San Francisco Questions

Dlynn

My husband and I will be visiting San Francisco with our two teen agers. Can someone please reccomend a hotel ? We are driving from LA and are planning to stay in San Francisco 3 nights. Should We keep our rental car why we are there or drop it off on Friday and pick one up on Monday. We arn't going on a cruise. I'm just used to posting all my vacation questions on Cruise Critic:) Thanks!

Two teenagers - I would recommend the Westin on 3rd. Rooms are larger than most - walkable, central location right next to Yuerba Buena, Metreon, SFMOMA and Union Square. And you can hop on Bart, Muni light rail, etc.

If you are getting two rooms - check into Joie de Vivre and Kimpton properties. But I recommend you select one a few blocks from Bart and Muni light rail (runs down Market street) if you want the best convenience.

There is a public lot across the street from Westin - Hearst Garage, I think runs about $30 day for parking with no in/out privileges. I would think turning the car in is a good idea - use that on taxis and/or bart.

Most folks on these boards like Fisherman's Wharf area - because of its proximity to cruise ship terminal. Since that's not your goal - I think you will be much happier in more central location.

Have a great time!

:cool:l living here in san francisco,very few hotels offer free parking

except those along the lombard street strip,and there are some very

nice places. san francisco is a very easy city to getaround in with excellent

transportation from anywhere,just get on your computer and play the

numbers game,none of the downtown hotels offer free parking that l know of.

there are quite a few 4starplaces on the lombard strip.

goodluck and l'm sure you will enjoy yourselves

charles

San Francisco is a great city for carless travel. The public transportation is excellent, and many places are easily walkable. Driving in the city is a pain, and parking is expensive.

With your rental car, check to see if you get charged any kind of dropoff charge if you turn the car in. You might end up paying more to do the dropoff (you'd be paying for two one-way rentals) than it would cost to park the car and leave it. Check into the many parking lots around San Francisco Int'l Airport for rates and weigh the costs. You could also stay out at the Westin hotel by the airport, park the car there free, and just take their shuttle to the airport each day to catch BART into the city.

Thank you for all the information. I am going to look into hotels with free parking and the Hearst Garage. We won't be using our car. I have to price everything out. I wanted to drive to save money but I'm not sure with gas the rental car and parking if we are going to save that much. Thanks again!

We used to live in SF but we are now in SoCal. When we drive up we stay at one of the three sister inns. Cow Hollow, Chelsea and ?. The websites are all interconnected. Free parking and internet. Walking distance to restaurants and great (run very often) public transit. They are inexpensive motels - not 4 star hotels but the price is right and the location is great.

Look into the City Pass - that will include discounts and public transit. If you don't want that buy the multi day passes for the muni system. If you get the pass at one of the 'booths' by the cable cars ask for a transit map. Otherwise you can by a transit map at Walgreens (many locations) so you can plan your trips.

Archived