QV Internet Access Problems

Opera Buff

I will be on a QV btb cruise for 24 days staring Sept 6th. It seems that not only is there no cell phone service on board ( a Cunard trait?) but that access to the internet -wired/wireless is now a problem too. Does anyone have any up to date information on whether this is being properly addressed by Cunard?

There were no internet problems on the QM2 - except not being able to use the iphone for wi-fi emailing!

Mike

I dunno about access issues. I know that you cannot use the 'free' time you get with your WC perks with your laptop which seems absurd.

It also seems absurd that Cunard is the only one of Carnival Corps companies that does not offer cell service on its ships. Oh well - it is good to have a break now and then.

On our recent trip the internet was down quite a bit, and the computers are really slow in the internet room (lovely as it is). They did recognize that it is a problem and say they were working on it. Interestingly enough, the wireless internet in our cabin was very fast, and often seemed to be working even when the sign was up that the internet was down. We still managed to get all of the internet time we needed so it really wasn't an issue.

Although there may not have been mobile phone sevice as such, for our trip, we were often close enough to the shore that we were able to use our phones without any problems.

Just returned from QV Southampton to Venice. The internet system was done quite a bit as a previouus post stated. I had a Blackberry with Service via ATT and was able to use that . I brought my laptop but did not use it. I generally do not use internet a lot while on vacation so I would suggest you more or less prepare for the possibility that service may be very limited and advise all important contacts as well.

All the best!

I have heard from staff and passengers that service to the outside can be spotty depending on where they are. There seems to be a hole or more where there is no bird to bounce the signal off of, on the north cape run. Then there are other holes as you cross the north Atlantic. 1 Cunard trip they didn't have service off the ship for 4 days.

We did the World Tour Jan 13 - April 23. There were some problems with the system. Graham was with us part of the time and he explained that the "stack" was in the way of the antenae but they were working on it. I took my laptop and composed everything where ever I felt like sitting and then signed on to the internet (using complimentary minutes) sent my journal and then signed off. Did the same with downloading. Did not read on line. Graham left us in Sydney and Cindy took over. She, too, noted that they were still working out kinks, but aside from an empty spot or two in the Pacific I was able to send and receive for the entire wonderful journey.

We did the World Tour Jan 13 - April 23. There were some problems with the system. Graham was with us part of the time and he explained that the "stack" was in the way of the antenae but they were working on it. I took my laptop and composed everything where ever I felt like sitting and then signed on to the internet (using complimentary minutes) sent my journal and then signed off. Did the same with downloading. Did not read on line. Graham left us in Sydney and Cindy took over. She, too, noted that they were still working out kinks, but aside from an empty spot or two in the Pacific I was able to send and receive for the entire wonderful journey.

How were you able to use complimentary minutes with your laptop. When I was on the QV in June you could only use your free minutes on the Cunard computers in internet facility. Free minutes could not be used on personal laptops.

How were you able to use complimentary minutes with your laptop. When I was on the QV in June you could only use your free minutes on the Cunard computers in internet facility. Free minutes could not be used on personal laptops.

Thanks D2. I also have a question about free minutes with laptops on QV but Bobnatt beat me to it.

Has there been a change in policy?

Archived