Off the Beaten Path Day Trip

MaybeMaybeline

Hi!

My friend and I will be spending a few nights in San Juan. We're pretty familiar with the Old City and would like to take a few day trips, probably involving a rental car. Options we like so far are El Yunque/Luquillo and Ponce. I was hope for something a little more off the beaten path and different though. I don't mind driving 2-3 hours if the drive is scenic and the site worth it. I'd love to see somewhere a little more rustic and real. We are, however, two young females. I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish, but it's certainly not great. Any good ideas for something a little different?

Also...we will be staying at El Convento. We are planning on making 2-3 day trips involving renting a car. What's the best place to rent from? Hertz? Charlie's? Who allows late drop-off and what are the odds of finding parking over night if we can't get a late drop-off?

Also, we're traveling in September. Yay for hurricane season discounts!

Caitlin

We can help you with your "what to do" question if you give us more info on what "something different and off the beaten path" means to you.

What "kinds" of things are you interested in?

History? Culture? Art? Nature? Beaches? Watersports?

Regarding parking near El Convento ... there are a number of lots within a short walking distance of El Convento. Just look for the P on this map.

Oh I meant to put that in my first post...definitely history, culture, and food. Not very big on beaches and water sports. The trip to Luquillo should satisfy that urge well enough. Something like Guavate sounds right up our alley. Are there any other interesting things to see in that area?

Oh I meant to put that in my first post...definitely history, culture, and food. Not very big on beaches and water sports. The trip to Luquillo should satisfy that urge well enough. Something like Guavate sounds right up our alley. Are there any other interesting things to see in that area?

On the way to Guavate, you might consider taking a side-trip to the new-ish botanic and cultural garden in Caguas. It's only about 10 minutes off the the Route 52 highway.

If you head down to Ponce, keep in mind that the Art Museum is closed for renovations. But there are plenty of other things to do. There's Serralles Castle, El Vigia Cross and Japanese Garden, Parque de Bombas (firehouse) and a trolley tour that takes you around the city and to a couple small museums.

There are a number of coffee plantations that you can visit a little west of Ponce. We've been to Hacienda Buena Vista, which was simple, but nice.

Though not in the Guavate area, you may be interested in the Pinones area ... not so much for the beach, but more for the food and entertainment value.

Hope this helps!

Hi!

My friend and I will be spending a few nights in San Juan. We're pretty familiar with the Old City and would like to take a few day trips, probably involving a rental car. Options we like so far are El Yunque/Luquillo and Ponce. I was hope for something a little more off the beaten path and different though. I don't mind driving 2-3 hours if the drive is scenic and the site worth it. I'd love to see somewhere a little more rustic and real. We are, however, two young females. I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish, but it's certainly not great. Any good ideas for something a little different?

Also...we will be staying at El Convento. We are planning on making 2-3 day trips involving renting a car. What's the best place to rent from? Hertz? Charlie's? Who allows late drop-off and what are the odds of finding parking over night if we can't get a late drop-off?

Also, we're traveling in September. Yay for hurricane season discounts!

Caitlin

if you are staying at the convento you can rent from hertz at the sheraton old san juan..you can walk from the convento to the sheraton and yes they have an after hours drop off box there.!

carmen

I'm starting to recommend the following off-the-touristy-areas self paced excursion:

A ferry/train overview of the San Juan Metropolitan Area beyond the resorts and the main attractions.

The Old San Juan to Hato Rey (mid town) water taxi is now back in operation, albeit only on weekends.

You can take the water taxi/ferry in Old San Juan's pier 2. It's supposed to leave every hour on the hour but please be patient as this is a government run operation. Again, this service is only available on weekends right now and it's FREE.

The water taxi will get you through mangrove canalas that are part of the San Juan Bay Estuary to the heart of the Hato Rey financial district. From there, it's a very short walk to the Tren Urbano (metro/subway-type) Hato Rey station. For a $1.50 ride each way, you'll get to see most of the San Juan metro area.

You'll ride past the high rise office buildings of Hato Rey, under the Rio Piedras section of the City and the University of Puerto Rico, back over an elevated platform all the way to the suburban cities of Guaynabo and Bayamon.

Later today, I'll let you know what you can do at each stop if you're so inclined to go native.

Again, nothing touristy. Just the real deal. And it's a clean, safe ride all the way. There's not much to see at half the stops, but one more time, it is a local experience.

First stop: Hato Rey Acua-Expreso (water express) station, Martí-Coll Linear Park and Hato Rey Tren Urbano (Urban Train) station.

As you get off the water taxi, walk to the street in front of the terminal.

Across the street you'll see the Puerto Rico Coliseum. In itself, it's architectural eye-candy. If your're lucky, at the time of your visit there mught be a major entertainment event. Check out http://www.ticketpop.com for schedules.

As you leave the water taxi parking area, hang a left and immediately you'll see an iron gate to the Martí-Coll Linear Park. It's a FREE 1 1/2 mile walk along a bridge/walkway that stretches all the way to San Juan's Central Park. The Central Park is not a passive park like New York's. It's an athletic-centered facility. Very clean, safe and a nice workout.

The linear park walk itself is a great place to do some bird watching and iguana gawking. You'll notice a bitter smell that might remind you of sewage, but's that's actually the sulfur that's natural to mangroves. The federal government is supposed to dredge that canal to improve the water quality but it is not half bad. You can walk as far as you like and then track back to the Hato Rey Tren Urbano station which is right next to the entrance of the park.

