Danube River Cruise Oct 2009 on Gate1 Travel questions

dcfree

14 Day Danube River Cruise with Budapest & Prague - Budapest to Regensburg (Royal)

This will be our first river cruise. It is with Gate1 Travel, boat is the MS Royal. Has anybody experience Gate1 Tours? Food? Optional Excursions? Accomodation? Our travel agent says go on Amadeous. Our concern is that this may not be the best river cruise? Also our friends are picking Oct 8 departure? Is it too cold then? What is best time for river cruise?

Dave

We are going on the Amadeus Royal through Gate 1 Travel on August 31 - 7 nights down the Danube. We will give you feedback when we return. Also, if anyone else has been on this river cruise, could you give me some feedback on what to wear for dinner - is it dressup? Also, any other information would be great. This is our first river cruise and we really don't know what to expect.

Thanks!!

Dave,

Just to clarify the ship is the MS AMADEUS ROYAL owned and operated by the Austrian cruise company Lueftner.

This has nothing to do with now AMAWaterways which changed their name from Amadeus Waterways to AMAWaterways.

steamboats

We did this trip in October with Avalon. The weather was perfect that year. We could sit on the sun deck without jackets and only had light rain in Vienna. Hope you have the same luck. Enjoy!

I went on MS Symphony, sister ship to the Royal, in March with GATE 1. We had snow by Nuremburg!! Went from Nuremburg to Amsterdam. We knew it was going to be early in the season, but it was great because the ship was not full, and the sites definitly were not as crowded as in the summer. Don't know what October would be like, but I would definitly go shoulder season.

No compliants with Gate 1 or the ship. I am on the young side (egads - 40), but was traveling with my parents - 69yrs. It was a little too "relaxing" for me, but it was just right for my folks. We all had a good time. There were various ages on the boat, most were definitly over 50, but there were plenty of folks in their 50's and 60's as well as 70's and up.

Dinner was not formal; most of us just changed clothes from what we wore during the day. It varied. Some people were more dressy, but most were kinda like "business casual." Food was great (I LOVED the soups), and they really did give you all the free wine you wanted with dinner (red, white, or blush).

I did not join in any evening activities after dinner, so can't comment on that.

I would have liked more time at each destination visited, but you can't see everything when you have to move along the river. All in all it was a great way to travel with my folks, and I may do another one going downstream from Nuremburg.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be on the MS Royal with Gate 1 sailing from Nuremberg to Amsterdam Sept. 14 - 21, with three days in Prague pre-cruise. I'll give you feedback when we return. Incidentally, I posted a roll call for this sailing some time ago and there has been no response. I'm wondering what the weather will be like in Prague, Amsterdam, and the German towns on the Rhine and Main rivers.

We are going on the Amadeus Royal through Gate 1 Travel on August 31 - 7 nights down the Danube. We will give you feedback when we return. Also, if anyone else has been on this river cruise, could you give me some feedback on what to wear for dinner - is it dressup? Also, any other information would be great. This is our first river cruise and we really don't know what to expect.

Thanks!!

I hope you had a good cruise- plese give us teh details- the good and the bad

thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the Danube Cruise in March thru Gate 1. It was cool but not uncomfortable, except for our day in Salzburg. It snowed the entire day & was very cold. However I took some of the best pictures that day. They do have a few optional tours. Be sure you do the day trip to Salzburg. It’s a beautiful town. Go on the Amadeus Royal if you have a choice. From what I understand that same crew will still be with that ship. We had the nicest, funniest waiter for most of our trip. His name was Gabor. There was usually some kind of entertainment in the evenings, sometimes by the crew & they were too funny. The cabin was always clean with a small but adequate bathroom. I had a great time. The food was really good, much better than I expected. Dress was casual in the evenings except for the last night. Most people dressed a little nicer for the farewell dinner & for our evening out in Vienna. The crew was a lot of fun & couldn’t have been more accommodating. Our guides were well informed & very friendly. The boat was only about 1/3 full so we met some very nice people. They were pretty good about allowing you some free time to go out on your own while touring which was nice. You’ll have a great time.

Archived