Union Member Discounts

Jess777

My husband belongs to the AFL-CIO which is a group of about 300 unions. I found out recently that you can get a discount on NCL from a 5% to 30% off a cruise. (more information is on the NCL.com site). My question is does anyone know if you have to go through a travel agent to get this discount or can I call NCL to get a promotion code? Has anyone used this promotion before?

My husband belongs to the AFL-CIO which is a group of about 300 unions. I found out recently that you can get a discount on NCL from a 5% to 30% off a cruise. (more information is on the NCL.com site). My question is does anyone know if you have to go through a travel agent to get this discount or can I call NCL to get a promotion code? Has anyone used this promotion before?

We've gotten the union discount twice on NCL. Five percent each time. Some cruises don't qualify for the discount though.

If you get the discount be sure to take your union ID card, they may ask for it at check-in time. If you don't have it they'll take off the discount and charge you the difference. Both times I was advised, by NCL, to have the union ID card -- but they've never asked to see it at check-in. Better safe than sorry though.

Just received my updated print out from NCL. One of the first things on there is....

Please note, union membership identification will be required at the pier prior to boarding.

I've recieved the union discount 4 times and have never been asked to show proof of union membership at the pier. I bring it anyway but no one asks to see it.

I've recieved the union discount 4 times and have never been asked to show proof of union membership at the pier. I bring it anyway but no one asks to see it.

I think that's because no one at the pier even cares. Another thing I've wondered about is when they say passengers will be refused boarding if they are more than 26 weeks (or whatever the rule is) pregnant. My last cruise there were two women who had to have been AT LEAST 7 months along.

Would you want to be the check-in rep who asked a person how far along she was and get a response, "I'm not pregnant." :eek:

Here is the union website about the cruises. It has a list of discounts for sailing dates/ships, etc:

http://www.unionplus.org/norwegian-cruise-lines.cfm

You can book thru your travel agent, ncl direct or union plus travel and use the discount.

And yes, make sure to bring proof to the ship with you (I put DH's union id card with our passports so I wouldn't forget). I hear paystubs showing due deduction or a union ID card works fine. You might not have to show it, but NCL does have the right to request it and deny your discount if you don't have it.

We had booked directly thru NCL and and after found out about the discount I called NCL they asked for a copy of my union card in a few days we got an e-mail with the new price about $150 dollars less every bit helps.:)

Tom

One thing that isn't really clear, unless you read every word, is that EVERY cruise gets 5% off. Any cruise that gets more than that is listed on the chart.

We booked through NCL and then found out about the discount afterwards. All we had to do was email the union documentation to NCL and the discount was applied.

I got it on our cruise by booking directly through NCL, but then found out that I would have gotten a larger discount mentioning my Harrah's Total Rewards membership, which they would not apply after final payment was made. I'm fairly unhappy about that. Worse, both discounts could have been applied to the same cruise.

Our 1st cruise we used and online TA and got the discount, for our upcoming in Jan we booked directly through NCL and they already had on file that both my dh and I were union members so they again discounted us. We never had to show documentation at the port.

Just an FYI they also offer a military discount so its worth it to find out what discount would be better for your cruise. I had them compare both times and for both the union was better

I had already booked our cruise direct through NCL when I read here on CC about the union discounts. As I am a retired Retail clerk I called on the off chance that maybe I could qualify for the discount. After e-mailing them a copy of my reitrement benefits notification I was able to get the discount. It always helps to check if you think you may qualify.

I saw this thread yesterday and called my TA to see if we could get the union discount. I haven't yet made the final payment so I didn't think there would be any problems. It worked . . . 5% discount. Thanks for the info all . . . once again Cruise Critic forum comes thru.

:cool: I never knew this and belong to a union! Just booked and paid for an NCL cruise in full yesterday! I shall keep this in mind for future cruises.

There are a variety of benefits offered to union employees. I know there is an AFL CIO web page that shows such things as travel, credit cards and even heating oil discounts.

My husband belongs to an AFL CIO union. And we got a discount. when I do the math though, looks like we got a 10% discount!!

At first I called a TA, to first see how much a cruise would cost (I didn't know about this union discount). She first asked me are we in the military. I said no. That was it and she gave me a price. I then called NCL directly just to compare prices. They asked me are we in the military or union members. "Union members?", I asked. I said yes, why? She said because we get a discount. I was so happy! So, I told her another TA I called never asked if we were union members, just asked about the military. So I got a quote and I then called that first TA back, and told her we were in the union and they quoted me the same exact price as what NCL quoted us. So we saved about $400-ish bucks!!! Woo Hoo! (I went with the original TA only because we got a perk out of it....a $75 gift card).

We leave tomorrow and DH has his union card all ready in his wallet just in case they ask. They never had us fax it to them at all.

Archived