Miami public transportation

aimee0715

Is it possible to take public transportation from the Miami airport to (or close to) the Holiday Inn Port of Miami? Also, is it feasible to walk to the port from the HI?

I would not recommend it. Public transportation (buses) are not the most reliable. You could go to the Metro Rail station and take the metro rail to downtown and then the metro mover will leave you very close to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, however if you are carrying luggage, it would be a bit more difficult than taking a taxi cab to the hotel. (It also makes anyone more of a target for muggers, as they immediately know that you are a tourist). The taxi cab fare should be around $25.00 from the airport to the Holiday Inn.

No, you can not walk from your hotel to the Port of Miami, however the taxi cab fare should be less than $10.00

If you are not familiar with the public transit system here don't do it.

It's way too hot and you have to really haul your butt over the bridge to walk to the actual port. Even more diastrous with luggage.

cab it all the way.

Is it possible to take public transportation from the Miami airport to (or close to) the Holiday Inn Port of Miami? Also, is it feasible to walk to the port from the HI?

momofsamandedenGo to googles public transit page and select Miami Dade transit. From there you type in both addresses and it will give you precise instructions on buses etc

Thanks for this info! I was able to use this feature and find out that we could get from FLL airport (found a waaay cheaper flight into FLL than MIA) to our hotel very easily for $4.50 per person. We'll be taking Tri-rail to the metrorail transfer station, Metrorail to the Government Center Station, and then onto the Metromover to Bayside Station. Its a 2 minute walk from Bayside to our hotel. We will not have an unmanageable amount of luggage this time due to new checked baggage fees so I don't think that will a big hassle for us.

Also, on the tri-rail site under "destinations" I found lots of area attractions and how to get to them with public transportation. I think we will try to get to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens since we are getting in early the day before our cruise leaves.

Thanks for this info, momofsamandeden! I was able to use the google public transit feature and find out that we could get from FLL airport (found a waaay cheaper flight into FLL than MIA) to our hotel very easily for $4.50 per person. We'll be taking Tri-rail to the metrorail transfer station, Metrorail to the Government Center Station, and then onto the Metromover to Bayside Station. Its a 2 minute walk from Bayside to our hotel. We will not have an unmanageable amount of luggage this time due to new checked baggage fees so I don't think that will a big hassle for us.

Also, on the tri-rail site under "destinations" I found lots of area attractions and how to get to them with public transportation. I think we will try to get to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens since we are getting in early the day before our cruise leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
We have plenty of time. We're scheduled to get in at 10:20 AM the day before we leave.

Could you please post how your travels went. We're coming in the day before and planning to take the exact same route in December. We're not planning on walking to the port though.

Thanks,

Lij

If you are not familiar with the public transit system here don't do it.

It's way too hot and you have to really haul your butt over the bridge to walk to the actual port. Even more diastrous with luggage.

cab it all the way.

Way too hot is an understatement...i took public transporation to the Brickell area....first, kinda scary, second WAY too hot to haul luggage....and when i got to the hotel and walked past 2 bellman, a doornman and a couple valets, not a SINGLE ONE offered to help me with my stuff...i mearly passed out n the lobby of the JW Marriott...literally!

take a cab........it's worth the expense..trust me!

Thanks for this info, momofsamandeden! I was able to use the google public transit feature and find out that we could get from FLL airport (found a waaay cheaper flight into FLL than MIA) to our hotel very easily for $4.50 per person. We'll be taking Tri-rail to the metrorail transfer station, Metrorail to the Government Center Station, and then onto the Metromover to Bayside Station. Its a 2 minute walk from Bayside to our hotel. We will not have an unmanageable amount of luggage this time due to new checked baggage fees so I don't think that will a big hassle for us.

Be advised that tri-rail is NOT luggage friendly..there are a few steps and the conductors will not help...nor will they pull the train up the the handicapped ramp so you can just roll it on....and tri rail is RARELY on time,....the bayside station is NOT at bayside market place...it is probably closer to the holiday inn (If that is where you area staying)

just keep your wits about you! good luck!

Welcome to Miami..where the theme is "manana, manana, manana" and the industry loves to make their buck by ripping off tourists!

Seriously, Miami is a wonderful city and it's a great place to be for a tourist as there is so much to do for so little money. The only thing I think that gives a tourist a bad feel is if they don't plan to SPEND money when they vacation here. People will spend hundreds or thousands for a cruise and then try to cut costs by "nickle and diming" something like transportation. Then, they blame the area and say it's too expensive, etc. That is MY opinion..not necessarily shared by others!:)

When you plan to visit a certain area, you have to prepare financially and mentally that you may have to suck it up and pay more for certain things. Like if you plan to dine in south beach, be prepared to pay $4.00 for a coke with no free refills, etc., and then don't complain about it later. Stuff like that.

That happened at the Marriott? You are kidding! That is my FAV Marriott hotel in the whole country and I've never had that happen! I've stayed there a lot and at many others in the USA! You should complain to their 800 number, they will address it.

Way too hot is an understatement...i took public transporation to the Brickell area....first, kinda scary, second WAY too hot to haul luggage....and when i got to the hotel and walked past 2 bellman, a doornman and a couple valets, not a SINGLE ONE offered to help me with my stuff...i mearly passed out n the lobby of the JW Marriott...literally!

take a cab........it's worth the expense..trust me!

Archived