Election Night

tjcletsgo

:cool: Hi, everyone. I usually ask you questions about food (LOL!), but I have a question on a new topic.

I'm going to be cruising on election day. We will spend the day touring the islands off Loreto, but when we come back on board, will they have TV's on in the lounges, covering the election? Will they have any other news channel beside the "Clinton News Network"? I know that's what we'll have in our cabins, but I would really prefer to see the returns on a more "balanced" station.

I know to serious cruiser's, this may sound trivial, but I'm a political junkie :D and really need to have my election return "fix". Should I just plan on ordering dinner in the cabin? That's Dutch Night (I think), and we were going to dine in the Pinnacle.

Thanks so much for any info!

Janie:o

Yeah, I'm going to vote next week at my local mall. No way can I impose a blackout, not with how close this election is supposed to be. I'm not interested in the prelude.........just the election itself!!

Yes, we will have CNN in our cabin. I was hoping one of the bar/lounges might get FOX.........:p

:cool: .....when we come back on board, will they have TV's on in the lounges, covering the election? Will they have any other news channel beside the "Clinton News Network"? I know that's what we'll have in our cabins, but I would really prefer to see the returns on a more "balanced" station.

.......I'm a political junkie :D and really need to have my election return "fix". Should I just plan on ordering dinner in the cabin? That's Dutch Night (I think), and we were going to dine in the Pinnacle.

Not to be rude and I'm not flaming, but if media coverage of the election is so important that you need to hear the voting returns announced from a right wing bias, it might have been better to cruise one of the other 51 weeks. It's not like the date of the election is a surprise. I'm a political junkie, too, but by election night it's way too late to worry about any of it. :rolleyes:

I have voted via absentee ballot, and am very interested in seeing Election coverage....unfortuantely, it seems the "Clinton News Network" is the popular network on the cruise ships...it was on HAL this summer, and RCI too, just this last month. I am a fan of FOX news myself. I DO plan on watching the coverage, through the evening.

Marie

It certainly won't be over on election night. Each already stands ready to claim he won regardless of the count. It all won't be over until after all the fat cat lawyers sing. Which I think will be sometime in January.

Afterall, us Floridians will have to count those votes over, and over and over....

I already voted. Now if we can keep those 40,000 people who are registered to vote both in New York and Florida from committing a felony, we might have a fair election.

I plan on watching coverage myself all night and on all networks- I like to get a variety of opinions. BUT- if I was on a cruise the last thing I would worry about would be whether I was watching the 'right' network or not. I would have made the decision to cruise another time, if getting spin was so important to me.

You are right, cruzin- it is highly unlikely to be decided on election night anyway.

Bookworm0911,

You're right, of course. I booked this cruise about a year ago, never thinking about the election.

However, now that I'm on the Ryndam, I was hoping to be able to watch election night coverage on a favorite news channel. I guess that's a lot to ask.

Seems to me, this board is about "dreams-come-true". We book these wonderful cruises, and then go on these boards and ask for more of everything........more free stuff, more (and better) food, more excursions......

I just thought I might inquire about election returns for what may be the most important election of our time.

I'm sorry if my comment about the Bill Clinton show offended anyone.

Janie:confused:

Go to the internet lounge and browse to whichever news organization "floats your boat." It'll cost you, but if you really do have to get the full analysis, it's the only way to go. Especially if you need to check on state and local races and questions - which are likely to have a far bigger effect on you than whether tweedledum or tweedledummer takes the presidency.

You know what? We are also flying/cruising during the elections... we will be respecting others opinion REGARDLESS of how they choose to vote - it goes a long way, IMO. We will respect our fellow cruisers and hope they will respect us in return.

We have always been able to receive CNN International - if that is the station you are referring to - sorry, most countries OUTSIDE the U.S. do not think we are as important as we do - chances are you will only have CNN International.

A word of caution - If you are traveling outside the U.S. during the elections, I would urge you to avoid making references to any political party or candidate - JMHO.

Enjoy the crusie. We'll have four years of hearing how it went right or how it went wrong.

Loreto , by the way is an interesting stop. We met some pleasant locals and we found it to be almost mystical. The color of the surroundings and the sun set are spectacular.

Enjoy!!

A word of caution - If you are traveling outside the U.S. during the elections, I would urge you to avoid making references to any political party or candidate - JMHO.

I agree...I have NO intention of discussing politics with my fellow cruisemates.

I plan on using great self-restraint :).

Marie

This will be the first Presidential election in quite a while that I will not be at Sea. I have voted "absentee" so often that I don't even think they will remember me in the Polling Place when I come in this November. In '96 I was beteen Montego Bay and Grand Caymen when Clinton beat Dole. The entertainment was Patrick and Matilda and they were a stitch. It was all about Clinton and Dole. In 2000, I was a long time back home before the Florida thing was settled.

HIMSELF

Back in July I sailed on the Oosterdam and never felt that I was missing out on news. There shouldn't be any problems getting election returns on the ship becouse the in-room TV are "tuned in" to the outside world. Also there will about 1000 others wanting to know who won the election.

We were in the Caribbean on a HAL ship last presidential election. CNN was on the big TV. I'm not sure whether it was American or international CNN, but it certainly was covering the elction almost exclusively (for days).

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Soulcruiser, I have heard about Loreto and am so excited to be going there. My kids went last year, and still get a certain look in their eye when they talk about Loreto. Did you book an excursion thru the ship or just rent a panga at the marina?

Thanks, again for your input. Trust me, I'm not planning on talking politics....I'm on vacation!

Should I just plan on ordering dinner in the cabin? That's Dutch Night (I think), and we were going to dine in the Pinnacle.

Thanks so much for any info!

I say eat in the Pinnacle early and then watch the fall out :)

I just today went and had my affidavit notarized to send in with my absentee ballot. It is Oklahoma law that no notary may charge for this service. He was not aware of this law(I had a copy with me, that came with the ballot), and was not a happy camper. I went to one of those UPS stores.

Needless to say, his attitude will not bring any of my future paying business to him.

In fact, after he notarized it, I said "this is complimentary, right" or something to that effect...He then chuckled, and went over to the register. He then realized I was serious, and I nicely showed him the piece of paper. And, of course, thanked him for his services(even though he was grumpy).

Marie

On an August HAL cruise, there were evidently so many requests for FOX News that they put a note in the daily activity sheet stating that they could not provide it because they only were contracted to carry CNN.

Also a FOX news junkie!

Hi

During the last election I was on the Ryndam (this time the Rotterdam ... hmm, begining to look like a trend) and while we got the "preliminary" results from the international feed of CNN, the actual results didn't happen until long after I got back.

With a close election like this one ... cruisers may indeed be home by the time the final results are revealed.

Archived