Solo Dinner Seating

Leo Jay

Aside from those of you who have requested changes to your assigned seating, please report what kind of seating arrangements you were given as a solo cruiser. Table for 4, table for 8, mixture of solos and couples, etc. I realize of course that arrangements will depend on how many solos are on my sailing, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Still undecided about whether I should request my own table for two.

:rolleyes: Thanks.

Aside from those of you who have requested changes to your assigned seating, please report what kind of seating arrangements you were given as a solo cruiser. Table for 4, table for 8, mixture of solos and couples, etc. I realize of course that arrangements will depend on how many solos are on my sailing, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Still undecided about whether I should request my own table for two.

Every time I have sailed solo, they assigned other solos at my table. I have been at tables of 8.

Every time I have sailed solo, they assigned other solos at my table. I have been at tables of 8.

Thanks. Did you all feel like you had to keep each other informed about whether you planned on eating at the buffet some night or another? I understand the waiters like to wait until everyone has arrived, so it might be a problem if you don't know whether you should wait for a latecomer or not. That's one of the concerns we've always had about group tables. I would think the problem could be multiplied if you were dealing with 8 separate parties at the same table.

Thanks. Did you all feel like you had to keep each other informed about whether you planned on eating at the buffet some night or another? I understand the waiters like to wait until everyone has arrived, so it might be a problem if you don't know whether you should wait for a latecomer or not. That's one of the concerns we've always had about group tables. I would think the problem could be multiplied if you were dealing with 8 separate parties at the same table.

No, while some people came late or not at all, it never really slowed down the process. The waiters just adjusted.

I have never experienced a waiter not starting the service until everyone arrived. Maybe I have been lucky.

• Round table for eight w/three other solos and two couples:)

• Round table for ten w/two families and one other solo:)

• Booth for six w/a couple and two other solos:( (I don't like booths so asked for change and got it for next night.)

• Rectangle for eight w/large family and myself as only solo:(

• Don't remember the other cruise arrangements.......

I always request to be put at a large table. Mostly, that's what has happened. I enjoy the company and good conversation of my table mates. Only once was I put at a table for 4...and, while they were pleasant enough, they were sort of grumpy older women who annoyed me to no end (I'm pretty calm about this but got tired of the complaining). After the 2nd night, I asked the Maitre'd to find me another spot.....he did and it was fine.

Before anyone flames me, I TOO am a "woman of a certain age" and I can see why they might have sat me at that table. However, nothing sets my teeth on edge more than older folks who moan, complain and talk about every body ailment they have....or their latest surgery for bunions!!!!!:p

Carnival usually puts the solo travelers at one table, but I have been on cruises where there are only 2 or 3 solo travelers so other peiple may be mixed in. One cruise there were 3 solo travelers and a family of 3 from Argentina.

I've been on cruise where I have showed up at a large table the first night and nobody else showed up. I had been assigned early seating that cruise and didn't like it so I talked to the Matr'D that night and got moved to a table with a small group of single women.

Before anyone flames me' date=' I TOO am a "woman of a certain age" and I can see why they might have sat me at that table. However, nothing sets my teeth on edge more than older folks who moan, complain and talk about every body ailment they have....or their latest surgery for bunions!!!!!:p[/quote']

I see you've met my MIL.

table and chair..so my table mates are a crap shoot..sometimes I meet up w/ an interesting person, or 2, and if they wish to sit with me, I have always been obliged with the MD changing them to my table, and a note is sent to those ppl, that their table has been changed if need be. it is a 10 top, so lots of room..several times that table is not full yet when that is done. they like me, they reallly like me. I guess..but I have the MD do that the last night, as he will pull up my next cruze, and assign my table then..with a DNM (do not move) by my name

Although I had requested early seating, I was placed at a late seating table with young singles. Being neither young nor single and prefering early seating, on the third night I was moved to early seating, but given a table by myself.

Although the service was excellent, I had a table for 2 by myself... I wish they would have put some thought into the seating arrangement in advance, shouldn't have been too difficult to find an extra chair for early seating right from the start.

I met a someone quite late the cruise who was also by himself. He was given a table for early seating with other solo's, and an extra chair.

With all of the changes that people request on the first day of the cruise, it might be easier to try to accomodate requests right from the beginning. Airlines let passengers select their seats, we can select our cabins when we make reservations, perhaps the reservation system might allow passengers to select their dining room tables and dining times when we book our cruises. We could select according to availability. First come, first choice. There can be a disclaimer that remaining seats at the tables might be filled with other passengers and/or that the ship can change the assignments if necessary.

On Elation, there were no tables for 2, I took a tour down and looked for one and couldnt find them so when I went to the Maitre'D and requested to be seated alone because I was feeling sick, he gave us a table that sat 6 passengers.

Fred

I always request to be put at a large table. Mostly' date=' that's what has happened. I enjoy the company and good conversation of my table mates. Only once was I put at a table for 4...and, while they were pleasant enough, they were sort of grumpy older women who annoyed me to no end (I'm pretty calm about this but got tired of the complaining). After the 2nd night, I asked the Maitre'd to find me another spot.....he did and it was fine.

Before anyone flames me, I TOO am a "woman of a certain age" and I can see why they might have sat me at that table. However, nothing sets my teeth on edge more than older folks who moan, complain and talk about every body ailment they have....or their latest surgery for bunions!!!!!:p[/quote']

On my last CCL cruise I was placed at a table with 3 kids who if they added their ages they still could not buy a drink. The mother was at another table and the father wasn't hungry. To make matters worse the kids language could embarass a Marine DI:mad:

After some complaining I was placed at a table with 3 ladies. At the end of the cruise I know all of their problems.:(

I went solo last September and I got a table for eight. One married couple (they were a hoot!!!), and two women (friends) travelling together. Only the five of us showed up, which isn't unusual as many people don't want to go to the dining room and will go to the buffet...Me, I get buffeted out of I go for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback; I guess I'll stick with my instincts and request a solo. I was willing to give a group table a try, but the downside is that if I try it and am not happy, my chances of getting a solo table would be much less than if I'd asked for one as soon as I boarded. Also, I wouldn't want to offend my table mates by having them see me eating at a different table the rest of the week. :o

Archived