trip insurance

suzistar

I have booked a cruise on the Destiny for Feb 2009. I want to purchase trip insurance. I have purchased trip insurance online for previous land vacations . What do most of you do here? Do you book trip insurance through the cruise company or an online travel insurance company? Thank you for your time.

I have booked a cruise on the Destiny for Feb 2009. I want to purchase trip insurance. I have purchased trip insurance online for previous land vacations . What do most of you do here? Do you book trip insurance through the cruise company or an online travel insurance company? Thank you for your time.

Insuremytrip.com is the most popular site.. offers several companies.. read and compare!

Also Globalshield.. which is an amex company or sub of amex but you do not need to have an amex card..

I used insuremytrip 8x.. never had to file a claim...

I purchased through globalshield for my May 2009 cruise.. I just feel I got a better deal with them..

:)

For our 1st cruise we booked insurance through the cruise line, but that was before I was very familiar with CC and realized that you could book insurance through companies at insuremytrip.com. This time we were much wiser and booked our insurance through that site, which saved us some $$$

It's actually pretty remarkable when you use one of the oneline brokers like insuremytrip how different some of the prices can be. You can see a quote for one product from one company that is $100 more than a superior product from the SAME company.

I'm a first time cruiser, and, after looking into things, the policy I liked best was AIG Travel Guard Gold with the add on option to cancel for business reasons. It was the best mix of price and features, but it changes daily -- if you can find that policy near the bottom of the prices you get quoted, it seems to have good features, or did for me.

But you really have to compare yourself -- everything goes into the mix; time of year, specifics about travellers, cost of trip, destination. Each variable that you change leads to different pricing and different products.

I look at insuremytrip and others and they are a little overwhelming with various policies / coverages, etc.

Is there one policy anyone can recommend that's similar to the standard Carnival insurance plan?

You could also try travelex.com We found a good policy for $194.00 for 5 people and children under 16 yrs are free with paying parents.

Wow, alot of things to look and choose. I am with ya The4Cruisers. Theres alot to look at and i'm unsure what I am needing. I do know we are driving so we don't need the ones that deal with air. Decisions :eek:

If you're overwhelmed by the choices on the web site just call them. All of the online comparison sites have a phone number for you to use. Over the phone it would take only a minute or two of answering some simple questions to get the choices whittled down to one or two.

just for ease I usually just do it through the company that I book my cruise from. Not sure that there are HUGE differences. I know there are some, and money differences as well. But as long as I have some kind of insurance I have piece of mind.

just for ease I usually just do it through the company that I book my cruise from. Not sure that there are HUGE differences.

There can be and you'll usually have to look in the fine print to find it. Here's one example since we're a nation of immigrants. Say you want to have the ability to cancel if an elderly parent passes away. So you look at the Travelex policy and see that the trip cancellation benefit covers this:

"Your death, the death of Your Family Member, Business Partner or Your Traveling Companion;"

So you figure you're covered.

But say your folks (or other close relatives) are living in the old country. Unless you read all the way through the definitions you won't find out you're not covered because of this:

""Family Member" means Your:

* legal spouse or common-law spouse (where legal),

* legal guardian,

* legal ward,

* son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law),

* brother or sister (includes step or in-law),

* parent (includes step or in-law),

* grandparent (includes in-law),

* great-grandparent,

* grandchild,

* great-grandchild,

* aunt,

* uncle,

* niece,

* nephew or Key Person,

provided the Family Member resides in the United States, Canada or Mexico."

So for this person, the Travelex plan might be the worst possible choice even though for most others it's a perfectly good choice. The benefits, coverage limits, and premiums may be very similar among several plans but it's not until you get into the fine print that you find the real differences. If you call and speak to an actual person who knows what questions to ask you can avoid these problems.

You can also check out STA, this is advertised as "student" insurance, but it's actually for any one of any age, and it provides the same benefits as the other travel insurers for a LOT less money. In fact, it's provided by AIG.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xch...linsurance.htm

I just priced out my vacation using your STA and insuremytrip.com. I always get Travelex lite. My insurance was a whole dollar cheaper.

I think your STA would have been cheaper had I only needed insurance for 2 people.

Bill

The online agency I book with offers free travel insurance from a 3rd party. If I book directly with the cruise line, I buy insurance by checking out:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

If the choices offered by insuremytrip are too overwhelming, go to tripinsurancestore.com. You can either read the fine print of the pre-selected policies or call them up toll-free and they will help with what you need. The website does a really nice job of showing what is covered and what is not for each of the policies.

Archived