STAR Self-Disembarkation San Pedro to LAX

daldog

Hi Everyone:

New to NCL, going to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star Oct 25 - Nov 1st. Looking forward to the new experience on NCL!

But anyway, I have been reading the discouraging posts regarding the early self-disembarkation process on NCL ..... they make it sound like a zoo.

I realize common advice is that it's stressful and risky, but like many others we're trying to use miles, and you know how that goes. So is an 11am flight out of LAX even do-able? (actually 10:50am, I know. Yikes.) Are there any encouraging words at all from anyone who has done it?

It will be Saturday, only one other ship in port (Sapphire Princess) and we'll be flying United - whatever terminal that is.

Thanks.

We are the same sailing. We have a 12:25 flight, and I am a little worried about that time. I would change your flight if you can.

Three years ago, we were on the Sapphire Princess and were not able to get off the ship until just about 10 am. because of a immigration inspection. All of the employees had to get off the ship and show their paper work and reboard before we were able to get off. We did get to LAX by 11.

We haven't tried self-disembarkment, maybe someone will answer that part of your question.

Hi Everyone:

New to NCL, going to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star Oct 25 - Nov 1st. Looking forward to the new experience on NCL!

But anyway, I have been reading the discouraging posts regarding the early self-disembarkation process on NCL ..... they make it sound like a zoo.

I realize common advice is that it's stressful and risky, but like many others we're trying to use miles, and you know how that goes. So is an 11am flight out of LAX even do-able? (actually 10:50am, I know. Yikes.) Are there any encouraging words at all from anyone who has done it?

It will be Saturday, only one other ship in port (Sapphire Princess) and we'll be flying United - whatever terminal that is.

Thanks.

Lets say the ship docks at 7am , theres little chance you will be allowed

off before 8-8:30am , then customs , taxi , trafic. . 1 hour minimum.

airport security probably an hour . And thats if it all goes smooth.

You can chance it but it will be tight.

Are you in a suite?? That will help

"were not able to get off the ship until just about 10 am. because of a immigration inspection."

Whew, that would be bad!

But for your flight, I'll bet you'll be just fine.

I am currently leaning towards not taking the risk, but because we're coming from the East coast our other flight option is pretty ugly too. Just not the same kind of ugly.:rolleyes:

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to cut it that tight. You're hoping that all goes as fast as possible. You could get tied up shipboard by ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement), the taxi line might be slow, there could be an accident on the freeway to LAX. The time you're trying to get to LAX is also primetime at the airport, even on a Saturday. The lines can be long. And, who knows, you might end up with that one TSA agent who decides you need some "special handling". I like to be prepared for those kind of contingencies, so I always err on the side of having to spend a little more time at the airport.

I wouldn't spend my morning (and probably the evening before) worrying about making the flight. Book a later flight and leave yourself time to breathe and relax.

Ugh. I know ... I guess I should wise up and give in. I was just hoping someone would say "Yes. NCL self-disembarkation is great, piece of cake!" Or something like that in my fantasy world .....:o

So my other choice that is later is out of John Wayne/Orange County. Do the SuperShuttles or whatever that are lining up go out there too? You just get in line or book ahead?

Thanks everybody!

Ugh. I know ... I guess I should wise up and give in. I was just hoping someone would say "Yes. NCL self-disembarkation is great, piece of cake!" Or something like that in my fantasy world .....:o

So my other choice that is later is out of John Wayne/Orange County. Do the SuperShuttles or whatever that are lining up go out there too? You just get in line or book ahead?

Thanks everybody!

I've never done the shuttles. But, for you, I did a quick Ask for shuttle from LA cruise port to John Wayne. I got a hit from a shuttle service that is "Prime Time" stuff. Looks like a shared van for 2 people would be $45. But, it's best if you look for a website (:)) and see what they offer.

You can go to the West Coast Departure forum on Cruise Critic and get loads of information with what you need. From prices of the shuttles, taxi's, hotel's just about anything.

You might consider spending Sat. night and flying out on Sunday.

I use ask.com as my search engine. Maybe it found something you didn't. Maybe I hit the "Prime Time" shuttle search time (hint, hint).

Yes, I found some options .. thanks again so much. And during "prime time" they'll take us to our hotel too .... so I think that's how we'll go.

You can go to the West Coast Departure forum on Cruise Critic and get loads of information with what you need. From prices of the shuttles, taxi's, hotel's just about anything.

You might consider spending Sat. night and flying out on Sunday.

I did search the forum - find lots on LAX and even LGB but not so much on SNA, except that it was an option. I gave up on the 11am flight and now we're booked out of SNA at 1:40pm so that should be good. Its not the prettiest trip home, but oh well. Because of the time difference we'd rather fly out same day, but we're definitely coming in the night before - that worries me way more. I could stand it if I missed my plane home, but miss the cruise??!!! :eek:

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Here is a tip....There are fewer shuttle runs to SNA versus LAX. SNA is much smaller than LAX.

Make sure you book the shuttle before the cruise.

You are wise to book the later flight. Why ruin the last day of your cruise fretting about making your flight.