Once in the station, the ride is $3.00 round trip. You can buy your tickets at the automated vendors, and add $1.50 for each additional station that you intend to get on and off. Go to the "Bayamon" side of the track and head to the next station at Roosevelt Avenue.

Next stop: Roosevelt Station.

This station is at the heart of the San Juan Hato Rey district, also known as the Golden Mile for the number of banks that are hq'd there.

If you want to have a hearty, Puerto Rican/Cuban meal that's inexpensive, head one half block west of the Roosevelt Station and you'll find the Metropol Restaurant. Nothing fancy, but it is a popular eatery. It's like a toned-down version of Miami's Versailles on Calle Ocho.

If you're shopping inclined, one mile west of the Roosevelt Station is the largest mall in the Caribbean, Plaza Las Americas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Las_Am%C3%A9ricas

Allegedly, the Metropolitan Bus Authority is offering FREE bus service between the Roosevelt Station and Plaza Las Americas, but I cannot vouch for the reliability of this service. If you see a van or a bus with the "AMA" logo on it waiting on the transfer area, ask him if he's going to "Plaza".

Caution: If you decide to walk rather than wait for the bus please note a disagreeable idiosyncracy of "us people". Parking in this area is at a premium, and some business along Roosevelt Avenue, while police looks the other way, have invaded certain stretches of sidewalk to use them as parking spots. At some points you might have to step unto the road to go around parked cars. Unfortunately, pedestrians are often viewed as NOT having the right of way.

Once you get past under a freeway overpass you'll see the huge multistory parking garage of the mall. The nearest entrance is the Border's entrance. In this mall you'll find great movie theaters, places to eat of all kinds, and excellent stores.

If by the end of your mall walk you are too tired to walk back to the Roosevelt Station, there's a busy taxi stand at the Mall's main entrance, halfway along the main hall. The taxis can take you back to Old San Juan if you like.

If you go back to the Roosevelt Tren Urbano Station, get on the Bayamon track if you want to continue your overview of the city. If you're ready to head back to your hotel at this point, get on the Sagrado Corazon side of the track, get off at Hato Rey station, and head back to the water taxi terminal.

Next stops soon.

Along the rest of the stops, you'll start noticing the not-very-well-planned urban sprawl of the greater San Juan Metropolitan Area. You'll see some areas that are not very attractive, but hey, you wanted to go native, eh?

San Juan is a fairly big and busy city. Again, if you just want to do an overview of it, you can stay within the train infrastructure and you'll be perfectly safe. Not that any of the areas are particularly unsafe, but people have different tolerance thresholds to inner cities. It's your call. If you want to venture out of the stations if something catches your eye, daytime is a good time to do it. Rememeber that the last water taxi out to Old San Juan is at 8:30 PM. The train runs through 11:00 PM.

Next stops: Domenech and Piñero Stations.

Rememeber that this train system is fairly new, and the government is trying to increase activity around the stations but that's slow in coming. Still, the rest of the system is mostly over elevated platforms (except the next two stations) which will allow you unblocked views of the all the areas.

Having said that, there's not much to see at these two stations. Mostly government buildings and urban residential areas. Around here you'll start noticing our bunker-like architecture.

There's a good reason for that: hurricanes. Most of the island's structures were wiped out during the hurricanes of the first half of the 20th century. We learned our lesson and starting bulding out of reinforced concrete. There's so much you can do with that material in terms of aesthetics. You'll also see many structures with wrought iron bars on windows and doors. Not only does that discourage thieves but it is also great to keep flying hurricane debris from your place.

Next stop: Universidad

Just before you get to this station the train will go underground. The Universidad stop is the site of the main campus of the Univeristy of Puerto Rico (founded in 1903). It's mostly a liberal arts school and prep for medical and law schools.

You can get off here and go into the schoold grounds. In the main area around the University Tower, you'll see some interesting examples of tropical turn of the 20th century architecture. You'll also find an okay museum, a library and some nice grounds.

Next stop: Rio Piedras

This is a back water town that supports the University. It suffered some neglect during the construction of the train system and it's only now beginning to make a comeback. If you want to get off here you'll find some cheap stores, budget eateries and a pretty good farmers' market.

Next stop: Cupey

Not much to do here. This station sits at the edge of the original San Juan suburbs. You're back on an elevated platform along thios section.

Next stop: Centro Médico

Centro Médico (Medical Center) is the home of the UPR School of Medicine, the city's main trauma center, public hospitals and the Veteran's Hospital. If you want to see an over tasked system with underpaid doctors and nurses at work, this is it.

Next stops: San Franciso/Las Lomas/Martinez Nadal

Not much to see here either. You're still above ground so you'll see more samples of PR city living.

Next stop: Torrimar

This is an affluent section of the metro area, and you're now in the City of Guaynabo. If you need an ice cream fix, there's a brand new and funky Ben and Jerry's store right at this station.

Next stops: Jardines/Deportivo/Bayamon

You're now enetering the middle/working class City of Bayamon and the end of the line.

At Deportivo, there's a mid-sized shopping mall. There's also a baseball/soccer stadium and you might even get a glimpse of a professional soccer game as we are in the midst of the season and Puerto Rico has a professional soccer team, The Islanders.

The end of the line and your turn around point is Bayamon. The ride back if you don't get off anywhere should take about half an hour.

Remember to get off at the Hato Rey station to get back on the water taxi back to Old San Juan.

Hope that this was off-the-beaten-path enough for you.

Hopefully other San Juan residents with more local knowledge of the different stops will see this thread and add more suggestions on what to see.

Enjoy your trip and thank you for traveling to Puerto Rico.

Archived