Hard sell on onboard products and services

NJ Sue

We just returned from our first cruise (Celebrity Infinity to Alaska). It was a wonderful experience for the most part, but I got very tired of sales pitches. Every time I turned around, someone was trying to sell me something. I got a pedicure in the salon and the woman kept trying to push botox and teeth whitening on me when all I wanted was some nice polish. The sommelier interrupted our dinner with a box of Riedel glasses and a pitch for a wine tasting while we were trying to eat. There was always someone hawking auctions and giveaways in the shops. The daily list of activities included "seminars" on acupuncture, etc. in the spa along with old standbys like bingo and trivia contests. I'm sorry, but an infomercial is not an "activity" to my mind. Is this normal? I know the cruiselines are hurting financially what with the price of oil, etc. and they need to make money, but I just felt that the constant hustle was intensely irritating. Is it always like this?

Yes, it is like this, but everything's relative. For some, the cruise is the chance to splurge, and the 'infomercials' are hoping that pax will try something new, be it a spa treatment, wine tasting, art auction, etc. We take it w/ a grain of salt - everyone's trying to make a few dollars. If we buy, fine - if not, just 'no thanks'.

My personal opinion is that the 'hard sell' is even more prevalent on other cruise lines.

I did go to one of those "informative" classes at the fitness center once - last time. Had to do with abdomen weight loss. It ended up being a 30 minute infomercial on red algae that they just happen to sell on the ship for an outrageous price.

Never had a spa treatment on board but I've heard others say right up front - "I don't want to buy any products or hear any sales pitches". They usually comply. But, that is no different than services at other resorts.

Other than that, I really don't remember seeing any hard sells. Yes the shops have promotions, etc. but at least usually give something away for your troubles. But compared with the shops in port that have people on the street steering you into their shops, following your every step. Now they know how to hard sell :)

enjoy,

Duane

I do use the Spa for various treatments, and I always tell them "up front", that I'm there to enjoy my treatment, and if I want to know more about one of their products...I'll ask. I've always been treated with courtesy and respect. It's how you approach the subject at the onset...

Hi Sue:

Was nice too meet you and your family onboard. I'd agree with you about the hard sell. It was the only downside to the cruise and a minor one at that.

My daughter enjoyed hanging out with your daughter and the rest of the girls.

Glad you all had fun.

Ron

I did notice more "selling" on this last Infinity cruise compared to 2 years ago. The wine package and the spa hit us the moment we stepped on the deck. After that first day it seemed to ease off a bit. The worst was on the Grand Princess. You couldn't walk 10 feet without being approached. I felt like I was in Jamaica.

My personal opinion is that the 'hard sell' is even more prevalent on other cruise lines.

If you think the hard sell is bad on a cruise line. Just wait until it comes to an airline near you. If you have ever flown Ryanair in Europe it a non-stop sales pitch from the minute you get on until you get passed the gate getting off. And they have a TON of stuff to sell you. Stuff you can take with you and stuff you can have shipped to your home (wherever it may be). There is a lot of talk on air travel boards that some US airlines are going to start doing this as well. YIKES!:eek:

I find it very easy on board to just say---No. Or being in sales and marketing, i often try to sell them something instead. Like sell them on giving me a discount on their product.:p

I did notice more "selling" on this last Infinity cruise compared to 2 years ago. The wine package and the spa hit us the moment we stepped on the deck. After that first day it seemed to ease off a bit. The worst was on the Grand Princess. You couldn't walk 10 feet without being approached. I felt like I was in Jamaica.

Jamaica? Where do you think they hire their sales people from!;)

Be glad that NCL and their blue light specials, wasn't your first cruise!:D

I have conquered the spa sales pitch already but would find the wine glass pitch really crass & would say so...dinner is not a shopping opportunity!

As I recall last fall when we encountered this on Century, the sommelier was selling us Reidel glasses that we could use right there in the dining room for the balance of the trip and then send/take them home. I felt that it was appropriate to offer me a super glass experience when I was about to drink a rather expensive wine out of a-less-than-adequate glass.

Speaking of glass, I wonder what the sales pitch to buy glass from the Hot Glass show on Solstice will sound like?

Unfortunately, those doing the selling are doing their job as they have been trained. I'm good at saying "no" but I try to be nice about it, I'm sure those making the sales pitch aren't thrilled with it either.

Speaking of airlines selling things, the last flight I was on was really funny, they did an inflight raffle! I'd never heard of such a thing and wondered if it was even legal. I think they sold 10 tickets for $5 or something like that. 50% of the money the collected they purchased products from the airline and raffled them off. The other half of the money was awarded raffle style in cash. The lucky guy across the aisle from me was the big winner, he won nealy $100. That means the stewardesses "sold" nearly $100 worth of junk - pretty good for the airline considering what wasn't junk was seriously overpriced. Even though we didn't win a thing, it was kind of fun, helped pass the time, and my DD then 2 played with our tickets for the rest of the trip, in fact I still find them in the lining of that carseat once in awhile. It was a very unusualy way for the airline to "hawk" their wares, lol!

Archived