Anything for Grandma to do in Nassau?

gomomgo

My mother (77) will be with us on our cruise in December. Is there anything for her to do in Nassau while we snorkel? She gets around OK, but nothing with a lot of walking. Also want safety. I've heard about the horse and carriage rides--anyone done that?

My mother (77) will be with us on our cruise in December. Is there anything for her to do in Nassau while we snorkel? She gets around OK, but nothing with a lot of walking. Also want safety. I've heard about the horse and carriage rides--anyone done that?

DON'T put your 77 year old grandmother in a carriage ride! Danger - Danger!

We rode in once and almost fell out it was so unstable.

If no one is with her have her stay onboard until someone can take her off the ship. Depending on where the ship docks it could be a looonnngg walk to exit/entrance to downtown. If she has difficulty walking get her a wheelchair and go straight to cab. Many cabbies have nice tours.

I agree with the other posters, let her stay on the ship, it is not a place for an elderly person to walk around by herself. Now a ships tour would be nice, they are some nice ones that you don't do a lot of walking.

I had thought maybe we might all do the carriage tour together if nothing else popped up. She'll be staying onboard when we go to Coco Cay, so I thought she might want to get off the ship in Nassau. The ship has a Nassau city tour and Ardastra Gardens tour I'll have her look at. I know she won't be able to do any of the places where you have to climb stairs, but she might enjoy the sights even if she waits while others walk around. Has anyone done the ship's tour like this?

A couple of years ago, DH and I took his parents on a cruise to Nassau and CocoCay. I was a little worried about my FIL because he has arthritis and also a heart condition. We booked the Harbour Tour (boat and van tour). He did have a bit of a walk from the ship to the tour boat. We bought him one of those canes that will make into a seat. He "rested" a couple of times, but he really enjoyed it. The crew and excursion people were extremely nice. I'm sure there's something that your mom can do and will enjoy. Have a great time!!

I had thought maybe we might all do the carriage tour together if nothing else popped up. She'll be staying onboard when we go to Coco Cay, so I thought she might want to get off the ship in Nassau. The ship has a Nassau city tour and Ardastra Gardens tour I'll have her look at. I know she won't be able to do any of the places where you have to climb stairs, but she might enjoy the sights even if she waits while others walk around. Has anyone done the ship's tour like this?

I think a tour with the cruise line may be nice... just make them aware of her age and about walking.

Again about the carriage ride.... PASS ON IT for the elderly. Do one in Charleston, SC or some other US city that offers it. DO NOT do the one in the Bahamas.

There are several threads in this section that talk about the dangers of the carriage rides.

She'll be staying onboard when we go to Coco Cay, so I thought she might want to get off the ship in Nassau. The ship has a Nassau city

I just re-read this and would suggest you do the opposite... unless the tender would be to much. Just thinking that CoCo is a controlled environment.

Archived