Cruise Directors on HAL

mikjr

Sailed with Rick Spath on the '95 Rotterdam World....his wife was aboard as part of the cruise staff. Soon after, they had their first child and Rick quit HAL and went to Disney Cruise Line so he could be in closer contact with his family

See this article for a description of how HAL is changing the Cruise Director's staff as part of the latest signature of excellence upgrades: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2771 This has been in the works for at least a year; on my summer 2007 Zaandam Alaska cruise they had a travel guide who had been a naturalist on previous cruises but now had expanded duties.

The CD on the Caribbean Princess, eastern Caribbean cruises 2005 & 2006, was James (cannot remember his last name). I never once saw him when he wasn't smiling and/or laughing. He also loved to make announcements; I was ready to strangle him by the end of each cruise. Terrific guy, though.

Bob

PS: Anyone know the CD for HAL's Zaandam to Hawaii leaving 12/7/08?

• 5 months later...
On the Oosterdam we had JT Watters who mentioned on the last day that it was HIS last day.quote]

Just returned from the Oosterdam's 14-day Panama Canal transit. JT Watters was the CD. We thought that he was the best CD of all our cruises. Very personable, hands-on CD. He would run from one event to the next and never miss a beat. When we first boarded and saw how young he was, we thought that he might not have the experience to be a great CD, but we were wrong. He did an absolutely wonderful job.

In remembering some of the not-so-good CD's, the name Matt Zak comes to mind. Don't remember which ship he was on, but it was a HAL ship. He was definitely not cut out for the CD job. Never saw him again on a HAL ship, so assume that he left.

I don't get worked up one way or the other about CD's but I had Shane Michaels on the Eurodam and thought he was the nicest guy. He was everywhere and very personable. Glenn the DJ was very good as well.

Should a former disgruntled employee take shots at someone? I don't think I would call out my boss by name on a public forum, even if didnt like him. Sometimes it is best to stay quiet.

• 3 months later...
Looks like CD's come and go quicker than you can say Michael Phelps or Pieter van den Hoogenband. There are some that last but most are here one moment and outahere the next

I would imagine most CD's would "burn out" in a relatively short period of time and that's why you see so many coming and going. The job looks like fun, but I'd bet to be a good CD requires the stamina of a thoroughbred racehorse. You've gotta be young and in shape for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if most good CD's put in a day going from about 7:00 a.m. (at the latest) until well after midnight, with maybe a couple of hours nap squeezed in there somewhere during the day.

I can well understand why most don't stay around for too many years.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I never paid attention to any of this. Never knew the name of any cruise director on any cruise. It's very boring to me. Have no interest in bingo or things like that. Plus, they have very weird voices, shouting out strange things. It's disconcerting, to say the least. "Come see Brad your cruise director for shopping expertise in Grand Cayman". I don't know, it seems that I can see the shopping mall when the ship cruises in. Oh, there's a store!

Two thumbs up for:

Jason Venner

Michelle Worthley

I got off the Volendam last Wednesday and we had a wonderful CD. Here name is Patti Honacki and I thought she was teriffic.

Michelle Worthley and Patti Honacki are both wonderful CDs. They are personable and entertaining.

Woody

Still wondering who the CD is on the Eurodam.

When we sailed Eurodam in March, Johnny Quinn was our CD both weeks. We really liked him very much. Nice, nice fellow.

I hope he is alternating still on Eurodam and possibly we'll see him in January.

We just left Maasdam Saturday and Drew Murdoch was our CD.... also a really nice guy. Very pleasant, friendly......

I'll second the "sail7Seas" praise for CD Drew Murdoch on Maasdam - and he's got a great voice on the PA.

Also, he does something I've never seen a CD do - when we were on Maasdam May 8 - June 6, we noticed that, on all 3 cruises, he 'did the rounds' in the dining room (at least on the upper level, late sitting), stopping to chat at tables and checking to make sure we were enjoying the cruise.

He told us then that he would be replaced by Susan Wood when his contract finishes - forget when - sometime before the Northern Transatlantic starts in mid-July. She's also great - another of our favourites from way back.

Maasdam certainly has a great crew - at all levels.

If that sight doesn't make anyone barf, I don't know what will ... :rolleyes: :D

Gosh, I actually think that looks beautiful. Of course I have no tatoos myself. But I don't think this guy lives in suburbia.

I'll second the "sail7Seas" praise for CD Drew Murdoch on Maasdam - and he's got a great voice on the PA.

Also, he does something I've never seen a CD do - when we were on Maasdam May 8 - June 6, we noticed that, on all 3 cruises, he 'did the rounds' in the dining room (at least on the upper level, late sitting), stopping to chat at tables and checking to make sure we were enjoying the cruise.

He told us then that he would be replaced by Susan Wood when his contract finishes - forget when - sometime before the Northern Transatlantic starts in mid-July. She's also great - another of our favourites from way back.

Maasdam certainly has a great crew - at all levels.

After two days with Drew Murdoch on Maasdam, have to echo those remarks. Very polished CD, goes out of his way to meet and talk to his guests, out on the gangway off Bar Harbor. Funny: on the first night out in the show lounge, told us about Club HAL and advised everyone that the next day they would have 'anchor rides" for the kids!;)

And yes, Susan Wood, one of HAL's best CD's is replacing him on Maasdam, I believe, on 12 JUL, when they depart for Europe. Will find out for sure

I don't even remember the CD from our trip. I remember what the DJ looked like, but don't remember his name. I think he sat in on the drums once for the HALcats. Did a mean version of the drum solo on "Wipeout".

The name Andrew seems to ring a bell?? Anyone know?

Archived