Favorite place to visit while in PR

Cruiser Crystal

Thank you all for the great information.

RayinPR or Coquishideaway - are there any fun bar/nightclub type of places in old San Juan that you could recommend that would be good to swing by for some music and a drink. Thank you.

Jessie

Hi all!

I have just read that there are three biobays in Puerto Rico.

The cruise line offers the "Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour" and this is located in Fajardo. However, I have read about the two other ones as well.

I'm curious if we should just do the kayak tour through the cruise line or if the other 2 are located closer to the port?

We will only be In San Juan from 5-12am, so I am a little worried about time. I'm afraid if we did a tour that wasn't through Carnival that we wouldn't make it back to the ship on time.

Any suggestions or help is very much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!:D

The Fajardo one is the closest one. And with your time in port,I would also only recommend doing it through the cruise line.

My only suggestion is to check the moon- you want to make sure the moon is not bright on the night you go.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

Here is my review:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

We were just there in July, and it was really glowing well.

The Fajardo one is the closest one. And with your time in port,I would also only recommend doing it through the cruise line.

My only suggestion is to check the moon- you want to make sure the moon is not bright on the night you go.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

Here is my review:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

We were just there in July, and it was really glowing well.

Wonderful, that was what I thought.

Thank you!! I have actually already stumbled upon your website, it's fantastic, thank you again!!

Thank you all for the great information.

RayinPR or Coquishideaway - are there any fun bar/nightclub type of places in old San Juan that you could recommend that would be good to swing by for some music and a drink. Thank you.

Jessie

It all depends on when you will be there. Most clubs/bars don't get going until late. But you will always find something going on. Clubs don't open until about 10pm.

Try Nuyorican Cafe- they sometimes have something started earlier.

Bars are almost always open. The ones on San Sebastian seem pretty busy early.

There is always Senor Frogs. They have live music a lot. And with a cruise ship in, it usually has people around.

Maria's makes good blender drinks, all types and flavors

The Pina Colada's at Barrachina are really good.

On Weds and Thursdays Buren had Mojito night and on Mon and Tues, they have Martini night. I can't gaurentee they still do....

Jan in Maine- That's amazing!! You have listed six of MY top 10 things to do in Puerto Rico in 54 days!! (Hope we have a stateroom next to yours!!) The only part that differs is that we are going to the church where Ponce De Leon is buried instead of St John the Baptist. I believe it is across the street from El Convento.

We have already made reservations with Segway of Puerto Rico (Jose) over a year ago --BEFORE he got a contract with Royal Caribbean. He had arranged a special time for our tour since there are six of us and he is honoring our reservation. I hear he has purchased more segways but originally could only take 6-7 people on each tour and booked up fast when cruise ships were in port. Perhaps you could still sign up for a tour on the day BEFORE your ship comes in--send him an email www.segwaytourspr.com and he will get right back to you. (He takes no money until you arrive anyway). With the segway tour you also get a Jose-guided tour of El Morro!

Aside from shopping on Calle Cristo & Forteleza; at night we plan to enjoy El Picoteo and jazz at the Cafe Bohemia bar in El Convento, walk across the street to two dive bars El Batey and Don Pablo, and maybe walk to the famous Hiros de Borinquen bar before bedtime.

If you hear of a good place to get the masks or santos--please let me know! (I have a collection of statues and masks from all over). We were planning on looking for them at Puerto Rican Arts and Crafts (204 Calle Forteleza) if it is still there when we get there. It also houses a gourmet Puerto Rican food section where we hope to get some of their world-class coffee to bring home.

OK...that's enough for tonight...it is just too exciting to think about!!!!

PS Glad you liked the web stuff.

Best Buds .... I think your right about being separated at birth:D

I heard about our reservation on the segway ... and it will be at 3:00 on a Saturday ... the perfect time - I was really impressed on how fast they were on getting back to us on the reservation.

We usually like to get to the ship early - this time I think we will wait until later in the afternoon to board and spend as much time as possible in SJ. Jan

Best Buds - Do you know the times for the services at the church across the street from El Convento? That might just work out for us. Thanks, Jan

OOPS! I think it's the same church that we are both talking about ... could someone let me know for sure?

Best Buds - Do you know the times for the services at the church across the street from El Convento? That might just work out for us. Thanks, Jan

OOPS! I think it's the same church that we are both talking about ... could someone let me know for sure?

