Food on Ms Avalon Artistry

rivernomad

At this moment I am in Bucharest, about to embark on the Ms Avalon Artistry for a cruise up the Danube, all the way to Nurnberg (and Prague). I just read previous message concerning the food on the Artistry and I must admit that I am sorry that these guests weren't happy with the food. I had the pleasure to have sailed with Ms Avalon Artistry already 2 times and both times I was very happy with the quality of the food as well as the presentation and the choice offered to us. Maybe that the choice is not up to par with a seacruise, but I made the choice to go on a river cruise and am well aware that on a rivercruise ship the possibilities are limited. We took a tour of the galley and I was amazed that a galley that size was able to put out the great meals we had for lunch and dinner. Maybe that those people that are complaining about the rivercruise should stay on the seacruises. I have travelled Tauck as well as Uniworld and their food was certainly not better than on Artistry.

I will keep you informed about my experience on this Black Sea Cruise with Avalon.

Enjoy your trip ... I'm sure that the food on the Artistry will be good ... on a forum like this, it is hard to find everyone in agreement on everything ... we enjoyed the meals ... and the pastries ... the pastry chef was amazing.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences.

I was not comparing the food on the Artistry to food available on an ocean cruise but to other river cruises. Serveral of us on the Artistry were comparing the food served on the Artistry to other river cruise companys that we had sailed previously. The conclusion with everyone in the group was that the food on the Artistry did not come close the the quality of the food we had on other river vessels.

MSEm

There were folks who were comparing the Artistry food to ocean cruises ... I have nothing to compare to as this was our first cruise ... but we were pleased with the meals, pastries, wine, etc.

Again each of us has our own taste ... my posting was not done as a slam against anyone ... just simply stating my opinion from my experience ... :)

We cruised on the Artistry in May/June from Bucharest to Budapest. The food had mixed reviews. Personally I thought Breakfast was very good. I was ate the same items that I do on an Ocean Cruise and they were just as good or better. Lunch was usually good. I liked that it was a buffet. Dinner was a disappointment. The first night and the next to last night the food was better than the other nights. This showed that they were capable of putting out a better product every night. The portions were small but that was a positive, since it is healthier to eat less than what Americans are used to. Our major complaint about dinner was the constant clearing of dishes while people at the table were still eating. It was too rushed. The free wine was only adequate. My suggestion would be to improve the complimentary wine and perhaps cruisers would care less about the quality of the food at dinner. It is worth a try!

I was fortunate enough to be part of a group of 14 who happened to be on the same cruise as Webfoot and I agree completely with her assessment regarding the food.

We were all happy with the presentation, variety and service. Sure, there were some meals we liked more than others. There were some options we liked better but that's to be expected.

Personally, I was (mostly!) happy to pass on the pastries and appreciated the fact that there was fresh fruit on offer which I took back to my cabin to eat later whilst watching the world go by.

No complaints from me - or from any of our large group. Enjoy your travels!

(Webfoot, have tried several times to send you the photos I promised but emails keep bouncing)

Cam

• 1 month later...

Archived