waterproof packs for passports

RAB1012

I got a fanny pack type waterproof bag at a local scuba shop, but it was made by Trident Dive company. It looks like a regular fanny pack, only flatter. It had 3 heavy duty ziplock closure on it, and it meant for snorkeling not diving (water proof to 30 feet I think)

I tried it out at home, and it worked fine so I used to to keep my ipod, camera and id dry. I was cruising solo, so I had no one to watch my stuff, and I needed by digital camera with me for taking good land pictures.

I'm sure it won't be hard to find something that works for you with the links you have here.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish it was as easy to get hold of these in the UK, unfortunately it's not :confused:. The only place I can find one is in Millets (camping store) and it's not that good tbh, it seems to just protect from splashes. I need something that will be ok to hold a passport and some $ when we go to Dunns Falls. If any Brits out there know of a good make then I'd be really grateful if you could let me know, thanks :D

If you're from the UK, the ship may hold your passport until the cruise is over. Even if they don't, do not take your passport with you. You won't need it ashore! You'll only need a picture ID (driver's license) and ship's card to get back on board. We take a credit card and some cash, just put it in a pocket cliped together - not a wallet - when we go anywhere off the ship.

I know this wasn't your original question but I would not take your passport on an excursion. Just leave it locked in a safe on the ship. Why take the chance of having it lost or stolen.

Keith

you beat me to it ...... ;)

I wish it was as easy to get hold of these in the UK, unfortunately it's not :confused:. The only place I can find one is in Millets (camping store) and it's not that good tbh, it seems to just protect from splashes. I need something that will be ok to hold a passport and some $ when we go to Dunns Falls. If any Brits out there know of a good make then I'd be really grateful if you could let me know, thanks :D

I think I understand why you posted this.. Maybe you can find a good "friend" here in the states and have them pick you up what you want and then ship it over.. Should be cheaper then having the web site ship it..

As far as customs goes, it is a "gift", should get you around the VAT tax...

Just a thought...

Many thanks for all of your helpful advice on this. The only reason we were thinking of taking a passport ashore with us was that I read somewhere on CC (can't find it now though) that it would be a godsend in the event that someone missed the ship! :rolleyes:

However I still would like to get hold of one of these waterproof bags for the likes of cash/card that we will need to carry ashore.

Many thanks for all of your helpful advice on this. The only reason we were thinking of taking a passport ashore with us was that I read somewhere on CC (can't find it now though) that it would be a godsend in the event that someone missed the ship! :rolleyes:

However I still would like to get hold of one of these waterproof bags for the likes of cash/card that we will need to carry ashore.

Some people will take their passports for the reasons you said but I don't agree with them. I sincerel believe that one has a better chance of losing them or having them stolen than missing the ship. We do make a copy. The copy can't be used as the real thing but could facilitate getting a new one.

You may find that your passport is held anyway.

On many of the cruise lines we sail on our passport is now held by the cruise line.

Either way, I would not take the passport with you.

As you say the holder can be used for your other items.

Have a great time.

Keith

I was under the impression that we needed our passports to reboard the ship after a excursion...I read under another site that you don't need it...

What ID, do you use if you don't use your passport. Room key and drivers license?

thanks

sklja

Over 20+ years we've been on 50+ cruises. The ONLY time we needed our passports was Key West, THE USA! Never have figured that out!

We always leave ours in ours in our safe. If you are not a US citizen, the ship usually holds your pasport until the last morning!

All you need is a photo ID, a Driver's license, even credit card with your picture or state ID if you don't have a driver's license and, your room key/card!

A cruise friend once picked up her boyfriend's room key/card and it took it when when he stayed on board. Her photo was not the one they pulled up, but they did straigten it out and she was finally allowed to board!

I was under the impression that we needed our passports to reboard the ship after a excursion...I read under another site that you don't need it...

What ID, do you use if you don't use your passport. Room key and drivers license?

thanks

sklja

All I take when I leave it one cc, dl, ship card and a bit of cash. Essentially, if I lose all of that, it doesn't affect me one way or another....

Archived