we saw a pod of dolphins frolicking right outside our window while in port. The seas were very rough the first night due to a storm (suffered from seasickness) but it's all part of the experience and the ship was in no danger. There were alot of activities on board which we participated in and were quite fun.

Charleston is a beautiful city with friendly helpful people. We had a taxi driver named Charles who picked us up from the train station to our hotel at Folly Beach. We also had him pick us up from the hotel and take us to the ship. As we arrived to the ship one hour early, Charles decided to take us on a tour of the city free of charge! I would definitely take this cruise again!:D

Kim

We are thinking of doing the Majesty for Christmas. We live near Charleston (would take a cab downtown) and was wondering what the ship is like and would Christmas be good with 2 teens that are 19 and 15? They have cruised on Carnival before but never NCL. Prices are fairly good for supreme cabins (799/299 without taxes) and suite is a bit more (1599/299). Is the suite worth the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Archived