Monarch vs Mariner plan - with elderly parents

Peggy5

Hi All,

I posted on other board but posting here too to get some more advice. We've got family cruise booked for later this yr, taking my in laws my parents, hubby & I & our 2 yr old on Monarch which is 4 days going to Bahamas from Port Canaveral & we've also combined 5 days at disney afterwards for variety & cuz' disney is family/kid friendly.

However, recently price on on Mariner for 7 day Eastern carribean dropped & turns out we can either keep our current plan or change to the 7 day Eastern carribean on Mariner + 3 days disney for same cost.

I'd luv to see St thomas/St marteen(on Mariner) but wondering if being on a ship for 7 days would be too long with in laws & parents. MIL isn't able to walk much may be issue going sightseeing St thomas & St marten. But thought of spending money & taking vacation from work & not being able to go on a new ship & better ports is making us think. But we realize we have to make a decision keeping the family structure in mind(meaning we are going elderly parents).

As far as cabins, on mariner we'd have inside room vs superior oceanview on monarch(same size for both) also mariner we'd have take 2 connecting flights from Midwest to FL. So pros for mariner are, newer ship nicer ports st marteen/st thomas. Cons are not being sure if 7 days on ship with the parents is a good thing(specially when its 1st cruise for all). Another con is not sure mariner would be good for my 2 year old either, being that long on the ship & the fact that she's 2 years old & not potty trained & so we wouldn't be able to take her in the regular pools(I think) so thats why the disney plan sounded more family friendly. But we're confused which really would be the better way to go considering cost is coming out the same for both plans. Any advice?

Peggy

progress.gif

I would go with Mariner. Especially if you are talking the same price.

I know it's scary to go on a ship with family and not know how they are going to do. I've done it on both sides (my family and his) and everyone had such a great time, they all booked cruises on their own later on.

I am betting the overall experience will be better on Mariner than on Monarch. ;)

There is a different type of crowd on a 3 day older ship, than on a 7 day newer.

Mariner is a huge ship compared to Monarch. The cabins are much larger, which is convenient if the inlaws need a scooter to get around. Cruises are so much fun for the elderly because there are so many people on staff to assist. They love all the special attention they get in the dining room and everywhere else on the ship. If the inlaws have a disability, they can request a handicap unit that is much larger in size for the same price as a regular cabin.

If you do need a scooter, read the CC boards to find out where to order one for the ship.

St. Marten and St. Thomas are two of the best caribbean islands to visit. You'll be happy you opted for this cruise over the Bahamas for a family your size.

DH and I enjoy the older ships like Monarch for our short Bahama couples getaway, but I'd definetely prefer the Mariner for a family vacation.

Your parents/inlaws may just enjoying staying on the ship in some of the ports, if mobility is an issue. It's actually quite nice, with most of the passengers gone for the day! The ship doesn't shut down, as not everybody gets off in all the ports!

As far as cabins go, an OV is simply to get natural light--the "views" are limited and the windows are not conducive to lengthy viewing!

When my husband was having trouble walking, we made sure to book on newer ships because they are so well laid out, and usually have much better systems of automatic doors, etc. The doors on older ships can be heavy and a challenge for those not in top shape.

I also think a ship is the ultimate vacation for mult-generation travel, so if it were me, I'd go with the Mariner option for this one.

Best,

Mia

Archived