Celebrity Excursions

cunnorl

I have been corresponding with Celebrity regarding shore excursions and their cancellation policy. We wanted to pre book a few tours through the ship but were concerned if my daughter was not able to tender due to rough seas,etc. I asked if the money would be refunded if she was not allowed off. Today I received this reply:

"Please kindly note that if our guest is unable to tender at a port of call you will be advised ahead of time and in that case you will need to contact our Shore Excursions Desk onboard the ship to advise of the cancellation of the tour.

Usually it doesn't represent a problem as long as the tour is cancelled at least 48- 24 hours prior to the commencement of the tour.

Would we know that much ahead of time? It has been my experience in the past the decision is made on that day.

I was also told I had to request accessible transportation even if I only needed to stow a collapsible chair. My husband and son are able to transport her up onto a van or bus without any problem.

Sorry for the length of this, just a little frustrated. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? We could just rent a car but at some ports there really is not a lot of time. We thought this would be more relaxing for everyone.

Thanks so much.

You are correct, no one will know about tendering conditions until the ship is at the port, unless they know of something like a hurricane is in the area. But for the most part, they won't know conditions 24 hours in advance.

As for the vehicle issue, we've never had to request a special vehicle. The buses have had an area to stow wheelchairs, so that's not an issue. The only time it could be an issue is if you're in a port in a third world area where the buses they use are very old. But for the most part, the buses and vans have had a place for wheelchairs.

This is for Hawaii. They told me that the vehicles do have a place to stow a collapsible chair but for liability reasons, she had to be able to step onto the bus herself. I explained that my both my husband and son ( and even me) can easily lift her but I was told no. They would check to see if a vehicle with a ramp or lift was available. The tender issue is baffling to me. If they are telling me she cannot get off due to conditions, which I would fully support, why wouldn`t they refund the money for the cancelled excursion?

I have requested that a supervisor contact me. I am just trying to understand the reasoning. My husband told me to forget it and we can just book a car and do it ourselves. This is our first time with Celebrity, although we have sailed many times with Carnival, HAL and Disney without this type of problem.

Skip ship's tours in Hawaii. Rent a car. You will see much more of what you really want to see, have easier transfers, and not have to deal with a crowd on a bus. We usually use Alamo, which does not require prepayment and does not penalize you if you have to cancel at the last minute. What ports are you going to? We can advise on things to see by driving yourself...and it will be cheaper than the ship's tours anyway.

We had an awesome limo in Honolulu,and the driver was awesome! It was $300 for 6 hours. He took us every place and it was the best ever! If you want his name and number I would be happy to give it to you. Much easier than driving yourself in that awful traffic! Nancie:cool:

Thanks. I feel so much better. It took me very much by surprise. Glad it is now and not when we were on the ship. It will give us time to plan. Our ports are Lahaina 2 full days but tender. Kauai ( 1 day) Kailua Kona ( 1 day, tender) and Honolulu where we will stay for 4 days post cruise. We had already planned on renting the car in Honolulu.

Skip trying to drive in Honolulu, at least not in the Waikiki area. It is very crowded, hard to drive, and even harder to park. The Bus is the way to go. They have lifts, and friendly drivers, and it is easy to get information on routes, etc.

I would recommend walking the main Waikiki beach for some shopping, eating, and to watch the beach crowd and surfers. Go into the Royal Hawaiian to see the beautiful view, and the building and spectacular tropical flower arrangements they always have there. Check out China Town. I can recommend the Honolulu Aquarium (at the south end of Waikiki) for their displays and accessibility.

Use the car for getting out of the Waikiki area. Check out the view from Punchbowl National Cemetary. Drive up to the Pali Lookout for even more spectacular views. Drive around the whole island (I recommend going counter clockwise starting at Diamond Head). Consider taking in the Pacific Cultural Center (also accessible). Check out Waimea Valley. Depending on the time of year (winter is best) watch the surfers along the Pipeline and get a burger at Kua Aina's in Hale'iwa (get take out and drive back to the beach to have a picnic watching the waves).

For Kauai (my favorite island) drive north, checking out the east facing beaches, and stop off at the lighthouse for great views and many birds to see at the Kilauea Light. Watch for whales and spinner dolphins in the bay to the northwest. Drive on through Princeville (checkout the hotel if you want) and stop to see the view at Happy Valley, then drive on to the end of the road. Check out both the Wet and Dry cave. Watch the windsurfers in Hanalei Bay. In the summer, you can catch Zodiac trips here to the NaPali coast. This is also the best island to take a helicopter trip. There are some accessible companies, but they will let you lift her into most of the non-accessible ones. We always use Will Sqyres which takes off from the edge of the airport.

If you have time, also drive the other way around the island and take the turn off to Poipu. The Spouting Horn blow hole here is pretty good, and Poipu State Beach is a protected area where you can snorkle and have something to eat across the street. Public restroom here is accessible. Keep driving west and go all the way up to Waimea Canyon (end of the road) for spectacular view of both the canyon and the Napali Coast. The viewspoints are accessible.

For Lahaina (Maui) rent a car. You will have to pick it up and then come back to pick up your party. Good handicapped parking behind the city library near the pier. I would recommend driving north to see some of the beaches at the hotels around the west Maui airport, then drive south to the cliffs along the shore where you can nearly always see whales in the winter or early spring. Go on to the Maui Ocean Center aquarium for a spectacular aquarium visit and a good lunch at their restaurant with a good view. Very accessible. If you can get an early start, you might consider driving to Hana and back, but you need to plan at least 8 hours for this, more on weekends, and you don't want to drive any of it after dark. Take food and water with you as there are very few places to stop, and not much in the way of accessible toilets (port-a-potties for the most part). Not a hard drive if you are an experienced mountain driver.

In Kona, it is very easy to just go around town with the wheelchair. Tons of shops and restaurants. Decent snorkeling right off the pier at the King Kamehameha hotel (rent gear there) from their small sandy beach.

I wholeheartedly agree with Splinter. Forget driving youself in Honolulu. I hired an accessible car and driver to take me around that area. I also brought my handicapped car placard so the driver could park in handicapped spaces. I rented my own car for the other islands and driving there is so much easier.

As for why they don't refund, it's because Celebrity hires private vendors and those vendors are paid in advance.

Archived