Domed Train Car or Ferry?

tango223

I would like to know which shore excursion would be the best and most scenic? I was wondering if taking the ferry....I'd get bored by going through get another set of locks..just on the Pacific side. It is scenic? Also the train does sound appealing...but worried that it would be too far from the canal to really see anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have not done the ferry, but have done the train. So here is my take on the train. You are right on the canal and it is scenic - flora and the canal itself. We saw ships going through the canal and at anchor. On our train excursion we went, by bus after getting off the train, to Miraflores Locks Visitor Center. This is where you were able to see the locks in action - My favorite part.

I think the ferry would provide a different perspective, but I think it would mean dedicating the day to it. On the train excursion we went to see other things etc.

Hope this helps.

I have not done the ferry, but have done the train. So here is my take on the train. You are right on the canal and it is scenic - flora and the canal itself. We saw ships going through the canal and at anchor. On our train excursion we went, by bus after getting off the train, to Miraflores Locks Visitor Center. This is where you were able to see the locks in action - My favorite part.

I think the ferry would provide a different perspective, but I think it would mean dedicating the day to it. On the train excursion we went to see other things etc.

Hope this helps.

DonMar, thank you for your perspective on the train. Tango223

• 2 weeks later...

My travel agent just recomended that we do the train ocean to ocean tour. She said through Princess Cruise line they stopped at many areas of the locks on the coach bus ride back. Has anyone done this tour through Carnival and if so do they make many stops back as well?

Hope this helps.

OK, i'm confused! They have the domed train and then the train that goes right next to the canal...and stops at miraflores, this is on Celebrity. They say they are both air condtioned. HELP! Nancie:cool:

OK, i'm confused! They have the domed train and then the train that goes right next to the canal...and stops at miraflores, this is on Celebrity. They say they are both air condtioned. HELP! Nancie:cool:

Same train---just different cars. My wife and I did that excuesion on our last trip and really enjoyed it. Very smooth ride and very good tour guide.

We did the ferry through the canal last year. I enjoyed it and am glad I did it but my husband was bored. I found it very interesting to be so up close and personel with the locks. It was a completely different experience than on the ship. However it was a very long day. The ferry is about 90 minutes away from the pier. There was traffic on the road getting there and believe it or not traffic on the canal. There was a huge liner ahead of us and it took them a very long time to maneuver through the locks. We didn't get back to the ship until 9 PM. Not everyone has that experience but you can't call it. I am glad I did it but would not do it again.

Nancie -

There is a Domed Car on the train. The train does go along the canal, but does not stop or go near the locks. The train ends at an area outside Panama City and there you get on a bus to take you to Miraflores.

I think the Domed Car is air conditioned. If my memory serves me correctly - the other cars are not - I remember open windows. If you do a search on this board for Two Oceans by Rail there are some posts with images that might help.

bbiggar -

We did the Carnival excursion. On this excursion we took the train from Colon to Panama City and back to Colon. From what I read not all excursions do this. Some take the train one way and a bus the other way. When ont he train - there are no stops. Once on the bus that takes you around the Panama City area we stopped at Miraflores, Bridge of The Americas, a shopping center (time not spent well, IMHO), and a drive around the outskirts of Panama City.

Nancie -

There is a Domed Car on the train. The train does go along the canal, but does not stop or go near the locks. The train ends at an area outside Panama City and there you get on a bus to take you to Miraflores.

I think the Domed Car is air conditioned. If my memory serves me correctly - the other cars are not - I remember open windows. If you do a search on this board for Two Oceans by Rail there are some posts with images that might help.

bbiggar -

We did the Carnival excursion. On this excursion we took the train from Colon to Panama City and back to Colon. From what I read not all excursions do this. Some take the train one way and a bus the other way. When ont he train - there are no stops. Once on the bus that takes you around the Panama City area we stopped at Miraflores, Bridge of The Americas, a shopping center (time not spent well, IMHO), and a drive around the outskirts of Panama City.

Celebrity advertises it as being air conditioned, both the dome and the other cars. Nancie

Celebrity advertises it as being air conditioned, both the dome and the other cars. Nancie

Nancie,

I went back and looked at the photos. It seems that the cars have closed windows - i.e. AC. There is an area at the end of some cars that is open to the air, no AC, but you go out their by choice.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the domed train tour five years ago as part of a Princess offering and it was very nice. Great views of the canal - thru trees and stuff, but overall a good experience. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. The train took us back to Christobol after a tour of Panama City and the Visitor's Center. I understand that a bus is used for the return now.

For our upcoming cruise we are looking at taking the ferry as it will offer a different perspective.

We took the domed train tour five years ago as part of a Princess offering and it was very nice. Great views of the canal - thru trees and stuff, but overall a good experience. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. The train took us back to Christobol after a tour of Panama City and the Visitor's Center. I understand that a bus is used for the return now.

For our upcoming cruise we are looking at taking the ferry as it will offer a different perspective.

We loved the Ferry ride, it was informative and AWESOME to be so close that you can reach out and touch the wall. There was good comentarhy on the trip as well. Enjoy! Nancie:cool:

Archived