Yeah, it is the same church: Cathedral San Juan Baptista. Ponce de Leon is interred there. Located right across from El Convento.

Mass is held on Sunday at 9am and 11am.

Hi all

I stored the links to all the great PR info and will read when I get home. DH and I are thinking of doing a land-based vacation in PR next Feb (instead of another cruise - looking for something different). Is there a particular area I should be looking at for our "home base"? We are planning on staying around 5 nights and will get a rental car so we can travel around the island. I would like to be on the beach or at least a place with a nice pool. I'm also considering a condo rental instead of a hotel - just trying to get familiar with the areas I should be looking for.

Thanks for all the info - can't wait to read all about it!

Hi all

I stored the links to all the great PR info and will read when I get home. DH and I are thinking of doing a land-based vacation in PR next Feb (instead of another cruise - looking for something different). Is there a particular area I should be looking at for our "home base"? We are planning on staying around 5 nights and will get a rental car so we can travel around the island. I would like to be on the beach or at least a place with a nice pool. I'm also considering a condo rental instead of a hotel - just trying to get familiar with the areas I should be looking for.

Thanks for all the info - can't wait to read all about it!

Well,I guess it depends on what you want to do while you are here.

I like the NE area (Rio Grande/Luquillo)- not to far from either Old San Juan or Fajardo (where you can do snorkeling or go to other islands). Right by the rain forest for hiking. But if you are nightlife people, stay in Isla Verde.... If you like to surf, then Rincon.....

Our travel site might help give you ides :http://www.Puertoricodaytrips.com. Most suggestions are close to the NE, but there are a number in SJ and other areas around the island.

For Condo/vacation rentals, check site like VRBO.com or VRConnection.com. They offer a bunch of great options in all the areas.

ps-Feb and March are my favorite months here- warm and sunny and hardly any rain!

I like the NE area (Rio Grande/Luquillo)- not to far from either Old San Juan or Fajardo (where you can do snorkeling or go to other islands). Right by the rain forest for hiking. But if you are nightlife people, stay in Isla Verde.... If you like to surf, then Rincon.....

Our travel site might help give you ides :http://www.Puertoricodaytrips.com. Most suggestions are close to the NE, but there are a number in SJ and other areas around the island.

For Condo/vacation rentals, check site like VRBO.com or VRConnection.com. They offer a bunch of great options in all the areas.

ps-Feb and March are my favorite months here- warm and sunny and hardly any rain!

coquishideaway - the aerial views I have seen from the Caribe Hilton looks like there's reef behind it - can you snorkel there or is the water too rough? Are there any other places to snorkel nearby?

coquishideaway - the aerial views I have seen from the Caribe Hilton looks like there's reef behind it - can you snorkel there or is the water too rough? Are there any other places to snorkel nearby?

Well,I have not been to that beach, but I hear it is a pretty nice, private beach. Someone once mentioned snorkeling there, but it probably isn't too good since it isn't mentioned too often and it is in SJ.

Escambron Beach (just a little bit away from the Hilton) has a small reef around the swimming area. Again, it is ok, but not very good. I assume it would be similar to the Hiton's reef. Lots of silt on the reef, not a lot of live coral. But a number of different fishes (including barracuda!).

The best snorkeling is off of Fajardo and off of Rincon areas.

Our travel site might help give you ides :www.Puertoricodaytrips.com. Most suggestions are close to the NE, but there are a number in SJ and other areas around the island.

Thanks - we aren't big nightlife people, love to snorkle and I would like to see rainforest. RioGrande/Luquillo sounds like the right area for us. I've been checking VRBO. We really like a King bed and then seem to be hard to come by for 1 bedroom condo.. I will keep searching though.. :)

Ooooh...that is TOO funny! Now we are 6 for 6!!! Guess I'll have to brush up on my Spanish (or my English!): St John the Baptist vs. San Juan Baptista!!!! Who'd a thunk it???? (Thanks Coquishideaway!)

Best Buds - My birthday is September 18th .... being a virgo means that I love to plan :D Jan

PS - Keep the ideas coming ... and make sure you let me know how everything works out ! :)

My birthday was yesterday (Libra)! I am a proud compulsive-obsessive planner! It is more of a beloved hobby than a chore for me! My DH always says, "Don't you just pay the money and get on a ship and cruise?" He has NO idea! The stuff I have learned from these threads is invaluable...so many great ideas from so many wonderful people who have actually BEEN there DONE that!

