Who agrees with me ?

I LOVE the Ocean!

I go on cruises because I LOVE the ocean.

Therefore, the Radiance Class ships with all the glass everywhere are the most B-utiful ships on the ocean.

The larger ones are nice but you could be on the Voyager/Liberty ships for a week and never even SEE the ocean.

Just my opinion.

and do we agree with you on the Radiance class - just the best ever designed and built so that you never lose sight of the ocean. But unfortunatly logistics and the bottom line dictate we will see no more of them. Ocean views everywhere do not contribute to the bottom line; inside shopping malls that tempt your wallet at every stop do that. And that is the future of the cruise industry, sad to say

The larger ones are nice but you could be on the Voyager/Liberty ships for a week and never even SEE the ocean.

Just my opinion.

C'mon! This is an exaggeration. Just because these ships have a promenade doesn't mean there is no focus on the ocean. If you have a balcony cabin, you have an ocean view - if you're on the sports deck or the pool deck, or the gym, or the spa, you have wonderful ocean views. The promenade is the heartbeat of the ship at night, when there are parades, disco parties, etc. It's like an extention of the night club and lounges that extends onto the street. But it's not the inward focused shopping mall that some people say it is. There is still plenty of ocean to see.

but the answer is NO!

The only classic design today is the QMII. Everything else looks like a white box floating on the waves.

Sorry.

The most beautiful ship ever to sail was SS NORWAY.

Too bad most the cruise lines have gone to white paint (cuts down AC costs). Some of the great pain schemes of the past would look great today and change the white box look.

I have to agree with the OP, although Celebrity has some nice looking ships. I am not a fan of the exterior of Princess ships, especially the stern......they look like they've been chopped off.

When we were in Ketchikan I saw HAL's Oosterdam and spoke to some people who were sailing on it, and they said they loved the interior. BUT, from the outside it looked like a huge stack of cargo containers on a nice HAL hull! Cargo containers with balconies, I should say!

All a matter of taste but I think the most beautiful and classi ship design is Vision and Radiance Class.

Speaking about QM2 I have to say that I don´t like her outside design and wouldn´t even call it classic. The only classic point in my opinion is the aft. with having the pools on the aft. decks on multiple levels terrace like.

Now the interior of the QM2 is very classic and mirrors the aera of the Ocean Liners but then my impression of QM2 was that it´s a great ship for a classic crossing, but I wouldn´t want to do a cruise on her.

I´ve never been on Voyager Class and only on a short cruise on Freedom, but that one made me miss the sea views already.

All a matter of taste but I think the most beautiful and classi ship design is Vision and Radiance Class.

Speaking about QM2 I have to say that I don´t like her outside design and wouldn´t even call it classic. The only classic point in my opinion is the aft. with having the pools on the aft. decks on multiple levels terrace like.

Now the interior of the QM2 is very classic and mirrors the aera of the Ocean Liners but then my impression of QM2 was that it´s a great ship for a classic crossing, but I wouldn´t want to do a cruise on her.

I´ve never been on Voyager Class and only on a short cruise on Freedom, but that one made me miss the sea views already.

Just curious here.......what do you mean by a "short cruise" on Freedom?

Just my opinion.

C'mon! This is an exaggeration. Just because these ships have a promenade doesn't mean there is no focus on the ocean.

Actually, when the Voyager made her maiden voyage, a writer from one of the Cruise Magazines wrote a professional review. And this is a direct quote from that review. He said, "If you criuse because you love the ocean, then this is not the ship for you. You could be on the Voyager for a week and never even SEE the ocean."

We were on the Mariner and loved our cruise - AND our balcony;) , but she was nowhere near as beautiful as ANY of the Radiance Class ships.

Actually, when the Voyager made her maiden voyage, a writer from one of the Cruise Magazines wrote a professional review. And this is a direct quote from that review. He said, "If you criuse because you love the ocean, then this is not the ship for you. You could be on the Voyager for a week and never even SEE the ocean."

that's funny because everytime I walked out side............yep you guessed it! I saw the ocean!! Even from my balcony :rolleyes:

(by the way this is not directed to you DHADEN, it's the article you are quoting)

That Royal Caribbean has the most beautiful ships (outside) from the Radiance class up?

