Denali Road Lottery -- WE WON!!

TenerifeSharon

Sharon - Many congratulations!:D

I wouldn't want to give my age away, but we camped at Wonder Lake with our children a looooooooooooong time ago. Still remember it. I'm sure the road has improved since.

We'll be thinking of good weather for you on the 12th. Nancy

I am rather surprised about all the comments on driving the road. It isn't like you are driving around mountain corners with someone on your tail going 75 miles an hour.

Actually, a good deal of the road is thru the mountains (four passes to cross). After Tek, it is a one lane road (technically, one and a half lanes). The limit for RVs is 30 feet if I remember correctly. Anything bigger would not be able to negotiate some of the corners. The speed limit is between 20 and 35 mph, but we all know what happens when A-type SUV drivers are let out unsupervised (one of them passed me near Healy yesterday doing at least 90-95).

The biggest thrill is Polychrome Pass, which has one lane with some passing pullouts, a 1000+ foot drop off and no guard rails. The bus drivers have a very strict system worked out of who will yield where, but you always hear moaning from somewhere on the bus when it pulls over to the dropoff to let someone pass. I have heard rumors of first-time lottery winners who just stopped their RV/car on the pass and refused to go any further.

Sharon, congratulations - the park is fabulous and the colors are amazing right now (see pix taken last night). You will have a great time! If you need anything, I'm in Fairbanks, and would be glad to help out. You can email me at akwolfie11@yahoo.com.

DSC00655.jpg.7a994c8538401bd8ce0f1eb124aef67b.jpg

DSC00664.jpg.3b646738880d7772f8865047bf2e4e61.jpg

Actually, a good deal of the road is thru the mountains (four passes to cross). After Tek, it is a one lane road (technically, one and a half lanes). The limit for RVs is 30 feet if I remember correctly. Anything bigger would not be able to negotiate some of the corners. The speed limit is between 20 and 35 mph, but we all know what happens when A-type SUV drivers are let out unsupervised (one of them passed me near Healy yesterday doing at least 90-95).

The biggest thrill is Polychrome Pass, which has one lane with some passing pullouts, a 1000+ foot drop off and no guard rails. The bus drivers have a very strict system worked out of who will yield where, but you always hear moaning from somewhere on the bus when it pulls over to the dropoff to let someone pass. I have heard rumors of first-time lottery winners who just stopped their RV/car on the pass and refused to go any further.

Sharon, congratulations - the park is fabulous and the colors are amazing right now (see pix taken last night). You will have a great time! If you need anything, I'm in Fairbanks, and would be glad to help out. You can email me at akwolfie11@yahoo.com.

Wolfie, thanks a million! It looks fantastic and I am thrilled that we won't have to miss it. And, we'd love to meet you but, unfortunately, we won't be able to get as far as Fairbanks this trip.

During the lottery, the instructions are even more - rightfully so - restrictive. RVs over 22 feet are not allowed past Teklanika, presumably because of all of us "amateurs".

We are just so grateful for all the wonderful help we've gotten via the internet. Your very generous offer to contact you is in addition to two "drivers with allowable vehicles" for our day. WOW - I am overwhelmed:D.

• 3 weeks later...

We're now back in Anchorage, having turned in our rental RV (with not a single scratch or ding or anything else, I might add:D) to Great Alaskan Holidays (which was an excellent company to deal with). Our day in Denali was PHENOMENAL -- the weather was brilliant (perfect, actually -- the best weather of the summer apparently), the scenery was incredible and the wildlife sightings were overwhelming (12 bears including 6 grizzlies, caribou, moose, Dall Sheep, even an arctic squirrel).

Our good samaritan, whom I found through a posting on flyertalk, was wonderful (although his car looked like it had been through a mud bath by the end of the day since it had been raining for several days non-stop before our visit). We drove the 90 miles to Wonder Lake and took over 500 pictures (can't imagine how many thousand we will have by the time we return from asia at the end of October). I'll post a selection in an album when I finally get home again. BTW, even our back-up driver appeared at the park for us -- just in case the first person didn't show up. How's that for generosity?

Thanks for all your good wishes! We'd do it all over again in a heartbeat:D (and hope to again someday soon).

We're now back in Anchorage, having turned in our rental RV (with not a single scratch or ding or anything else, I might add:D) to Great Alaskan Holidays (which was an excellent company to deal with). Our day in Denali was PHENOMENAL -- the weather was brilliant (perfect, actually -- the best weather of the summer apparently), the scenery was incredible and the wildlife sightings were overwhelming (12 bears including 6 grizzlies, caribou, moose, Dall Sheep, even an arctic squirrel).

Our good samaritan, whom I found through a posting on flyertalk, was wonderful (although his car looked like it had been through a mud bath by the end of the day since it had been raining for several days non-stop before our visit). We drove the 90 miles to Wonder Lake and took over 500 pictures (can't imagine how many thousand we will have by the time we return from asia at the end of October). I'll post a selection in an album when I finally get home again. BTW, even our back-up driver appeared at the park for us -- just in case the first person didn't show up. How's that for generosity?

Thanks for all your good wishes! We'd do it all over again in a heartbeat:D (and hope to again someday soon).

Thanks for reporting back. So often we never hear again from posters who were helped out a lot on this forum. You were very fortunate to have such wonderful weather in Denali. I do understand that this September has been pretty good, especially considering how cold and rainy the earlier part of summer was. We will be looking forward to your photos.

the scenery was incredible and the wildlife sightings were overwhelming (12 bears including 6 grizzlies, caribou, moose, Dall Sheep, even an arctic squirrel).

QUOTE]

Are you sure they weren't ALL "grizzlies"??? I've never seen any other bears in Denali.

So glad you enjoyed your trip. We drove in on Sunday as far as Eielson Visitor Center and it was spectacular. Only saw 10 grizzlies but also caught a fox. Amazing all the bears found in such a concentrated area about 60 miles out.

Denali never ceases to amaze.

Archived