When we read these posts, we learn what is really great and what is not so great to do on island. This saves a lot of heartache (as in when some of our group took the RCCL rainforest trip in Puerto Rico and others in our group sadly couldn't. As it turned out, the RCCL tour was mostly spent trapped in a bus on a long, hot ride through horrendous traffic with a boring guide and the tour even neglected all the great aspects of the rainforest and only stopped once at a cheesy roadside tourist souvenir shop! No views of Luquillo Beach, no local lunch stop, no swimming in waterfall pools and no visit to El Yunque's beautiful welcome center. Those that took it were mucho disappointed--actually mad!) On the other hand, we would have missed signing up for Jose's segway tour of Old San Juan if we hadn't read about how wonderful he is and what a great tour for the money! We all love, love, love Pinel Island off St Martin but were disappointed in the tiny beach (even though the snorkeling was wonderful) at Coki Beach on St Thomas. These boards are where everyone's opinion really DOES matter--so keep the ideas coming this way!

PS I stayed home from work today to work on my Halloween costume but couldn't resist reading these posts for a little while!

Clouds help on a moonlit night by blocking the moonlight. But then you can't see all the stars in the sky! So there's always a tradeoff.

Operators do not schedule tours for those nights when the moon is not favorable. A couple of the operators bring a tarp to hold up to block the moonlight so you can see the "glow".

Regarding Laguna Grande versus Mosquito Bay ...

Having visited both biobays, the electric pontoon in Vieques (Mosquito Bay) is a better experience than kayaking in Fajardo (Laguna Grande), IMO. There's no work involved on your part (versus kayaking), you spend more time in the actual biobay, and (for now) you can still swim in Mosquito Bay.

That said, if you take the trip with East Island Excursions out of Fajardo, you're looking at $109/person, versus $55-$65/person kayaking in Fajardo. So your wallet plays a part in the equation, too.

But you do have to consider what you're getting for that $109 ... power catamaran from Fajardo to Vieques and back again, rum drinks, dinner, transportation from dock to restaurant and back, and the biobay tour itself. So, if you figure you'd spend $20-$30/person for dinner anyway, you'll see that the price is pretty reasonable for what you're getting.

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone! We will be in San Juan in November on Tuesday the 18th, and REALLY want to do the East Island Fajardo excursion rather than the Laguna Grande one, but our ship leaves at 11PM rather than at midnight. I've heard it takes over an hour to get to the Fajardo place from where the cruise ship docks so we wouldn't make it back in time if the excursion doesn't get over until 10:30 pm. Does anyone know of any other companies that do the same excursion except maybe without the dinner so we could get back earlier?? Any other suggestions anyone has in regards to this would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi everyone! We will be in San Juan in November on Tuesday the 18th, and REALLY want to do the East Island Fajardo excursion rather than the Laguna Grande one, but our ship leaves at 11PM rather than at midnight. I've heard it takes over an hour to get to the Fajardo place from where the cruise ship docks so we wouldn't make it back in time if the excursion doesn't get over until 10:30 pm. Does anyone know of any other companies that do the same excursion except maybe without the dinner so we could get back earlier?? Any other suggestions anyone has in regards to this would be greatly appreciated!!

Nicole - I had checked into doing the Bio Lagoon tours another time when San Juan was a port for us and I think it's really too far and cutting it to close IMO (especially if your boat leaves at 11pm). You may want to wait and consider this tour for a cruise leaving from San Juan and you can stay an extra night there to do the tour.

Our travel site might help give you ides :www.Puertoricodaytrips.com. Most suggestions are close to the NE, but there are a number in SJ and other areas around the island.

How current is the info on your "travel site"? Some of the links do not seem active. Is the La Rumba Party Cruise still operating? I found much of the info on the site very useful. Thanks!

How current is the info on your "travel site"? Some of the links do not seem active. Is the La Rumba Party Cruise still operating? I found much of the info on the site very useful. Thanks!

It should all be pretty up-to-date (at least as far as I know). I do constantly update old articles when I find new info etc. I just updated the Rumba info- thanks for the heads up!

La Rumba boat cruise is still going out. I called and they have changed a few times and prices. They have a new web page:

http://www.larumbacruises.com/

Archived