I agree, when we were in one port while on the Freedom we started talking to another couple as we were enjoying a snack. We discussed what ships we were on and so on. When we told them we were on Freedom , they said they were in awe of RCI ships when they see them in port. They had planned on going on the Freedom but friends of theirs talked them out of it. But they said after seeing the ship, they regretted their decison. They said the ship they were on ( I do not recall the line) did not even come close.

When I am in a port I look at all the other ships and have yet to see ones as nice looking, in my opinion.

When we were in Ketchikan I saw HAL's Oosterdam and spoke to some people who were sailing on it, and they said they loved the interior. BUT, from the outside it looked like a huge stack of cargo containers on a nice HAL hull! Cargo containers with balconies, I should say!

We just sailed on HAL's Westerdam in January (Oosterdam's sister ship) and found the inside to be too dark and bland. I love the decor of RCI ships and will probably never sail another line again.

We were on the QM2. She's an ocean liner built for fast crossings. She is not a cruise ship. There are too many design problems to be called a cruise ship.

The Norway was the renamed SS France and was also designed as an ocean liner.

I tend to agree with the votes for the RCI Radiance class ships.

If you ask me, Disney wins for the best exterior, than Celebrity Solstice, then RCCL Radience. Princess looks too modern, NCL look gaudy, and Carnival look ok, but too angular. Cunard ok, but you have to give them the classic look, and HAL just ok.

We were on the QM2. She's an ocean liner built for fast crossings. She is not a cruise ship. There are too many design problems to be called a cruise ship.

The Norway was the renamed SS France and was also designed as an ocean liner.

I tend to agree with the votes for the RCI Radiance class ships.

a little confused.:confused: Did they change the definition of a cruise ship? An Ocean liner is simply of subset of cruise ships Design issues would have nothing to do with a ship's classification. :confused:

a little confused.:confused: Did they change the definition of a cruise ship? An Ocean liner is simply of subset of cruise ships Design issues would have nothing to do with a ship's classification. :confused:

No, an Ocean Liner is completely different. An Ocean Liner needs to cross distances in often poor weather. It will therefore have a deep draught. This means that it often has to tender passengers ashore in popular cruise ports instead of docking.

A cruise ship has a shallow draught to make more ports accessible. This limits the ship's poor weather performance. That is why when cruise ships cross the Atlantic, they take a southerly course, because the only ships that can cope well with the stormy North Atlantic are Ocean Liners.

Equally, an Ocean Liner, because it works generally in poorer weather, needs more indoor spaces. A cruise ship needs more outdoor deck space.

Likewise, an Ocean Liner has to have a higher top speed. If a cruise ship runs late, a port of call can be missed out. If a Liner runs late, every successive voyage is also late.

No, an Ocean Liner is completely different. An Ocean Liner needs to cross distances in often poor weather. It will therefore have a deep draught. This means that it often has to tender passengers ashore in popular cruise ports instead of docking.

A cruise ship has a shallow draught to make more ports accessible. This limits the ship's poor weather performance. That is why when cruise ships cross the Atlantic, they take a southerly course, because the only ships that can cope well with the stormy North Atlantic are Ocean Liners.

Equally, an Ocean Liner, because it works generally in poorer weather, needs more indoor spaces. A cruise ship needs more outdoor deck space.

Likewise, an Ocean Liner has to have a higher top speed. If a cruise ship runs late, a port of call can be missed out. If a Liner runs late, every successive voyage is also late.

Can you tell me the source of where you are getting this? I can't seem to find this.

Everything I can find defines a cruise ship (cruise liner) by it's function (passenger ship used commercially for pleasure cruises and a cruise being to sail about touching at a series of ports). Also, I see ships like the QMII winning awards for the best luxury cruise ship http://www.cunard.com/news/default.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=6877&Page=3&main=&catID=

The word cruise comes from the Dutch kruisen - to make a cross.

Etymology: Dutch kruisen to make a cross, cruise, from Middle Dutch crucen, from crūce cross, from Latin cruc-, crux Date: 1651 (from Webster)

I looked all this up after reading that other post, because I have always heard it referred to as taking a cruise, even in regards to the Norway back in the 80s. Where it want never meant any difference.

Archived