Favorite place to visit while in PR

Cruiser Crystal

Hello All:

We will be visiting PR in May for the first time, after looking at the excursions and reading through posts we still can't make a decision on which excursions/activities to book/plan.

We are open to just about anything and most seem to be interesting.

Any comments / suggestions from you guys that have been there before would be greatly apprecited. Thanks in advance!

:D I would love to visit a beach possible in PR, Tortola or St. Martin.:D

What time are you in port?

Will this be your first time in San Juan?

Here are some options:

1. Just head into Old San Juan and see the sites - you can easily do this on your own - 2 forts, small cathedral, several squares, several museums, plenty of shops, plenty of restaurants

2. Head to El Yunque rainforest and hike one of the several trails there - even swim at a waterfall - you could rent a car and do this yourself or with a ship tour

3. If you ship sails out of San Juan late (like midnight) look at doing a Bio Bay tour from Fajardo (60 + mins east of San Juan)

4. In Old San Juan you can do a segway tour or carriage ride

5. There is a canopy Tour / zip line in Guaynabo about 20 mins from san Juan

all the above are covered in my travel blog / guide @ www.visit-the-coqui.com

What time are you in port?

Will this be your first time in San Juan?

Here are some options:

1. Just head into Old San Juan and see the sites - you can easily do this on your own - 2 forts, small cathedral, several squares, several museums, plenty of shops, plenty of restaurants

2. Head to El Yunque rainforest and hike one of the several trails there - even swim at a waterfall - you could rent a car and do this yourself or with a ship tour

3. If you ship sails out of San Juan late (like midnight) look at doing a Bio Bay tour from Fajardo (60 + mins east of San Juan)

4. In Old San Juan you can do a segway tour or carriage ride

5. There is a canopy Tour / zip line in Guaynabo about 20 mins from san Juan

all the above are covered in my travel blog / guide @ www.visit-the-coqui.com

:) Thanks for the quick reply.

We will be in port from 3:00 pm until midnight. Yes, this will be our first visit to all three ports, so we are very excited and can't wait for May to roll around next year.

My favorite things to do (especially if it is your first time in port), I would either:

Walk around Old San Juan. This is a great port- it is safe and compact, yet loaded with things to see. Not the usual stall after stall of t-shirts or jewerly shops. We have that the stores of course, but they are in 350 year old buildings! The architecture, the views, and the museums and forts are fantastic and very inexpensive. The museums close about 4:30p...I highly recommend seeing the Museum of the Americas if you can get there quickly. It is right by El Morro fort, so after the museum closes, you can head to the fort.

or

Spend the time and money and go see the BioBay. If you can afford it, do the East Wind trip to Vieques. If that is out of your range, kayak the one in Fajardo. There are so few of the BioBays in the world and PR has 2 of the best. The moon is great for it while you are here. Problem is you need to get to Fajardo. Contact the companies to see if they can arrange transportation,or rent a car

Click on the underlined words to see my reviews from my trips to these places.

In May the forts are open until 6pm, so you will have time to see them (if that interests you)

Yes, we will probably visit the forts. David is very interested in that sort of thing. I enjoy site seeing as well and look forward to some shopping.;) thanks for the responce.

My favorite things to do (especially if it is your first time in port), I would either:

Walk around Old San Juan. This is a great port- it is safe and compact, yet loaded with things to see. Not the usual stall after stall of t-shirts or jewerly shops. We have that the stores of course, but they are in 350 year old buildings! The architecture, the views, and the museums and forts are fantastic and very inexpensive. The museums close about 4:30p...I highly recommend seeing the Museum of the Americas if you can get there quickly. It is right by El Morro fort, so after the museum closes, you can head to the fort.

or

Spend the time and money and go see the BioBay. If you can afford it, do the East Wind trip to Vieques. If that is out of your range, kayak the one in Fajardo. There are so few of the BioBays in the world and PR has 2 of the best. The moon is great for it while you are here. Problem is you need to get to Fajardo. Contact the companies to see if they can arrange transportation,or rent a car

All great suggestions, thanks for sharing your reviews as well, I have heard great things about site seeing in OSJ, so that will be on our list. kayaking, now that sounds fun too....

