Confused about dining

sjde

I have read different things on this board vs the brochure. Is alternative dining a $5 charge or a $20-$25 charge.

Also are reservations needed for the main dining room?

Thank you.

Susan

I have read different things on this board vs the brochure. Is alternative dining a $5 charge or a $20-$25 charge.

Also are reservations needed for the main dining room?

Thank you.

Susan

Hi Susan !

There is a $5 per person surcharge in the 2 Specialty Restaurants. In Azamara's early days, the surcharge was $20-25. You do not make reservations for the Main Dining Room, it is open seating. Enjoy your Cruise !

On Edit : I believe the $5 per person surcharge is after you have used your 2 nights of complimentary Specialty Dining (3 nights if you are in a Suite). You may wish to double check with Azamara on this. Perhaps another Cruise Critic member will confirm this.

I received confirmation yesterday of our reservation in Aqualina for our upcoming cruise ... with the following details (no mention of a $5. charge for the standard menu, but perhaps it is suggested on arrival at the restaurant):

Aqualina - 3 Menu Options

Standard menu (four courses) - Complimentary

"Tastings" menu (seven courses) - $30.00

"Tastings" menu with wine pairings - $60.00

Prime C

Standard menu - Complimentary

Additional Important Information:

All pricing above is per person.

For Aqualina, in order to partake in the "Tastings" menu, all

individuals at the table will have to order the "Tastings" menu.

We offer two complimentary specialty restaurant dinings to all guests

(one additional complimentary specialty restaurant dining for suite

guests) The complimentary dining applies to the "Standard Menu" only,

and not to the "Tastings" menu.

On my cruise we were presented with a card at the end of a specialty meal with some wording about showing appreciation for the service with a gratuity of $5. It was done very low key and on several occasions the waiter simply forgot to bring the card for each of us to provide the suggested gratuity. We then asked for the cards and signed off on the gratuity but I sensed that if we had walked out and done nothing it probably would not have been noticed. That said, we all thought the service was great and often provided more than the suggested $5 per person tip. No one on the ship ever had their hands out looking for tips, which was very refreshing.

To clarify: Every passenger is guaranteed two or three complimentary non-tasting menu reservations in a specialty restaurant. Additional non-tasting menu meals in a specialty restaurant are also complimentary, other than the suggested gratuity, but must be reserved on a space-available basis. From the web site:

"Guests who have booked a stateroom will receive two nights of complimentary specialty dining, and guests staying in a suite will receive three nights of complimentary specialty dining. Additional complimentary reservations will be accommodated on a space-available basis." (http://www.azamaracruises.com/onboardExperience/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000qfPkduyNT-PQARBKO2uLfJ9:12odmems6?pagename=specialty_dining)

Dave

Maybe someone can help me with a question.

We booked the Journey for our first Azamara cruise. We booked direct. The reservation operator asked if we wanted Main or Late Seating........:confused: This confused us because we told her we thought dinner in the Main Dining room was open seating. She said we needed to pick one.......

Sure enough our reservation confirmation shows "Main Seating"......

I figured she was new, not well informed or something along those lines.....

Anyway I have a reservation showing Main Dining from Azamara and am very confused.........(which is usual)

Thanks for any help in clarification

Jim

It's open seating. Period. Tell the CS Rep whatever you want to satisfy his/her need for misinformation.

Thanks...........I guess we have Main Open Seating.......LOL!!;) Just thought this might be something standard on your reservation confirmation form.

To clarify: Every passenger is guaranteed two or three complimentary non-tasting menu reservations in a specialty restaurant. Additional non-tasting menu meals in a specialty restaurant are also complimentary, other than the suggested gratuity, but must be reserved on a space-available basis. From the web site:

"Guests who have booked a stateroom will receive two nights of complimentary specialty dining, and guests staying in a suite will receive three nights of complimentary specialty dining. Additional complimentary reservations will be accommodated on a space-available basis." (http://www.azamaracruises.com/onboardExperience/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000qfPkduyNT-PQARBKO2uLfJ9:12odmems6?pagename=specialty_dining)

Dave

So I read this as: you get your 2 or 3 nights free - so NO $5 service charge and any subsequent visits you pay $5. Not that I think that anyone will quibble paying $5 but just wanted to make sure.

Please can some one confirm?

So I read this as: you get your 2 or 3 nights free - so NO $5 service charge and any subsequent visits you pay $5. Not that I think that anyone will quibble paying $5 but just wanted to make sure.

My understanding is that the $5 suggested gratuity applies to all dinners in the specialty restaurants.

Dave

No. You are wrong. All dinners in the specialty restaurants are free. The $5 is the suggested tip. You can tip more, less, or none. You can eat in the specialty restaurants free every night if there is a reservation available.

No. You are wrong. All dinners in the specialty restaurants are free. The $5 is the suggested tip. You can tip more, less, or none. You can eat in the specialty restaurants free every night if there is a reservation available.

I just returned yesterday from Journey..I tipped $5 per person (for myself and my grandaughter) EVERY time we ate in the specialty restaurants..whether it was the first or last time..you do not need to tip at all..in fact a couple of times I had to ask for the slip..but the service is so outstanding..I wanted to!!!!!!!!!

Jancruz1

Jan,

I think it is actually suggested that the tip is $5 per person if my memory is correct.

Azamara has stated that the staff in the speciality restaurants do not share in the tips that are added to your account. This is the rationale for the $5. The problem is that if you tip the $5, and I always have, you are still charged automatically for a tip in the main dining room. So you are being charged twice. Azamara should credit these $5 (or more) tips in your total tip payment, but they do not. Of course, the solution is for Azamara to include tips in the total cost of the cruise and have no tips.

BGSS-The main dining room gratuity is essentially an "average" which assumes most passengers will not eat there for every meal (B,L,D) but will try other venues at certain times. Therefore you are not being charged for gratuities twice when you eat in a specialty restaurant. Imagine trying to apportion tips among all the passengers' various dining times and preferences? Can't be done; hence, the "average."

Sorry, you misunderstand. I know the meals are free but I want to know if on the 2/3 nights you get initally: "Every passenger is guaranteed two or three complimentary non-tasting menu reservations in a specialty restaurant."- are you expected to pay the $5 then or is it 'totally absolutely 100% free'. I have had a client ask me and they are the sort of person, who if they could get out of a $5 tip they would.....!

Sorry, you misunderstand. I know the meals are free but I want to know if on the 2/3 nights you get initally: "Every passenger is guaranteed two or three complimentary non-tasting menu reservations in a specialty restaurant."- are you expected to pay the $5 then or is it 'totally absolutely 100% free'. I have had a client ask me and they are the sort of person, who if they could get out of a $5 tip they would.....!

The meal is free ( or at no extra charge unless you opt for the tasting menu which is additional). The tip is suggested, but you would have to be pretty cheap IMHO to stiff the staff that way.

Archived