On our Star cruise, we were late arriving into port by several hours due to a suicide jumper off the ship while we were leaving Cabo and then the police in Long Beach had to clear the ship before anyone could disembark. Everyone missed their flights.

And yes, the express disembarkation process is a zoo on the Star.

I haven't driven in L.A. for a while (thank God), but last time I did, the San Diego Frwy (I-405) up to LAX was a parking lot, 24/7. I would be willing to bet a large chunk of my retirement check that you won't be able to make your flight...

Hey DALDOG!

Why not eliminate the worry altogether and just stay another night in San Padro or Long Beach AFTER your cruise??? :confused:

That's what we chose to do, as those flights back to NY were either too early (like your 11AM one) or over nighters where we would have had to hang around all day with our luggage anyway!

By staying another night, you can get up, have a nice breakfast, and head home relaxed instead of stressed! :)

Remember...for your 11AM flight, it is recommended you be AT the airport by around 9AM, and that will never happen on the cruise. The days of running into the airport just minutes before your flight are long over!

GOOD LUCK!

Hey DALDOG!

Why not eliminate the worry altogether and just stay another night in San Padro or Long Beach AFTER your cruise??? :confused:

$ mostly and pet-sitter and time off for work, etc etc. Once its done, we like to get back usually. We're already spending an extra nite before.

Remember...for your 11AM flight, it is recommended you be AT the airport by around 9AM, and that will never happen on the cruise. The days of running into the airport just minutes before your flight are long over!

I know - it's a bummer. That used to be my preferred method; drove my old boss crazy when we had to go somewhere together ;)

It's all ok - I gave up on my crazy scheme and booked a later flight and will pre-arrange our shuttle.

Great thread, thanks! The Star doesn't get in until 8 am, at least that is true on our Feb cruise. We had looked at booking a 10:50 flight also but decided that would never work so have opted for a mid afternoon flight. One thing you might want to consider is a red-eye flight. That would give you all day to do something in LA and you could sleep on the plane. :)

What port does the Star dock at and how far is that from LAX?

We have a pet sitting issue also. Usually one of our DDs would do it but it is possible neither one will be able to so any advise on that would be helpful. Dog is 13 and cat is 15 and have not been in a kennel.

Thanks!

What port does the Star dock at and how far is that from LAX?

We have a pet sitting issue also. Usually one of our DDs would do it but it is possible neither one will be able to so any advise on that would be helpful. Dog is 13 and cat is 15 and have not been in a kennel.

Thanks!

From my research I believe its about 19 miles from LAX to San Pedro cruise docks, it's called Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center .... keeping in mind, I have not actually done it yet!

I wouldn't be doing this cruise if my parents couldn't come and stay in the house with our 2 dogs.... its too many days away even for using our regular sitter. My regular pet sitter that we use for shorter trips comes over 3 times a day, gets the mail and all, but doesn't stay over. If it was me, I would feel your's are kind of elderly for stressing them out at a kennel if they've never been. :( But then again, I work at shelters, so I know first hand that most dogs don't owner-seek much at all. They actually adjust just fine, I just can't seem to apply that reality to my own!

Any neighbors willing to at least feed the cat? Can the dog go stay at someone else's house? Some pet sitters will stay over in your house but to choose one now, get references from someone you know well. You could ask your vet for references, most usually give them - or maybe board the dog at your vet? When my last dog got old, I stopped using a regular kennel and left him at my vet - not as much exercise, but that way if he had a problem, I knew he was in the right hands.

Excellent thoughts! :) At their age a kennel is not really an option. One daughter we might be able to bribe with Brewer tickets to watch the cat. She did that last year and loves going to the games so I can't figure out why that would be a problem. Maybe if she only came over every couple days. But she refuses to watch the dog which is also strange because Oreo is a really nice dog. Our other daughter and her husband have a really small apartment and now even less since they have a baby. Neigbors might be an option.

Is getting off the Star more complicated than other NCl ships? We got off the Pearl from an Alaska Cruise, in minutes, took the color coded tags for 8:30am, walked off handed our custom forms to "someone" not even a glance at them, walked over picked up our bag and were off to the parking garage, in fact in less than 5 minutes. We are considering a cruise on the Star in February or April, want to take a flight home at 1:00pm, has this time line affected anyone adversely??

Is getting off the Star more complicated than other NCl ships?

Other posts make it sound like it! (which is why I even asked in the first place.) But this is all in regards to the early, self disembarkation. And I guess partly, LAX itself ....... if that's where you're flying out of, sounds kind of time-consuming.

And it sounds like where it gets crowded with the self-disembarkation is everyone lines up for immigration at once. But once that's out of the way, and if you do the regular color tag disembarkation, people make that sound relatively painless. I bet people will tell you 1 pm should be fine.

After reading this thread, I dedided that perhaps our 11:25 am flight from LAX on Southwest was a little to tight. In reviewing later flights, I found one that departed LAX at 1:00pm and arrives in BAltimore 5 minutes after my original arrival. No additional cost (you gotta luv Southwest) and a lot less stress. Thanks all you posters for the heads up!

Islandfan

Archived