Waitlisted

janesm

I just tried to book a Sept 2009 cruise on Navigator and was waitlisted. Is this a common occurrance this far ahead? Do most people who are waitlisted this early eventually get a confirmed booking?

I booked a back to back ( Sept 28th + Oct 9th ) with this as the first cruise 4 months ago and recently was informed by my TA that the second cruise ( Oct 9th ) was unavailable now as the ship had since been chartered. It may be that others who only booked the Oct 9th cruise have decided to change ( if the inducement was right ) hence the cruise may be fully booked.

I have NEVER been assigned a cabin if waitlisted on Regent, (I don't know about other lines as I have never accepted a possition on a waitlist). I have come to believe that waitlisting on Regent is their nice way of saying they are sold out. I have taken the attitude that if I am offerend a waitlist, I just move on to another cruise. Case in point, I am booked on a HAL cruies this winter on a very similar itinerary to one that I wanted to book with Regent. The reason? Because I was only offered waitlist for the Regent cruise I really wanted, and did not want to miss this cruise. Last year I waited on the waitlist and when they finally told me it was a NO GO, it was to late to book something else. Always a crap shoot on a waitlist and I'm not much of a gambler when it comes to vacation.

I was really disappointed to read cruisinbanjo's post and thought about coming up with another plan, however, we just were told we are off the waitlist and have a reserved cabin! Life is good.

I was really disappointed to read cruisinbanjo's post and thought about coming up with another plan, however, we just were told we are off the waitlist and have a reserved cabin! Life is good.

That is Great news! Glad it worked out for you!:)

I was told I would have to be waitlisted for the 9/27 Venice to Istanbul and but wanted to go back to back on the 10/4 Istanbul to Athens that was available. I was not going to book the 2nd leg without confirmation on the first so Regent said to waitlist them both and because I put a deposit down and was doing both legs I had a better chance of getting the first leg as they go thru by hand all the waitlists every day. After final payment was due for the 9/27 ( a good time I am told waitlists can be filled) a horizon cat C opened so I got that room on both. I believe if I only had one on waitlist I would not have gotten it even with a deposit. More than one operator on the phone said the same thing. Not very many cancellations for Regent. My first time sailing with them. Hope it worth it.

You are going to love it! Catagory C is good space in good areas of the ship. I generally try to book either a Catogory D, (best value for the $$ IMHO), or I spend the money on a suite. but, either way it is hard to go wrong on Regent. Did you take the Free Air, or are you booking air yourself? I'm always curious to see what routings andn timing the cruise lines provide.

I wish I was cruising now!

I was told I would have to be waitlisted for the 9/27 Venice to Istanbul and but wanted to go back to back on the 10/4 Istanbul to Athens that was available. I was not going to book the 2nd leg without confirmation on the first so Regent said to waitlist them both and because I put a deposit down and was doing both legs I had a better chance of getting the first leg as they go thru by hand all the waitlists every day. After final payment was due for the 9/27 ( a good time I am told waitlists can be filled) a horizon cat C opened so I got that room on both. I believe if I only had one on waitlist I would not have gotten it even with a deposit. More than one operator on the phone said the same thing. Not very many cancellations for Regent. My first time sailing with them. Hope it worth it.

Thanks for the encouragement. After reading all the horror stories about a rear horizon suite, but it is still better being on the ship than at home on the sofa! I took the upgrade business class air for an additional $2,500. I am going from San Diego - united to Chicago. Lufthansa to Munich, air dolimiti to Venice. Air agean to Munich from Athens, United to Chicago and then United to San Diego. All the air I found was over $6k.

Thanks for the encouragement. After reading all the horror stories about a rear horizon suite, but it is still better being on the ship than at home on the sofa! I took the upgrade business class air for an additional $2,500. I am going from San Diego - united to Chicago. Lufthansa to Munich, air dolimiti to Venice. Air agean to Munich from Athens, United to Chicago and then United to San Diego. All the air I found was over $6k.

If it were me I would ask my agent to get an air deviation (small fee pp) and fly out of LAX direct to Amsterdam with connicting flight to Venice Italy., on KLM. Its only about 14 hours as compared to 17-21 hours +++.

Your itennerary scares me as there are too many stops with changes of carriers....This is how luggage gets delayed if not lost!!!

I know LAX is under construction and that San Diego maybe closer to you but I would rather sleep over an extra day in LA than fly your route.

Something to think about and KLM is a pretty good airline with actual service. I believe they also co-share with Northwest .

Have a wonderful trip great part of the world and a great ship. Pat

For sure it's worth a try for the better route, but in my one experience with the Business class upgrade, Regent only has relationships with a few airlines, so they really want to stay with certain carriers--I wanted to fly through London on BA instead of Franfurt on Lufthansa, and they just couldn't do it.

Wow, lc7467, I couldn't agree more with snobird. You are asking for trouble with your luggage and the law of averages these days says you will miss one connection with all the carrier changes. You might check Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then Lufthansa to Venice. We're going that way from Boston.

Air Dolmiti code shares with Lufthansa and United. We flew United from Santa Barbara to SFO then SFO to Frankfurt (what a terrible airport) connecting to a Air Dolmiti flight to Venice.........no prblems. Then from Pisa to Munich on Air Dolmiti, transferring to Lufthansa's flight to SFO and then United to SBA.......no problems with bags or connections. Not very good service on Lufthansa but great on Air Dolmiti!

Thanks for all your tips. You are right, I was not pleased at all when I got the schedule. I took a British Isles cruise on the Grand Princess this summer and drove to LA and had a nonstop on Air New Zealand - LOVED that flight! It was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to LAX. I spoke with Regents and they said their discount business air (class z) is with Lufthansa. Because they could not get us in and out of San Diego for same day departures they have us now arriving a day early and leaving a day later and are providing a hotel both in Venice (hotel metropole) and in Athens (Intercontinental). Being as thrifty as I am and probably going to spend the night anyway in Athens, I took what they offered. Venice is my favorite city and I am looking forward to the "free" night as we arrive at 8am. However I had considered taking the Orient Express pre cruise package out of London but giving me the room in Venice I could not justify paying their large "premium" on the train part. Now I have extra spending money for those overpriced tours!

Archived