Help with hotel in Rio?

B&C-Cruisers

We are flying into Rio a day early for a cruise on Mariner of the Seas, on January 19, 2009, and were wondering if we could get recommendations for reasonably priced, clean, safe hotels somewhat close to the where the ship will be docked.

Thanks for the help.

B&C-Cruisers,

I used TripAdvisor to help me make my pre-cruise hotel reservation for the two nights I'll be in Rio prior to the same cruise. You asked for hotels near the cruise port, I just thought I'd mention that the cruise port is about half way between the airport and the beach zones. I'm staying directly on Copacabana beach, and although there were reasonable rooms available, I opted for a room with an unobstructed view of the beach and Sugar loaf. I am counting the days now!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Try the Rio forum at www.tripadvisor. In general, there are no good hotels near the pier. You need to go to the zona sul area ( Leme, Copa, Ipa, Leblon) for decent accommodations. I think the Marriot and the Sofitel are the best choices for luxury. The Ipanema Sol is an upscale Best Western ideally located and priced a bit below the others.

Yes I read on one of the guides that the area around the cruise ship terminal turns into a red light district at night; so it says don't stay there!

If anyone has a good recomendation for a hotel, please do post. The hotel that Princess uses has terrible reviews, so I'll almost certianly stay somewhere different. Most of the western hotels chains seem to be a bit steeply priced.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I read on one of the guides that the area around the cruise ship terminal turns into a red light district at night; so it says don't stay there!

If anyone has a good recomendation for a hotel, please do post. The hotel that Princess uses has terrible reviews, so I'll almost certianly stay somewhere different. Most of the western hotels chains seem to be a bit steeply priced.

Hi,

Last time I stayed in Rio (about 2 years ago) I stayed at the Sol Ipanema on

Ipenema beach. It is a Best Western--a decent hotel, right across the street from the beach. Their rates weren't too bad then--but check with several websites to get the best price. I am staying there again in December for 2 nights, and I had to look around to get a good rate--try the Blumar.br website (that's a Brazilian travel agency).:)

Archived