Port Canaveral closed

mom2girls

Port Canaveral is closed today through Thursday because of Tropical Storm Fay. Does this affect any sailings?

I think it might possibly be more accurate to say "until Thursday" instead of "through Thursday". Sensation and Wonder should be arriving that morning.

PORT EVERGLADES OPEN AND OPERATIONAL FOLLOWING TROPICAL STORM FAY

August 19, 2008

The U.S. Coast Guard has approved opening Port Everglades to all ship traffic. Landside operations remained open throughout the Tropical Storm Fay.

http://porteverglades.poweri.com/dev/site/pub/port/news_breakingnews.htm?bnews=1&newsid=132

Thanks for that update! Now if we can just somehow get to Orlando from Kansas. I'm very worried that our flight will be cancelled... :eek:

OIA was open all day today. The worst is supposed to be tonight. All Orlando schools will be open tomorrow, so I would think the airport will be open as well.

OIA might be open, but there are tons of cancelled flights for today. We got a call at 4AM telling us our son and daughter-in-laws flight from Charlotte to Orlando for tonight was cancelled.

I'm sure they won't get home until tomorrow sometime. They were coming from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic so I am sure their vacation was interesting to say the least. Oh, well, that's what happens when you travel during hurricane season.

Originally Posted by mom2girls

OIA was open all day today. The worst is supposed to be tonight. All Orlando schools will be open tomorrow, so I would think the airport will be open as well.

Originally Posted by katiel53

OIA might be open, but there are tons of cancelled flights for today. We got a call at 4AM telling us our son and daughter-in-laws flight from Charlotte to Orlando for tonight was cancelled.

Thanks guys! I checked the website for our airline and so far they haven't cancelled our flight but I suppose that doesn't mean much (although it is reassuring to see "on time" in the status field). Shoot, all these years I thought the worst I'd have to mess with is tornadoes and now here I am worrying about tropical storms! :D

mom2girls: Appears you were right in the first place.

I can not speak for Carnival Sensation, but it appears that another cruise line is making initial plans for their ship to stop at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) tomorrow instead of Port Canaveral.

Will be additional bus traffic on the roads, fer sure. Ick!!

Yes, per the front page of CC, Disney Wonder will be departing from Port Everglades tomorrow not Port Canaveral. Disney will be shuttling it's passengers from Port Canaveral, from MCO, and from the Disney Resorts.

On one of the threads on the RCCL boards they said that Port Canaveral is still closed and won't reopen until they can get divers in to check the channel. Apparently it is very shallow and shifting sands can be a problem, as they were in 2005.

I would suspect that Carnival will make a decision soon and will take care of its passengers fairly like Disney has.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/BREAKINGNEWS/80820032/1006/news01

More information will be known after 4 p.m., when the U.S. Coast Guard and representatives from Port Canaveral determine if the port will be able to reopen Thursday.

Representatives from both Disney Cruise Line and Carnival Cruise Lines said they are considering alternatives for bringing in passengers but that no decisions have been made.

“No plans for alternate arrangements have been made yet,” said Christi Erwin Donnan, a spokeswoman for Disney Cruise Line. A Carnival Cruise Lines spokeswoman said the company would know more about possibly diverting its Port Canaveral-based ship to another Florida port later today.

Both the Wonder and the Sensation run 3- and 4-day Bahamas trips from Port Canaveral departing on Thursdays and Sundays.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/Weather_Updates08.aspx

August 17, 2008 and August 21, 2008 Departures

Due to the impact from Tropical Storm Fay, Port Canaveral is now closed and we will not be able to dock there tomorrow. The Carnival Sensation will now dock in Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), Florida.

For guests debarking on the August 17, 2008 cruise, we will provide complimentary motorcoach transportation from Port Everglades to the cruise terminal in Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport.

For guests embarking on the August 21, 2008 cruise, this cruise will now depart from Port Everglades on August 21 and return to Port Everglades on August 24.

If guests are driving to the port, they can proceed to the cruise terminal at Port Everglades. Carnival will also provide complimentary roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the cruise terminal in Port Canaveral and the cruise terminal in Port Everglades. If guests are flying into Orlando, we will also provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the Orlando airport and the cruise terminal in Port Everglades.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by this situation. Our entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience. Most importantly, we are looking forward to providing our guests with a great cruise vacation aboard the Carnival Sensation.

Tell me about it...it hasn't stopped raining since Monday afternoon. The pool overflowed (is over-flowing) and the yard is awash. Our neighbor went on a "beer run" earlier - took his canoe to his friends and a truck out from there - even went to Publix for everyone. NOw if only they'd let the kids go back to school. They started Monday and haven't been back since...they're driving me CRAZY. Guess we have tropical cabin fever.

Good luck to everyone sailing tomorrow...have fun....

Tell me about it...it hasn't stopped raining since Monday afternoon. The pool overflowed (is over-flowing) and the yard is awash. Our neighbor went on a "beer run" earlier - took his canoe to his friends and a truck out from there - even went to Publix for everyone. NOw if only they'd let the kids go back to school. They started Monday and haven't been back since...they're driving me CRAZY. Guess we have tropical cabin fever.

You poor thing. I'm a teacher in Orange County. Monday was our first day too. And, I thought it was bad missing yesterday. I can't imagine missing Tuesday through Thursday? Alright, I guess I can imagine. I'm getting deja-vu from Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne. We missed 12 days of school that year. I really hated the make-up days. :(

Hope you get some relief soon.

Archived