Dropping Fuel Surcharge?

YoPhilly

It really doesn't matter what the cost of a barrel of oil is right now.

It really doesn't matter what you are paying for gasoline right now.

It matters COMPLETELY what the cruise lines pay for fuel oil right now.

One year ago my ship was paying $300 per ton for fuel.

By the end of the year (2007) we were paying $600 per ton for fuel.

On a 7-day cruise, that adds an additional $350,000 in costs.

The fuel surcharges covered only a portion of that $350,000 every week.

Somebody forgot to tell our fuel supplier that the price of oil has dropped.

Three days ago we still paid $600 per ton.

Thanks for the data. It does support the argument for continuing the surcharge - for now.

WWCJR, the link to fuel prices was helpful to see where we are now compared with last year.

I'm glad to see so many of you voicing your opinions about this. I've been noticing that the boards are strangely silent lately re: the fuel surcharge.

I don't wear rose-colored glasses; on the contrary I am a realist. So many times - in government taxes/fees and in private fees, there is a "temporary" solution that becomes permanent because we (collectively) allow it to happen by being passive.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that cruising is a great value, and I agree that fuel costs the cruise lines a boatful of money. My concern is that fuel prices will stabilize where they used to be, and the cruise lines will continue with the surcharge.

No one can ever accuse me of being one of the sheep. I'm usually leading the charge! :D

I don't expect the cruise lines will be in a hurry to reduce or eliminate fuel surcharges. Until the price of oil is steady for a while at lower prices, we will keep paying. I haven't seen any mention of the airlines, or other businesses dropping theirs.

Paul, you only have to check most of the major airlines websites to get information about their current FSC's and the vast majority have decreased a few times in the past 2-3 weeks. Ok,so far it's only relevant to their cargo but it's all about weight and it works on the same basis with their passenger divisions too so if the cost of fuel were to continue to fall, their passanger FSC's would eventually too.

I don't expect FSC's on tickets to drop anytime soon but reductions are being made by the airlines. BA's will for instance have dropped by Gbp.0-09 per kilo from mid-august by early September. If you were to relate that to someone for instance weighing 80 kilos, that in freight terms would be a reduction of £7-38 ($14-00) Here's a couple of examples..

https://www.aacargo.com/hotnews.jhtml

http://www.baworldcargo.com/surcharges/

Paul, you only have to check most of the major airlines websites to get information about their current FSC's and the vast majority have decreased a few times in the past 2-3 weeks. Ok,so far it's only relevant to their cargo but it's all about weight and it works on the same basis with their passenger divisions too so if the cost of fuel were to continue to fall, their passanger FSC's would eventually too.

I don't expect FSC's on tickets to drop anytime soon but reductions are being made by the airlines. BA's will for instance have dropped by Gbp.0-09 per kilo from mid-august by early September. If you were to relate that to someone for instance weighing 80 kilos, that in freight terms would be a reduction of £7-38 ($14-00) Here's a couple of examples..

https://www.aacargo.com/hotnews.jhtml

http://www.baworldcargo.com/surcharges/

That's my point exactly! There's clearly room for a reduction in the current fuel surcharge. Why isn't anyone raising the issue?

Fuel is still over $1 a galllon more than 1 year ago. The surcharge is here to stay IMO.

Even if they did decrease the surcharge, next thing you know they will limit the amount of baggage you can bring on or charge you to bring more than a certain number of bags. Fuel still isn't at the cost it was a year ago.

I am not complaining - where else can you get a hotel room for a week, all regular food included and entertainment to boot for about $600 for an inside room (Caribbean itinerary)- no where around me anyways! The cost of the fuel surcharge is far less than what they need to purchase the fuel.

Keep working on it, but

we're already booking the Oasis of the Seas for '10.:eek:...;)...:D

Booking for Platinums opens Thursday and my girlfriend can handle the bookings for all of us. We're looking at late Sept., Oct. or November. Maybe the "group" would like to do that one. ???

Pia ~ I don't want to take over this thread

with info or anything not related to it.

So, I will be in contact with you on the other one (thread -pic ;))

Chris

I've been watching gas prices drop, drop, drop over the past few weeks and I'm wondering if any of you have the inside scoop on cruise fuel surcharges. I'd hate to think the cruise lines will continue to charge us extra for fuel on a permanent basis.

I'd be curious to know what the dollar-per-barrel cost was when the cruise lines initiated the fuel surcharge vs. what the dollar-per-barrel cost is now.

My local gas price is 20% less per gallon than at its highest, so I'm wondering if it's time for all of us to say - yo cruise line, how about dropping the fuel surcharge? :confused:

HAHAHA wow you are funny. I don't think the surcharges will ever go away. They are still using these to absorb other costs such and increased prices of food.

Yes, I agree that gas has dropped a lot. I actuall paid only $3.39 for the first time in what seems forever yesterday. But, I also have been driving my Prius for 6 years :p

Anyway, even if gas were to drop back down to $2.00 a gallon, I have a feeling that there would still be a surcharge.

Archived