Another question if I may, what beaches would you suggtest. (preferably something close to the port).

Thanks much - We greatly appreciate all the information. :D

CC-

If David is into forts, I would try to get to see both of them. They have a $5 combo ticket available.

I like San Cristobal Fort better since it has the 300 year old "graffiti" (sailing ships, dates etc.) Look for it in the dungeon and upstairs on the shutters of the barracks.

El Morro allows you to explore more levels, it has more rooms to visit, more stairs etc. There is still a piece of a shell in the wall inside the fort from the 1897 fight.

Good news, since you are here on a Tuesday, there is a free dance show "Le-Lo-Lei" at 6pm at Fort San Cristobal. So you can explore that fort second, the stay for the show.

As for beaches, the ones around SJ are not Puerto Rico's best. The closest one is Escambron, but that is a short taxi ride away. There are other beaches further away, in Isla Verde or Carolina beach or even Pinones area. All within a 20 min taxi ride. But they are not the turquoise blue water you expect to see on an island. Decent beaches and they are clean, but the water is lacking that "NICE!" factor you hope for.

CC-

If David is into forts, I would try to get to see both of them. They have a $5 combo ticket available.

I like San Cristobal Fort better since it has the 300 year old "graffiti" (sailing ships, dates etc.) Look for it in the dungeon and upstairs on the shutters of the barracks.

El Morro allows you to explore more levels, it has more rooms to visit, more stairs etc. There is still a piece of a shell in the wall inside the fort from the 1897 fight.

Good news, since you are here on a Tuesday, there is a free dance show "Le-Lo-Lei" at 6pm at Fort San Cristobal. So you can explore that fort second, the stay for the show.

As for beaches, the ones around SJ are not Puerto Rico's best. The closest one is Escambron, but that is a short taxi ride away. There are other beaches further away, in Isla Verde or Carolina beach or even Pinones area. All within a 20 min taxi ride. But they are not the turquoise blue water you expect to see on an island. Decent beaches and they are clean, but the water is lacking that "NICE!" factor you hope for.

Thanks for all of the information. I like the idea of the combo two for $5.00, I will talk to him about all of the tours you mentioned above. Thanks again for your comments, they are going to come in handy! :D

Wow, this is all great information! MY DH & I will be visiting PR for the first time also next fall and I love many of the suggestions here. It looks like taking on OSJ is the best bet for us. Can you recommend a carriage ride tour or are they pretty easy to come by? We will be there late day into the night. I think 5-midnight, so is there a great place to have a cozy dinner with some scenic views of the city at sunset? I'm dying to know! Thanks!

Wow, this is all great information! MY DH & I will be visiting PR for the first time also next fall and I love many of the suggestions here. It looks like taking on OSJ is the best bet for us. Can you recommend a carriage ride tour or are they pretty easy to come by? We will be there late day into the night. I think 5-midnight, so is there a great place to have a cozy dinner with some scenic views of the city at sunset? I'm dying to know! Thanks!

OSJ is a pretty small place. There is only one carriage ride company. You will have no trouble taking a carriage tour- they have a number of horses ready at all times. 2 different tours around the town and one combo tour of the two. But they don't tour after dark, so it will have to be one of the first things you do after you get off the ship.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-horse-carriage/

Restaurant with view of city.....There are a few places that have cafe seating - outside table/chairs. So they have a little "view' but not much.

Cafe Amapola has an ocean view- probably the best sunset view you will get.

But a walk around the town, even after dark is beautiful. Many buildings are lit up . It is very safe and very pretty.

Look at our travel site for more ideas on things to do in OSJ after dark:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/#cruise-ship

OSJ is a pretty small place. There is only one carriage ride company. You will have no trouble taking a carriage tour- they have a number of horses ready at all times. 2 different tours around the town and one combo tour of the two. But they don't tour after dark, so it will have to be one of the first things you do after you get off the ship.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-horse-carriage/

Restaurant with view of city.....There are a few places that have cafe seating - outside table/chairs. So they have a little "view' but not much.

