Stocking up on food in Fairbanks

ludocdoc

We arrive in Fairbanks in the evening (9pm ish) and then leave on the morning train to Denali. We're taking a long shuttle ride the same afternoon, so we need to have some food to bring along. Any suggestions on where to pick stuff up? We're staying in the Extended Stay hotel, obviously walking distance helps. Hard to tell,e ven with google earth, what's going to be open by the time we get to the hotel from the airport...

A room at the springhill Suites just opened up, so I changed to it since it gets better reviews and looks like it offers a shuttle to the airport and train. So I still need help, but from there instead. Help!

<thanks P for your qquick help>

<<if only I could figure how to edit my first post. it wont let me...>>

There aren't any grocery stores within walking distance of the Springhill. May be small deli type?? There is a gas station on the other side of the river, IF I recall correctly??? (always have a car). Otherwise, there is a limited selection of food at the access center in Denali Park, and food options in Glitter Gulch. What time is your shuttle?? I'll assume the 2pm Eielson shuttle, you are not there in time for any Wonder Lake buses. IF the train is on time, you would have time to pick up something in Glitter Gulch.

I always have food bars in my bag. Granola or some Quaker stuff. Can't take a chance on missing meals. A jar of peanut butter and a box of crackers can go a long way.

As at the motel if any restaurants will deliver sandwiches or if there are any restaurants you can walk to in the morning.

Springhill Suites in Fairbanks has a breakfast buffet. I've talked with the manager in such situations and was able to make a take away 'airplane' meal. I tipped the person who takes care of the buffet.

When you check in to the Springhill, asked if they have a pantry where they have food items for sale. Springhill is a Marriott brand and Marriott generally does a very good job with having a pantry on site.

Some people sneak food from the breakfast buffet, but I find that honesty is the best policy and a nice tip goes a long way toward getting me what I want and need.

Take along (from home) an insulated food bag.

I was worried the springhill would cut down the shopping chances. The reviews on tripadvisor and such were much better though. I'll see about the pantry. I suspect there is some food to be had at the visitor center, and as long as I have an extra ten minutes, it's just extra money. What's money on an Alaskan interior trip anyway?

I was worried the springhill would cut down the shopping chances. The reviews on tripadvisor and such were much better though. I'll see about the pantry. I suspect there is some food to be had at the visitor center, and as long as I have an extra ten minutes, it's just extra money. What's money on an Alaskan interior trip anyway?

I read the reviews on Tripadvisor after your post and only saw one questionable bad review. Since I have stayed at that hotel 10+ times I think that the person posting had other problems than with their room. I have not stayed at Springhill, but I wouldn't have switched away from Extended Stay because of your desire to do some shopping.

If I was going to switch, even though the shopping wouldn't have helped you, I would have switched to Alpine because they have a rate of $115, which is better than I could get from either Extended Stay or Springhill. Alpine is a brand new hotel and I think is going to be taking a lot of business from the other two hotels because of its local and just how nice it is.

Janice

There used to be a restaurant in the coop plaza across the street from the Springhill as well as Soapy Smiths restaurant down the street. There are also a number of food stands in the area and I believe a place that sells bagels, etc.

I read the reviews on Tripadvisor after your post and only saw one questionable bad review. Since I have stayed at that hotel 10+ times I think that the person posting had other problems than with their room. I have not stayed at Springhill, but I wouldn't have switched away from Extended Stay because of your desire to do some shopping.

If I was going to switch, even though the shopping wouldn't have helped you, I would have switched to Alpine because they have a rate of $115, which is better than I could get from either Extended Stay or Springhill. Alpine is a brand new hotel and I think is going to be taking a lot of business from the other two hotels because of its local and just how nice it is.

Janice

THanks for th advice. Alpine is giving me a slightly higher rate than the marriot. Since I get points with marriot, I'l just keep it. Appreciate the tip though

Archived