Zuiderdam 10/16 Western review

Roboat

Hi Flamingogal,

Nice to see you are still around. I will never forget those limes Oscar got for me. Wonder if I should bring my own for my next cruise?:rolleyes: l

The tip is included in the 10.00 per day charged to your account.

IMO....I would be ashamed to receive the fine service in Pinnacle and not say thank you in an appropriate way. I would feel very cheap to leave without tipping. The small bit that trickles down from the automatic tipping to Pinnacle waiters is not enough. Assuming the service is as good as we have (almost) always enjoyed, we would not embarrass ourselves by leaving nothing extra. I think it insulting and cheap. JMHO, of course.

If someone else thinks that tiny amount is sufficient, Okay.

IMO I don't think it is insulting or cheap. If Hal says the tip is handled, it is handled. Hal encourges people to go with the 10.00 per day. How it is divided up is Hal's decision. I don't necessarily agree that cooks and laundry should get a cut, but that is the way Hal wants it. Going with what the cruise line dictates does not make a person insulting or cheap. If someone wants to tip more that is a personal decision.

IMO I don't think it is insulting or cheap. If Hal says the tip is handled, it is handled. Hal encourges people to go with the 10.00 per day. How it is divided up is Hal's decision. I don't necessarily agree that cooks and laundry should get a cut, but that is the way Hal wants it. Going with what the cruise line dictates does not make a person insulting or cheap. If someone wants to tip more that is a personal decision.

Roadwork, I completely agree.

S7S, don't forget that some part (determined by HAL to be fair) of the $10/day tips trickles down to the Pinnacle staff from every passenger, 90% of whom were never even served in the Pinnacle.

I completely understand S7S when she says she would feel cheap if she didn't tip according to what she believes is fair.

I'm pretty sure we all feel the same way.

S7S, don't forget that some part (determined by HAL to be fair) of the $10/day tips trickles down to the Pinnacle staff from every passenger, 90% of whom were never even served in the Pinnacle.

That is good point. A great many pax do not go to Pinnacle so a piece of everyone's tip going to the stewards does represent tips from folks they never served.

We may re-evaluate how much we will be tipping in Pinnacle in the future. I KNOW we will continue to tip extra but we may begin tipping a lower sum than we have been tipping up to now. That should depend on how excellent the service is (or isn't :( ). IMO

Roadwork, I completely agree.

I completely understand S7S when she says she would feel cheap if she didn't tip according to what she believes is fair.

I'm pretty sure we all feel the same way.

I orignigally posted about the 10.00 as a fact. Since opinions are now being posted I throw in mine. I agree with both of you.

The sad thing about chocolate volcano is that if it is undercooked by a minute, it is too runny. If it is overcooked by a minute, it gets very dry very fast. I have had a few that were 'less than perfect'. If one has one of them the first time they order it, they are disappointed and think it not so great. When it is prepared and served exactly as it should be.....It is heavenly IMO

Ours was undercooked - I thought it was normal - thanks for pointing this out Sail, perhaps I will give it another try. :)

Those of you asking about HeatherinFla - her PC bit the dust, I got an email from her saying she was having problems - I miss her too!

As far as tipping in the Pinnacle, we have always done so - but have not eaten there since the start of the auto-tip... I believe we will also reevaluate how much we tip - but I know we will still tip the staff. I think it is a matter of personal choice, and ours is to continue to tip.

I disagree with ordering two entrees - if you order two entrees, you should be charged for them, IMO. It is hardly an "all-you-can-eat" buffet... if that is the experience you are looking for, stay with the Lido.

We are sailing on December 23- first time on the Z and I am doing my homework and gathering information. I am looking for that "secret" quiet outdoor spot on this ship where one can sit and read and not be disturbed by pool noise- we have not reserved a balcony- and we have always been able to find such a spot on other ships. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Naxos

We are sailing on December 23- first time on the Z and I am doing my homework and gathering information. I am looking for that "secret" quiet outdoor spot on this ship where one can sit and read and not be disturbed by pool noise- we have not reserved a balcony- and we have always been able to find such a spot on other ships. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Naxos

There are plenty of places on the Zuiderdam. Up on decks 9 and 10, near the stacks amidships, there will be 100 empty lounge chairs. The trick is to get far enough away from noise near the stacks (A/C?). Forward is usually better.

Also, along the promenade decks there are usually plenty of empty chairs.

And the Crow's Nest during the day, though not outside, can sometimes be a good place to read while surrounded by ocean views.

Idoors there are plenty of spots, too. The Library, the Explorer Lounge, etc. I love toread aboard.

Have a great cruise! I hope you like the Zuiderdam as much as we did last week!

Those of you asking about HeatherinFla - her PC bit the dust, I got an email from her saying she was having problems - I miss her too!

Thanks for the update on Heather!

She loves me SO much! :D I miss her!

Archived