Southwest Airlines

gettingmarried

Hi,

We live in Ontario, Canada and are thinking of booking our flights with SOUTHWEST AIR out of Buffalo New York for February cruise 2009. Does anyone have any opinions/comments about this airline? It is a non-stop flight to Fort Lauderdale

Thanks!

I think I would also check on the cruise air board here on CC, much more information there about flights. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Since this isn't about Princess, it will probably be moved there very shortly anyway. ;) ;)

I have flown Southwest for years and absolutely favor Southwest over the other carriers for both price and customer service. If you do go Southwest...just remember to access your reservation on line at the SW website and print your boarding passes 24 hours in advance. Be as close as you can to the beginning of the 24 hours in advance. This is very important to remember. SW boards in groups...A, B and C and so on with 30 or more (can't remember the exact number) people in each group. You will want to be in the A group in order to board first and to get the best seats. If you wait until you get to the airport and get a boarding pass at check in...you will be one of the last ones to board. Hope this helps.:)

We, as Texans, are VERY familiar with Southwest. They have excellent on-time performance. They currently allow 2 bags up to 50 lbs per person free. Here, they are normally the cheapest to anywhere they go, and they are still profitable. They do have an odd boarding procedure. They board in 3-4 groups. You can check in up to 24 hours in advance and print your boarding passes at home. The earlier you check in, the earlier your boarding group. Of course the airline industry is very fluid, so check on the status of all this as your flight date approaches

I fly Southwest frequently and love the airline. They don't nickel and dime you for everything like the others do and they are usually ontime or even early. The other great thing about them is that they do not charge a change fee to change your reservation - you may have to pay a higher airfare, but I have also changed reservations and saved money. This is especially important to me as I have been travelling to visit my mother quite often due to her health problems and have often had to delay my return. The atmosphere onboard is usually quite relaxed and quite often the flight attendants will joke around during the announcements. Just make sure to check in online as close to the 24 hour window as possible before your flight to get the best boarding position since they do not have assigned seating.

I also love Southwest Airlines and always fly them if they go where I need to go. Prices are good and they have the best freq. flier program called Rapids Rewards. I don't fly that much, but I've already earned and used 2 FF tickets since 2003. I usually fly short routes, but the FF tickets can be used anywhere Southwest flies to. The employees are friendly and the flight attendants are usually funny. One time a group of us were going somewhere and one guy had a birthday. We told the flight attendant and just before we landed they had everyone in the plane sing "Happy Birthday" to him then they gave him a whole basket of those little peanuts in bags! They also have the best safety record of any airline in the USA. I'll be flying them for my next cruise! :)

This should be a great flight. Southwest was shrewd/lucky to have made a deal which locked in lower fuel costs before the recent "gas war", so they're not having to crack down like the other airlines.

One caveat - Southwest does not preassign seats. People board according to the numbers on their boarding passes (which indicate the order in which they were obtained) and self-select their seats. Boarding passes are not given out until 24 hours before the flight. Be sure you're online exactly 24 hours before to get your boarding pass so you can get a low number, particularly if you and your travelling companions expect to sit together or if you are particular about what seat you sit in.

If you board in the last group you may not get seats together. To get an A boarding pass on the return, you will have to print your boarding passes on the ship as close to 24 hours in advance as possible. Another option is to leave the flight info with a family member or friend and have them check you in. When you get to the airport print your boarding passes.

Southwest is a great airline that still gives you a free beverage and some kind of snack (depending on length of flight). Their prices are excellent and they have some very smart people in their exec. office. Do not hesitate to book with them.

To get an A boarding pass on the return, you will have to print your boarding passes on the ship as close to 24 hours in advance as possible. Another option is to leave the flight info with a family member or friend and have them check you in. When you get to the airport print your boarding passes.

You do not have to print the boarding passes on the ship, only check in. You can then print them at the airport.

I do agree with having a trusted friend or family member do the return checkin as you cannot guarantee that the ship's internet will be available at the time you need to use it.

We have been pleased with SW as well. You just have to be available to print your boarding passes 24 hours in advance if where you sit is important. I like that we will still be able to take all of our bags on our upcoming cruise without extra costs. They also are the only airline that flies non stop to Fort Lauderdale from St Louis. I hope they don't stop their non stop service to Fort Lauderdale as I am a nervous flier and don't like to go up and down any more than I have to. I also thing their seats are more comfortable.

We really like Southwest. Their prices are generally the best of any airlines, their workers act like they enjoy working, they have a better on-time record than many other airlines. You don't get a seat assignment when you board but if you check in 24 hours before your flight you can usually get the kind of seat you like.

I think I would also check on the cruise air board here on CC, much more information there about flights. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Since this isn't about Princess, it will probably be moved there very shortly anyway. ;) ;)

I love SWA. If you make sure you print your boarding pass (I think you can do it 24 hours prior) online you are all set. SWA is a no frills airline that has an excellent on time record. The people who work there are happy, they don't charge for bags and their fares are very reasonable. We try to fly SWA whenever we can.

Another advantage with SWA is they will let you re-fare your trip without a charge. If the price of the ticket goes down after you have purchased you can change to the lower fare and they will give you the difference as a credit towards a future flight. They will not give you the cash back, but the credit is good for 1 year.

We've found only one downside with Southwest Airlines.

They do not have intraline baggage transfer agreements with most airlines, so if you have a connecting flight on another airline, you have to retrieve your luggage, and recheck it with the other airline.

That can be a real inconvenience at an airport like LAX, if you have an international connecting flight, which is in a different terminal.

Southwest is a no-frills airline that has one of the best on-time track records. They are the only airline left, I think, that still allows two checked bags with no additional cost.

And with a nonstop flight, you have a far better chance of getting to your cruise on time. I fly Southwest all the time and find them to be far more reliable than the other major carriers. The wife & I will be cruising in January can you guess what airline we are using? Southwest for sure!;)

One caveat - Southwest does not preassign seats. People board according to the numbers on their boarding passes (which indicate the order in which they were obtained) and self-select their seats. Boarding passes are not given out until 24 hours before the flight. Be sure you're online exactly 24 hours before to get your boarding pass so you can get a low number, particularly if you and your travelling companions expect to sit together or if you are particular about what seat you sit in.

Other than that, I love flying Southwest. But if you check in early, you should have no problem with seating. It's first come, first served - you walk on the plane and select your seats.

Question: If you have a connecting flight with different flight number (one SW flight to another SW flight) will you get two boarding passes when you check-in on line or do you have to check in for both flights separately? Thanks

we used to fly only Southwest the last couple of years,this year is the first time we'll fly Jetblue (better price,time and not to forget better seating/legroom)something you should look into when flying from New York,Jetblue's hub.

SWA is a no frills airline

They used to be "no frills", but now they have more frills than most of the other domestic airlines.

Some or all of the others:

Charge for a second bag of luggage

Charge for a first bag of luggage

Charge for soda or water on board

Charge for the smallest snack

Charge to change reservations (in addition to any fare changes)

Charge to book with an agent on the phone

Southwest is a great regional airline and has some of the best prices. In California, Southwest is the predominate carrier. We are flying Southwest this coming Sunday from Sacramento to Philadelphia for a funeral and Southwest rates were 50% cheaper than the major airlines even with a bereavement rate.

Archived