ideas for older cruisers with mobility limitations

Kayelache

Four of us seniors (mid 60' to early 70's) are cruising the southern caribbean with a day in Dominica. Two of us are up to almost anything, but one has a heart condition and another has petty severe rheumatoid arthritis that makes walking any distance painfully difficult. Several years ago I booked a private tour with my husband who was in a wheelchair. I can't remember the name of the company we used. We toured around the island, stopped at the Carib village, and also were able to make it most of the way to the Emerald Pool. We'd like to do some snorkling, but also see some of the island, with time left for a bit of shopping. any ideas?

Try Antours to see what they can do for you. Have you considered going to the rain forest? I took my mother there when she was 86. They can get you to the bottom of the ride and it is optional to get off at the top and hike down a bit. I did the hike and mom stayed on the lift.

It's like a ski lift, but instead of 4 people across, they have little "tram" cars that seat 2 people across with the guide at the back. You ride up the hill and take a short break so people can hike for a few minutes and you ride down the hill. It's lush jungle - there are lots of interesting birds and plants. And it will probably rain for a few minutes.

Archived