Viking River Russia, "SURKOV" Oct 08 Questions

MSEm

We will be traveling with Viking River on the "Waterways of the Czars" on the "SURKOV" We board on Oct 2, 2008 in St Peterburg.

1. Since we are traveling out of the major toursit season, should we still hire a private guide for the Hermitage?

2. What is the weather like from early to mid October. We fly home from Moscow on Oct 16.

During "free" time are there Optional tours not to miss or any tours that could be easily skipped.

Thanks for the help,

Emily

Emily,

I was on the Surkov last July. So, I can't help you with Oct. weather. I'm most anxious to hear about your trip and what's new with the Surkov since it's been majorly refurbished.

We went on an optional excursion to the Peterhof and were the first group to enter. I recommend you definitely do that one. Make sure you're there long enough to see the fountains flowing and to walk the beautiful grounds. We also went on the Moscow by Night tour. It was Ok to do, but not as special as I hoped it would be. As far as the Hermitage, it was very crowded since we went in the afternoon. The morning we went to the Peterhof Palace. Unfortunately, you can't be first the first group at each of those fabulous sights. So, you might want to consider a private guide if that's something very special for you. I'm not sure how crowded it will be in Oct. It was jammed in July. I hope you have a super trip. We did. Tennessee Traveler

I know that Viking has put small refrigerators in the cabins. Also a bath that is more "Cruise ship style" and also a nice robe to use while on the "Surkov".

I am hoping that there will be fewer tourist in October. Most of thr big cruise ships will be heading back to the Caribbean at that time.

We will going into Helsinki. If I find the temperatures cooler than I planned, I will have time in Helsinki to purchase a heavier sweater or jacket.

I packed too many warm clothes for my China trip in Nov 2007.

Trying to decide between Tauck and Uniworld for next river cruise. I looked at AMA, but they do not offer a 7 - 9 night cruise that I want to do at this time.

Emily

Archived