Help w/cabin selection, Jewel of the Seas

Liesel

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of taking the Panama Canal cruise on Jewel of the Seas (10 nights). I have been checking on good deals on rooms with balcony. It seems that the more reasonable cabins listed with RCI have obstructed views. Is there any way we can find out what cabins would be nice. Is mid-ship better than front or back, etc. Also, if it states, you will be assigned a cabin after full payment, how will I know what type of cabin?

Thanks for the response. Liesel

If you book a specific then you will know because you picked it. If you book a guarantee, you definitely might end up with one of the obstructed balconies, BUT the obstructions are very minor on the Jewel. They are ladders so not a big deal.

I did the Panama on the Brilliance (Jewel's sister) and it was wonderful. We had an aft cabin so we were able to watch the lock doors close behind us while we were eating our room service breakfast. It was wonderful.

Try looking at 7108,7094,8102 and 8088 - these cabins have an extra-large balcony.

And 7092, 8104 and 8086 have a larger than normal balcony. These are E-1 cabins; mid-ship, on the hump next to the elevator. Noise is not a problem.

We had 8102 going through the Canal - fantastic!

Any balcony on Jewel will be just fine. The "obstructions" are VERY minor and you tend to forget they are even there! (I had one and speak from experience!!!)

During the canal passage, you don't want to stay on your balcony, anyway. To get the full flavor of the canal and all it entails, you need to view everything from different points on the ship--different deck levels, all sides of the ship, etc.... If you plant yourself in 1 place, you'll be missing too much! May as well read about it in a magazine!

Any balcony on Jewel will be just fine. The "obstructions" are VERY minor and you tend to forget they are even there! (I had one and speak from experience!!!)

During the canal passage, you don't want to stay on your balcony, anyway. To get the full flavor of the canal and all it entails, you need to view everything from different points on the ship--different deck levels, all sides of the ship, etc.... If you plant yourself in 1 place, you'll be missing too much! May as well read about it in a magazine!

Well said!!

My DW and I went thru the canal with my MIL and FIL. They had a cabin on the other side, so it was great to be able to roam back and forth, as well as heading for a bow view and stern view. I don't plan on doing it again...........so wanted to take everything in.

We did just the Gatun locks and lake in 1996, and that was interesting, but doing the full transit was a real treat!!

Rick

Call RCL!

We got a sweet corner aft balcony on 12/11/09 (9256) by calling because it did not show up on the website. Infact, there were many open aft balconies available.

We are looking forward to it...can you tell we prefer the aft:)

One difference we notice is balcony cabins that are in te 'thicker' part of the ship. Like near the front. Those D1 balconies in the 'thinner' part of the ship often look down into another balcony or lifeboats on the prom deck. From most E1s in the thicker sections, you can look essentially straight down to water.

Important to some, not a deal breaker.

If you plan to have large parties on your balcony, certainly look for aft selections, but there is a lack of a breeze back there that usually keeps us booking side cabins. If getting a hump, we only like the very center ones, so you can see both ways.

We had 9576 this past February and loved it so much we booked it again for a PC cruise in 3/2010. It has a larger than normal balcony and a view all the way down to the water - not blocked by anything. The location is perfect - a hump cabin near the library. It is by far the quietest cabin we have ever had.

Archived