Crown Princess vs Celebrity Summit

Travelalot2

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two ships? We are looking at both of them for a med. cruise next year. We usually travel on RCCL and this is the first time we are using a different cruise line. We love the Brilliance class on RCCL. Our next favorite is the Navigator class. Thanks!

I have never cruised on Princess but I have been on the Summit twice.

Lovely ship, well cared for, very clean. Very pretty but not at all glitzy, I have friends that sailed on the Millennium ships and their first impression was one of disappointment- for the WOW factor is missing..... but they ended up loving the ship!They greet you with a harpist playing or a pianist and they serve you either champagne or juice from silver trays.

all the staff are profoundly polite and accommodating. at sea days platters of home made sherbet are passed around by waiters in full formal dress. When you board the ship after a busy day touring they greet you with juice, water and cold washcloths.

The dining room food is very good. The pastries , unfortunately are excellent !!!

Sushi is very simple but very good.

The thallo pool area is very nice. I love that indoor pool, and the spa ( healthy food ) is very good.

As a whole their are not many children on Celebrity. I have 4 children and adore them but I must admit I do like more adults when I am traveling without them.

The entertainment was very good. The music in the bars--can be variable.

The cruise IMHO, is more quiet. Actually I would like to see a tad more activities available. If you want belly flopping contests, DO NOT go Celebrity.

Join a roll call- we have met and made good friends and had allot of fun on the cruises.

Hope that helps a little bit.

** If you can snag an aft cabin -GO FOR IT !!1 FABULOUS ( you can easily fit 20 people on the balcony. Great view

Enjoy your cruise

Nadine

you need to look at the ports of call, hours there etc. i have only been on hte Crown out of SJ and i prefered the ports from the Crown over the Summit ports.

food was ok. mini suites were nice. wait staff good. shows i had seen them so..

The Summit is Venice to Barcelona. The Crown is Venice to Rome. The crown goes to a few greek islands that I haven't been to (Olympia Rhodes and Corfu). But, the Summit goes to Livorno, Nice and Barcelona DH and I cruised the med last year and saw Barcelona, Nice, etc., but, my daughter. I'm leaning towards Princess now due to her having more kids her age around (she's 17).

Our last two cruises have been on the Crown and the Summit, respectively. I would put the Crown Princess way ahead of the Summit. Dining and other options, beauty of ship, and layout are all superior on the Crown.

We always liked the food on Celebrity, but found that the quality had declined since our previous Celebrity cruise on the Galaxy. That Galaxy cruise was before RCCL took over Celebrity, so maybe that change had something to do with it. The Summit didn't even have cream (half & half) for coffee, only non-dairy. Maybe that's nothing for a lot of people, but it is a big deal for us.

To be fair, the dining room food on the Crown isn't so great, either, but the Cafe Caribe is wonderful for all meals.

Another thing we liked very much on the Crown was Movies Under the Stars. You should find out about that. Very nice feature.

I don't want to leave the impression that the Summit cruise was bad. It wasn't, but the Crown was nicer, in my opinion.

Come right down to it, I've never been on a bad cruise. I love them.

We haven't sailed on the Summit but were on a 14 night cruise on the Infinity (a sister ship to the Summit, I believe) and 2 cruises on the Crown. I prefer Celebrity over Princess overall --- but Celebrity is missing a big plus for me --- anytime dining.

Celebrity, IMHO, is a bit more classy and their ships are a nicer than Princess. The service on Celebrity is what is worlds above Princess and they don't seem to be hassling you for extra tips . money making opportunities the entire time.

It really is all in what you prefer but think the overall experience on Celebrity is much more relaxing and pampering. I like the size of the Mellenium class ships of Celebrity....nice big ships without the 3000+ pax of the Crown. We sailed on the Crown shortly after its inaugural cruise and to be fair, went a second time the following year and think a lot of lessons were learned (by the staff). The experience was better the second time around on the Crown -- but still had not met the excellence of Celebrity.

With that said --- our next sailing is on Princess --- but not on a ship as big as the Crown. To me, 3000+ pax is just too many people --- but that is really just a personal choice. I do love the anytime dining but if you do go on the Crown --- just a fair warning about the buffet --- NIGHTMARE!!! Who ever designed that area should have to walk the plank.

Archived