Cafe Amapola has an ocean view- probably the best sunset view you will get.

But a walk around the town, even after dark is beautiful. Many buildings are lit up . It is very safe and very pretty.

Look at our travel site for more ideas on things to do in OSJ after dark:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/#cruise-ship

Great information, thanks for posting!!!!!!!

Are there any beaches close to the port?

Beaches are not the highlight of the SJ area. They are fine and nice, just not the oooh and ahhh you will get on other islands (or other areas of Puerto Rico). Also, most people leave the beaches before 4pm because the sand bugs start biting. I really think you can find better things to do in OSJ during the day light hours, but you can decide for yourseves- here is the info:

The closest one is Escambron.

There are other beaches further away, in Isla Verde or Carolina Balanerio or even Pinones area. These are about a 20 min taxi ride.

Pinones is cool- it has a nature boardwalk that you can walk along, through the mangroves and along the ocean. It offers some great picture opportunities. And has some really great food opportunities- it is a real off the beaten track experience. It offers fancy restaurants on the water or also my favorite place to get homemade seafood empanadillas.

Info here:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/pinones-mangrove-forest-nature-boardwalk-waterfront-fun/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/kiosk-food/

Beaches are not the highlight of the SJ area. They are fine and nice, just not the oooh and ahhh you will get on other islands (or other areas of Puerto Rico). Also, most people leave the beaches before 4pm because the sand bugs start biting. I really think you can find better things to do in OSJ during the day light hours, but you can decide for yourseves- here is the info:

The closest one is Escambron.

There are other beaches further away, in Isla Verde or Carolina Balanerio or even Pinones area. These are about a 20 min taxi ride.

Pinones is cool- it has a nature boardwalk that you can walk along, through the mangroves and along the ocean. It offers some great picture opportunities. And has some really great food opportunities- it is a real off the beaten track experience. It offers fancy restaurants on the water or also my favorite place to get homemade seafood empanadillas.

Info here:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/pinones-mangrove-forest-nature-boardwalk-waterfront-fun/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/kiosk-food/

Thanks much for the advice and the links, I did some further research today and discovered that SJ isn't the port for the beach stop!!!

Going to look into St Thomas or Grank Turk to see which is better. Have you been to either place? Thanks again!!!!

Without a doubt my very favorite place to visit in Old San Juan is La Bombonera. I love their mallorcas!

http://www.familytravelfun.com/labombonera-oldsanjuan.html

YUMMIE, We will be stopping by this delish place. How close to port is it? I will be thinking of you when we visit as I LOVE sweets...... Thanks for the information! :D

Thanks much for the advice and the links, I did some further research today and discovered that SJ isn't the port for the beach stop!!!

Going to look into St Thomas or Grank Turk to see which is better. Have you been to either place? Thanks again!!!!

I have been to St Thomas- they have great beaches, and they are easy to get to. I used Godfrey tours a few times and really liked the service (and the price!). Magen's bay is lovely, we liked Coki beach- all the way to the left, there is good snorkeling.

I have been diving on Providenciales- one of the Turks/Caicos islands, but not Grand Turk. It was very pretty, but I don't know about Grand Turk and the beaches there.

YUMMIE, We will be stopping by this delish place. How close to port is it? I will be thinking of you when we visit as I LOVE sweets...... Thanks for the information! :D

It's not far at all from the port. We always stay at the Sheraton which is right across the street from the port and it's about two or three blocks up the hill and to the left to La Bombonera. Their fresh squeezed orange juice is wonderful too!

or

We will be in port until 11PM, is there a biobay tour that could get us back to the ship by 10:30?

We will be in port until 11PM, is there a biobay tour that could get us back to the ship by 10:30?

Yeah, I think if you do the Fajardo Kayak trip, you should be back in time. You are done by about 9pm, then you have the drive back and the return of the rental car. You may be able to get a kayak company to do transportation, so you don't have to worry about the rental car return issues/time.

Archived