Skagway excursions

happy cruisin

Good to hear from you Dave. It sounds like you survived another tourist season, full of people like us! We had a great time in Skagway thanks largely to you. FYI we were there on July 10 off the Zaandam. It was my teen son and me, we borrowed your bikes (I'm sure that narrows it down to several hundred people). We pedaled to the cemetery and waterfall. Then it was up (emphasis on "up") the road towards Dyea to the scenic lookout. I got smug satisfaction by breezing past other cyclists half my age who were struggling up the hill. We took the shortcut back down (it was called "Grizzly Ass Road" if I recall correctly) which quickly took us to the footbridge across from the airport. Our final adventure was trying to find your house!

We hope to get back up to Alaska soon, it was one of the most amazing places we've ever been!

I was in Skagway this past Tuesday. I too spent time figuring out what trip to do and decided to book the Dave guy from Dyea for myself, my 8yr old, my parents--late 70's . On his suggestion we took the WPR to Fraser ( booked directly thru WPR) and he met us there--after taking us to the train Depot in town when we got off the ship. he drove us into the Yukon, making stops along the way WOW I am so glad that I did this rather than using a package tour. It was so personalized, we learned so much and he was able to stop whenever it was a super view. Pricewise, taking another tour would have cost more. I would recommend him w/o any hesitations. Plus, it felt great to see the gigantic tour buses and know that we weren't piled onto on of them.

Just used Dyea Dave two weeks ago to go to emerald lake. Was going to go on the white rail and then go to emerald lake but the summit was fog in so decided to go by car instead. Your choice should be weather dependent. If it is foggy at the summit, you may wish to reconsider the train ride.

On our trip, the summit was fog in for about 10km. Emerald lake was great. So was the dog cart ride at caribou crossing. Dog cart ride was only $30/per person. The advantage of using Dave was that he got us there before the tour buses arrived, so that we had the place to ourselves before the 650 people that arrived about an hour later. I would highly recommend Dave as we had a good experience.

Also took the national park tour and movie on skagway which was very informative and free after we returned from the Yukon. Would highly recommended them even if they were not free.

we used Chilkoot Charters a month, no more, ago and it was wonderful. took train to fraser, were picked up in van and taken north to emerald lake and then to caribou crossing for lunch and carcross to have ice cream and have our passports stamped. very imformative and stops for what we wanted to see, like a bear standing on side of road. i would recommend them greatly. beth

Archived