Jogging tracks on HAL ships?

Hale Bopp

Am considering a HAL cruise and was wondering about being able to get in my daily run. The HAL site says there are running/walking loops on the ships, but I can't find any details, like length of track, obstructions, etc.

Any other runners out there who can advise?

I too always check running facilities before booking a cruise. On Holland, "Vista" class ships (1800 passenger size) have a Promenade deck that is about 1/4-1/3 mile around as I recall. In that there are no staterooms below this area, running is allowed, or at least it was on the Oosterdam when I was aboard about 3 years ago -- I've heard from others that sometimes this becomes controversial if walkers complain, etc.

On the smaller class ships (Ryndam, Rotterdam etc -- 1400 passengers) the Prom deck is closed to runners due to proximity to staterooms. The only running option (other than treadmills) becomes the rectangular area that surrounds the dome above the swimming pool. It's probably about 12-15 laps to the mile, and has square, very tight corners -- a bit hard on the legs after a while -- running for an hour or therabouts can result in sore legs the next day. Also, (unlike the Prom deck) it can be quite windy when the ship is moving into a headwind.

Definitely check the ship that you are planning on going on. When I was on the smaller class of ship I had a room right below the promenade deck and the occasional time you could hear loud noise. For this reason alone there was no running allowed on that ship/deck. I guess you could run on the sports deck, but there wasn't a lot of room or a circular area to run around.

My DH is really going to be disappointed about not being able to jog on the Noordam on our TA crossing in Oct. He gets "beary":mad: if he doesn't get his daily run in and don't suggest the treadmill, he hates them. So you are saying that there is not a designated time that joggers could run on the promenade deck?

Am considering a HAL cruise and was wondering about being able to get in my daily run. The HAL site says there are running/walking loops on the ships, but I can't find any details, like length of track, obstructions, etc.

Any other runners out there who can advise?

Running was allowed on the Westerdam's promenade deck when I was onboard about 18 months ago. It was three laps around per mile, as I recall, and it was wonderful. I believe that other Vista class ships also allow running on the promenade deck, although the Noordam may be an exception. Just don't expect to make good time. There are often many people strolling along enjoying the scenery and space is at a premium. I had to be very careful not to brush against anyone, slowing down or even stopping on rare occasion to give the right-of-way.

The Veendam (and other of its class) does not allow running on the promenade deck, because there are cabins below. There is a sports deck loop above the Lido Deck, but it was something like 13 laps per mile -- makes me dizzy to think about it. Also, it's very exposed to the high winds and weather, so it's not great when the ship is underway.

My DH always runs when we are in port to avoid the walkers on the Promenade however with this cruise there are 8 sea days and just wondered if perhaps they would set aside a time each day for joggers only perhaps 1 hour in the morning and an hour in late afternoon. This would accomodate walkers and joggers.

Hello joggers,

I love the Vista class ships for jogging. 3 times around is accurate for 1 mile.

After 7 cruises on them it seems like a way of life for both joggers and walkers - no issues that I saw or felt.

I just returned home from the Volendam's Alaska cruise and the weather totally sucked so I gave in to the treadmill and it was just fine. Actually, it was a blessing to run without weather issues and see great sights.

Try taking a small dvd player and setting that up on the tread mill! I'm a die hard runner and hate the tread mill but I came up with a plan B and I actually can't wait to run the next morning to watch the second half of a show! Rent a week long movie before you leave home and with a few late days you can get them back upon your return.

OR....do like I do and get up at 5:30, run, then back to bed, problem averted! No one gets up then and you'll have the place to your self! When you get up again in a hour, you think you've dreamed it and I LOVE seeing the sun come up over the ocean!

Hello joggers,

I love the Vista class ships for jogging. 3 times around is accurate for 1 mile.

After 7 cruises on them it seems like a way of life for both joggers and walkers - no issues that I saw or felt.

I just returned home from the Volendam's Alaska cruise and the weather totally sucked so I gave in to the treadmill and it was just fine. Actually, it was a blessing to run without weather issues and see great sights.

Looks like we're booking on Eurodam. I'm a pretty slow runner (average 11-12 minute mile), which isn't much faster than a fast walk.

I usually run in the late afternoon (4 or 5 pm). Any opinions if getting in a good 3 mile run is feasible on the running/walking deck?

Try taking a small dvd player and setting that up on the tread mill! I'm a die hard runner and hate the tread mill but I came up with a plan B and I actually can't wait to run the next morning to watch the second half of a show! Rent a week long movie before you leave home and with a few late days you can get them back upon your return.

OR....do like I do and get up at 5:30, run, then back to bed, problem averted! No one gets up then and you'll have the place to your self! When you get up again in a hour, you think you've dreamed it and I LOVE seeing the sun come up over the ocean!

DVD player is a great idea.

For those who don't have one or don't want to bring it, HAL treadmills have individual tv's for each treadmill. Wonderful.

Archived