HELP in selecting cruise- Jan. 09 8yr old

dr28326

Looking at 3 diff. cruises...Carnival Glory, Norwegian Majesty, HAL Veendam in Jan. with 8 yr old. We have $150 credit with HAL, no long drives or flying to Norwegian and Carnival is a newer larger ship and we can get a balcony.

I need help deciding. I am not sure about the kids program on the NCL Majesty or HAL Veendam. I am sure Carnival would be fine.

HAL is my preferred cruiseline, but I've been trying others because I don't like their kids programs. (My kids are currently 8 and 10). The staff have always been great, but the facilities are poor on their ships. They just don't take is as seriously as the other cruiselines, in my experience. I haven't tried either NCL or Carnival yet, but I'm thinking of doing one or the other for my next cruise.

We love our kids, but we chose our cruise last year based on what the adults would like, as there was no way we were going to cruise NCL or Carnival (just not our preference). We don't like mega ships and don't need a lot of organized activities.

We took a 14 year old and an eight year old on the Zuiderdam and they had the best vacation of their lives. We had only 32 kids on our cruise, so the Club certainly was not packed. My eight year old got lots of personalized attention and loved it. She made enough crafts for Christmas gifts for everyone, and one of the staff helped find her wrapping paper to wrap all of them.

The kid's activities certainly are not as elaborate as other ships, but it worked great for my kids and the adults were happy. The staff was absolutely fabulous with them and couldn't do enough to help them with whatever they wanted. They still talk about how fun it was.

Looking at 3 diff. cruises...Carnival Glory, Norwegian Majesty, HAL Veendam in Jan. with 8 yr old. We have $150 credit with HAL, no long drives or flying to Norwegian and Carnival is a newer larger ship and we can get a balcony.

I need help deciding. I am not sure about the kids program on the NCL Majesty or HAL Veendam. I am sure Carnival would be fine.

Just come back from Carnival Liberty and have been on a couple of NCL ships. Our daughter (6) absolutely loved the kids club on both NCL and Carnival. With NCL she cried when leaving the ship and we had to 'bribe' her that we would go on another cruise. At the end of the carnival she wanted to go home to see her cat, but we couldn't keep her away during the cruise.

Carnival is much better for under 3 because they will change diapers which allowed parents more freedom on the ships. Carnival would also administer epi-pen injections and inhalers where as NCL would not.

We've not used HAL but not because of the kids club, but because of the lousy reviews on service, cleanliness and food quality that they've been getting in the past 6 months.

If you were to twist my arm and pick one I would easily choose NCL as they provided a better service and better quality of food than Carnival. Also the Freestyle dining gave us the freedom to feed our daughter earlier and get her into kids club and we could enjoy a peaceful meal by ourselves whenever we wanted. Also the NCL boat had a designated eating area for kids which specially made smaller serving stations where they could chose their own foods (like the adults buffet). There was plentiful supply of healthier options (carrots, vegetables, small cookies, fish etc) where as Carnival was Hambuger, HotDogs and fries all of the times.

Thanks for the replies. I am concerned that the NCL Majesty will not have so much for the kids as it is an older smaller ship. Has anyone had experience on the Majesty with kids?

Also with HAL reviews say there is no actual kids area on the Veendam, they use open deck space like lounges, etc.

Looking to go Jan 17....kids off 2 days that week so thought best time to take her out of school. Think there will be many kids at that time?

Thanks for the replies. I am concerned that the NCL Majesty will not have so much for the kids as it is an older smaller ship. Has anyone had experience on the Majesty with kids?

Also with HAL reviews say there is no actual kids area on the Veendam, they use open deck space like lounges, etc.

Looking to go Jan 17....kids off 2 days that week so thought best time to take her out of school. Think there will be many kids at that time?

No, I don't think there will be many kids on those dates; my kids only have Monday off. Don't know about any other school districts.

I am confused about no kid's area because I found this on HAL's webpage about the Veendam (I have never been on this ship):

Club HAL®: our dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate

The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.

A link to a review that states there are indeed separate facilities:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/2007/06/cruise-club-member-visits-ms-v.html

I am wondering if the profession review on this webpage where it says there are no separate children's facilities may be out-of-date?

There may not be that many kids onboard as most school districts had their break in late December and maybe the first week of January. Our school district (which is the second largest in the country) justs take that Monday of for MLK Day, and the kids are back on Tuesday.

It seems like the kids' programs have more actitivies when there are more kids.

I think MLK day is my birthday... January 15...

In any case... DARN! I saw your post and I was going to suggest joining us on my birthday cruise, but I see you've got specific choices to pick from! I can't comment on the NCL Majesty, since I've never been on her, but I do know that she's one of the older ships, so my advice would be to go over to the NCL board and see if anyone has experience with their kid's crew. I can tell you that on the Dream - also an older ship - it was nowhere near as good as on the Star, which was designed with designated kids areas.

If you're still open to options, we'll be on the Pearl (note my sig) with our 10 year old daughter, Jan 11-18 out of Miami... I know she'd be happy to know there were some more kids along... and they could even correspond before sailing. :) (What can I say? I'm a mom; I'd love to set her up with some cruise friends!)

I think MLK day is my birthday... January 15...

Hey Canadian! I am planning a Birthday Cruise (maybe) on Oasis of the Seas for Jan, 2010!

My bday is Jan 18th :D :D :D

I would go with you on Pearl, but we already have Independence planned for Feb 1, 2009. It will be a belated bday celebration. ;)

Hey Canadian! I am planning a Birthday Cruise (maybe) on Oasis of the Seas for Jan, 2010!

I would go with you on Pearl, but we already have Independence planned for Feb 1, 2009. It will be a belated bday celebration. ;)

I always knew I liked you!! My birthday is just before yours. Wish I could join you for a birthday celebration but work won't allow it!

I thought you were planning the Oasis inaugural cruise?:)

You are the 4th person here that I like that has a bday close. We can all have a heck of a cruise bday if we get together. :D

I'd have to get a new job. The only reason I got to do Maui this past January is that it was my mom's 60th (and my 30th). I really can't be out of the office from January through April. I can say though that there is nothing more fun than on your birthday calling everyone who is stuck at work back home from the middle of a square in San Juan Puerto Rico then heading back to the ship for a massage.:p

The Carnival Glory--definitely! It is a nice, new ship. We were on the Glory two years ago with our kids and loved it.

We also really enjoy NCL due to the Freestyle Dining option, fun kids facilities (ball pits!), and kid-size buffets. But--I would be leery of the NCL Majesty because it is an older ship. Not a fan of old ships.....

CeleBrat

I'd have to get a new job. The only reason I got to do Maui this past January is that it was my mom's 60th (and my 30th). I really can't be out of the office from January through April. I can say though that there is nothing more fun than on your birthday calling everyone who is stuck at work back home from the middle of a square in San Juan Puerto Rico then heading back to the ship for a massage.:p

Hmmmmmm... tax accountant? RSP advisor?

Interestingly enough, I've been able to go away in January the past two years because I've been completing work terms as a tax preparer in an accounting office. Since people don't bother to bring their information in until at least February, that's when I start the work term. :) February to April, though... forget it. I don't even go to the chiropractor!

I second Celebrat's vote for the Carnival Glory. They have the great kids activities almost all day (and night!), arcade, and non-child specific events the kids will also like.

Plus, if you can get a balcony, go for it. The extra space to get away while traveling with the kiddos will be great.

Have a great cruise!:D

Archived