Which cruise line

lolo73

We want advice from avid cruisers about which cruise line to choose. We will be sailing the med and want the best food and the best service.

Also we heard that there is a way to pay for ocenview and get a free upgrade to balcony?? any hints:p

We want advice from avid cruisers about which cruise line to choose. We will be sailing the med and want the best food and the best service.

Also we heard that there is a way to pay for ocenview and get a free upgrade to balcony?? any hints:p

Welcome to Cruise Critic....You've asked your question on the Holland American board, therefore you are bound to get answers from those who prefer Holland America..Believe most on this board would recommend HAL or Celebrity..

Our personal preference is either Oceania or HAL, however we have never cruised on Celebrity or Princess so we're obviously biased..Oceania is more expensive than HAL both in fares & gratuities & they do not have a fuel surcharge ceiling as HAL does,..Oceania does offer free air on many of their Med cruises & often times include gratituities....In my opinion their service & food is much better than HAL..Oceania is smart casual (No formal nights) while HAL has two formals nights on 7 day cruises... Oceania's two alternative restaurants (chop house & Italian) are free & HAL's Pinnacle is $20. pp..The Pinnacle is also as good as Oceania's..

Oceania is completely non-smoking in cabins & verandas, however they have two small areas of the ship, where one can smoke..Would place HAL's service second, as the Indonesian Crew is very attentive.. Enjoy HAL's Pasta bar in the Lido for lunch & their bread pudding is to die for..We just got off the "Veendam" on Friday in Alaska..Fantastic Cruise & loved Alaska..Even DH decided he wants to go back after not wanting to go to Alaska, but agreeing to go for me!....What a fantastic place that is..

On our ship we received a smoking survey..Based on the questions, I believe that very soon HAL will ban smoking in both cabins & on Verandsah's... JMO..

On HAL we enjoy their wrap around Promenade Deck which Oceania ships do not have..

You might receive more varied suggestions by posting the same question on the "Ports of Call Board" specifically the Med/Europe Region..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Suggest you are more specific as to what type of Cabin you prefer, your interests, & approx which cities you are interested in..

Upgrades on HAL are not that common..There is no way to guarantee that you will be upgraded to a balcony when booking an outside cabin....There have been cases where Psgrs have booked a guaranteed outside cabin & were upgraded, but not always..We have over a hundred days on HAL, book specific types of outside cabins, such as mid-ship E or EE..We've been upgraded once & that was to a better outside cabin.. Never received a balcony upgrade...So when booking a guarantee Hal will either give you the same type of cabin you paid for or perhaps will confirm a better catagory..If you are not willing to accept what you paid for you may be quite disappointed...

Hope you get the answers you are looking for..

We've never had a bad cruise! Cheers..:) Betty

Go to the home page where you will see a 'LUXURY' tab which might help. The food on most cruise ships are pretty good or excellent. Which sort of food do you want as just 'best' is a bit vague. In the Med you might be looking for the best of French, Italian, Greek, Moroccan etc. I sailed in the Costa Allegra this year which always had an Italian choice as well as oriental (we were in that part of the world). I believe all the Costa ships maintain a strong Italian feel to their cruises. The NCL Jade on the other hand had numerous choices some of which cost you extra.

I recommend you check out some of the reviews, there are loads here and remember you have to take them all with a pinch of salt!

Best service, food and upgrades are all very subjective: well upgrades are not, but don't count on paying one price and getting a better cabin. this may be the luck of the draw. If you have your heart set on a particular type of cabin, book that, don't expect an upgrade.

Food and service, I think I would rate HAL above other lines, but again, this is a matter of opinion. We love the cabins (larger than most) our service was great and we enjoyed the food, but with this, I will add, most cruise lines are more similar than different (basic lines that is)

Now like Jim said, money not being a problem, you would find Crystal at the top of the list, also SilverSeas, certainly SeaDream and closely behind them, Oceana, but you will pay though the teeth for the luxury of being treated like kings and queens.....

Nita

Archived