Skagway excursions

happy cruisin

• Administrators
Hi

We will be in Skagway mid sept can anyone recommend a tour company, we would like to do the White pass one way and bus the other. We have plenty of time

Many thanks

Linda

For a personal recommendation, I would say Chilkoot Charters -- we had a wonderful time with them in June.

Another vote for Chilkoot. We went with them when we were there about 3 weeks ago. We only did the 3 hour train up bus back. Had a good time. The weather was beautiful that day so we had some great views.

We went with Chilkoot last week. Our tour met at 7:30, just be ready to leave the ship by 7AM, should be no problem. Had a great tour with Chilkoot, we took the 3.5 hour tour, train up to Fraser, bus back. Smaller bus a definite plus. But the weather was foggy so hampered viewing at the higher elevations along the road. $118 for adults. Highly recommended.

I'm a new cruiser - this will our first.

It looks like the excursions from Chilcoot leave at 7:30 AM - will we be abe to get off the ship in time?

Despite the fact that your itinerary probably shows you arriving at 7:00, you actually arrive very early, usually before 5:00.

Check out www.****************** . Dave is a local guy who seems to have a good following on this Alaskan board. He seems to be very versatile and will work to create the type of tour you want. gg

Sorry re: the web site. I forgot we are not supposed to print these. Just trying to give you other options from a local. gg

Thanks everyone,

1 more question ,are we going to miss a lot if we only do the 3.5hr trip as I see some others say Yukon and Emerald Lake, we are ok for time and if we do a shorter trip are there things to see in Skagway itself.

Keen to see as much as possible as we are travelling from the UK. Not long before our trip so I want to get something booked.

Thanks Linda:o

If you do the longer trip, as we did in early August, you will probably still have plenty of time to walk around Skagway. It is not a big town and others will probably disagree, but we did not find anything of interest to do.

It is challenging to find any native Alaskan items in the shops. Most are selling tee shirts (made in Taiwan) and jewelry (the same jewelers and jewelry found the Carribean ports).

Chillkoot Tours asked us if we wanted to be dropped off in town or at the pier.

We went with Dave in July. It was a great experience, customized to our interests. They use a large van and we made a lot of stops that the buses did not. Dave is very friendly and knows a lot about the history, geology, and wildlife in the area.

Thanks everyone,

1 more question ,are we going to miss a lot if we only do the 3.5hr trip as I see some others say Yukon and Emerald Lake, we are ok for time and if we do a shorter trip are there things to see in Skagway itself.

Keen to see as much as possible as we are travelling from the UK. Not long before our trip so I want to get something booked.

Thanks Linda:o

I would do at least the 7 hour trip and would consider the 9 hour trip if you have any interest in the Gold Rush. We just did the 9 hour with Chilkoot in August and loved it. We did the 7 hour through Princess back in 2005 and liked it a lot, but Chilkoot was much better in terms of less people on the tour and far less crowding in both the train and the bus. Be aware though that the food for lunch on the 9 hour tour is edible, but not much more than that. Bring snacks.

You can post web site URL's...just not Dyea Dave's!

Help me understand this, :confused: Nancy, so I don't flub up again. I see posts every day re: various float plane operators, bus tour operators, places to shop in Alaska, tour companies, national chain store web sites, such as Crocs, or Best Buy, or Macy's and often the www. site is printed and not ****** over. Tell me the difference. If our goal is to help our fellow cruisers ....why not give them the web sites for anyone. Then they can check out that person, organization, shop, etc. and decide for themself. I do not see myself or others as advertising for that person, merely sharing my experience. To me, the positive word of mouth is the reason I choose all my independents. I guess I am just not so informed re: the CC rules.....altho I certainly try to abide by them all. gg

Ok, I just had the perfessor of English grammer examine that sentence structure and she came up with the operators of this site being banned from posting on their own site!?!:eek:

As for me, and only since I seem to resemble the latest asspersions cast..

I am alive, well, and still reporting the other half of the truth from the not so far north, in spite of "rumours of my demise have been exaggerated"

Thanks to Mark Twain as well as all of the fine people on this board who know me a bit better than others:rolleyes:

Your humble informant, on the scene, in Skagway and Carcross, stands ready to enlighten all adventurers, who seek the truth re. these places on a day to day basis.

Thank you all for visiting here!

DD:D

Help me understand this, :confused: Nancy, so I don't flub up again. I see posts every day re: various float plane operators, bus tour operators, places to shop in Alaska, tour companies, national chain store web sites, such as Crocs, or Best Buy, or Macy's and often the www. site is printed and not ****** over. Tell me the difference. If our goal is to help our fellow cruisers ....why not give them the web sites for anyone. Then they can check out that person, organization, shop, etc. and decide for themself. I do not see myself or others as advertising for that person, merely sharing my experience. To me, the positive word of mouth is the reason I choose all my independents. I guess I am just not so informed re: the CC rules.....altho I certainly try to abide by them all. gg

I don't know why the powers that be do what they do - but DD's site gets ****** when you try to post the URL. As evidenced above (*waves to DyeaDave) - he can still post here.

Hello, just wanted to express my absolute delight with DyeaDave when my family and I toured with him in mid-August. We spent a whole day, 8 am til 4 pm, with him and certainly enjoyed it. Great value too!!

He picked us up at the dock and drove all the way to Emerald Lake and the drive was gorgeous. He is knowledgeable and his driving skills put me at ease as it was misty/foggy part of the way going through the mountains in the morning. So glad I booked him.

Actually, I found out about him from this site. Originally, I was planning to drive (so glad I did not have to due to fog etc and I get to enjoy the scenery) but being Canadian, cannot rent a car and drive back into Canada. Like someone says, just google "dave dyea skagway"

Archived