Basel dock location

thuyronald

Hi Everyone,

We will be going on our first GCT river cruise...Christmas along the Rhine...starting in Amsterdam and ending in Basel this December.

We need to catch a train from Basel to Zurich to fly home. Does anyone know where Grand Circle Travel usually dock their ship in Basel? Can I catch a tram in the morning to the train station? I've heard the taxis are pretty expensive in Basel so we prefer not to use them if possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Twee

We did this trip in 2005 and doing it again this year, just the other direction. I will assume they are docking in the same general area. If that is the case, there were trams not far from the dock as we took one in to the markets, so I would assume you could get one to the train station too.

Maybe somebody else has more info?

I would also like this information for Avalon ships.

I know that there are 2 places that ships dock.

Once you know the location, you can put the information in to sbb.ch and they suggest transportation . It is easy to get from Zurich airport to Basel. The trains leave from the airport and go directly to the main station. From there you can catch a fast train to Basel. The sbb site is great.

We were on Avalon Tapestry last year (Amsterdam - Basel). We had not made arrangements to get from Basel to Zurich where we had one night before leaving by train to Italy and thought we would find out the options on the boat. Avalon sold transfers from Basel to Zurich (the hotel they use) and we used that. It was by bus and very easy as we just identified our bags and got on the bus. Once in Zurich we caught a taxi to our hotel. I seem to remember the transfer was not particularly cheap but neither was it an outrageous amount and we felt it was worth it because of the convenience. I think it was about an hour's trip.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I will check with Grand Circle Travel and see if they offer a shuttle service. If not, I'll see if I can share a taxi with another couple or figure out the tram stop once I know where we'll be docking in Basel.

Twee

Archived