Ketchikan Raptor Center

carmensmom

The Raptor Center is in Sitka, not Ketchikan. Are you thinking of the Hatchery?? Does have a few captive eagles??? You could do it in 2 hours, IF you have no mobility limitations and do the 15 min. walk?? Walk thought downtown, turn left up Park, (turn off before the library),follow until you see the sign on the right. Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center, for details.

The hatchery in Ketchikan has some injured eagles that cannot return to the wild. According to guidebooks, some of the salmon returning to the hatchery become eagle snacks! We visited the Totem Heritage Center nextdoor. Totems from abandoned villages are on display out of the elements. A visit takes about an hour and the interpretive signs and docents are excellent. The salmon were not running in early July so we skipped the hatchery and eagles. You can buy admission to all three and save a few dollars.

Thanks for the info, I guess that maybe it is the hatchery. I could have swore I read on this board somewhere about a Raptor Center in Ketchikan but I havent been able to find it anywhere on the internet. Sounds interesting I think I'll give Captain Ken a call and see if he could pick us up from there for our fishing trip.

Thanks for the info, I guess that maybe it is the hatchery. I could have swore I read on this board somewhere about a Raptor Center in Ketchikan but I havent been able to find it anywhere on the internet. Sounds interesting I think I'll give Captain Ken a call and see if he could pick us up from there for our fishing trip.

A google search found the Deer Mtn. Tribal Hatchery and Raptor Center right away (well the results page said it took 0.23 seconds). :)

Ketchikan is small and walkable. From the hatchery / Raptor Center / Totem Heritage it's a 20-30 minute walk, downhill or level all the way. Just take the street downhill, then follow the signs to the Married Man's Trail and Creek Street. The small boat harbor is at the foot of Creek St. Unless you have mobility issues, the walk is scenic and interesting.

Archived