Laptop

Sunshinecrew

Should I bring my laptop? Is there wireless internet in cabins or lounges on the Zuiderdam? Thanks!
The entire ship is supposed to be a hotspot, but some cabins do not get a very strong signal. In cabin 8021 I got better performance from the dial-up connection than from the wireless. The signal in public areas is pretty decent.

I found that having laptop on Zuiderdam was a great convenience. I knew of no one during the 24 days we were on just three months ago that complained about reception. Even if you have poor reception, you can always go to a public area and privately run still - don't have to worry about others milling around you looking over your shoulder.

Take the laptop ...

harry

We always brinbg my laptop on the cruises. I have a high end custom made gaming machine.

She wanders the ship and I stay in the room with an iced bucket of beer and a new game and we are both happy.....It works

Also use it to download cameras, write reviews, and download camcorder

Ruth & Jim

Should I bring my laptop? Is there wireless internet in cabins or lounges on the Zuiderdam? Thanks!

Leave your Laptop at home and save yourself the hassle. There are public use computers if you need internet connectivity.

Leave your Laptop at home and save yourself the hassle. There are public use computers if you need internet connectivity.

Are you kidding?? Why would I want to get dressed and sit in the internet cafe when I can hop online any time I feel like it, in whatever state of dress I choose? The ones in the cafe don't have a hard drive - if you're writing a journal or wanting to dowload your photos you can't do that on HAL's computers.

By all means bring the laptop unless you don't have room in your luggage allowance if flying.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

The entire ship is supposed to be a hotspot, but some cabins do not get a very strong signal. In cabin 8021 I got better performance from the dial-up connection than from the wireless. The signal in public areas is pretty decent.

From the dial-up?????

Yes -- all the ships use dial-up -- thus the internet connection is sloooow!!!

But when I have taken my laptop on cruises I found it very handy to do all my work and "Live" reports (I don't do them anymore) off line -- then I only had to spend a few minutes on-line reporting in to people.

BIG saver of time!!

Also if you want to write e-mails -- you can read them one day -- prepare what you want to say off-line and then either later in the day or the next day -- reply to those people.

From the dial-up?????

Yes -- all the ships use dial-up -- thus the internet connection is sloooow!!!
NO KK, only the Vistas and the Eurodam have dial-up ports in the cabins. (Right next to the telephone jack.) They are nominal 53.4 Kbps, but usually download in the 47 to 49 range in my timing tests. In our Zuiderdam cabin the wireless ran in the low 40's.

Why would I want to get dressed and sit in the internet cafe when I can hop online any time I feel like it, in whatever state of dress I choose?

Sorry, I failed the Hogwarts mind reading class, so I have no clue as to why you might want to do this. I'd suggest you avoid the R and S class ships just in case the WIFI signal is weak so you have a back-up.

I'm told that there is a charge for use. Does anyone know how much?
Of course!

$3.95 to sign up for an account

$0.75 per minute OR

$55 for 100 minutes OR

$100 for 250 minutes

If you sign up on the first day you get 10 bonus min with the 100 min block, or 20 min with the 250 minute block. :)

Sorry, I failed the Hogwarts mind reading class, so I have no clue as to why you might want to do this. I'd suggest you avoid the R and S class ships just in case the WIFI signal is weak so you have a back-up.

On both the Zaandam and Volendam (R class) I had no problem connecting from my cabins - both of which were on the Lower Promenade deck toward the stern. I also liked to connect (either wirelessly on my computer or using the ship's terminals) from the Explorations Cafe when I wasn't in my pajamas and wanted an espresso.

Of course!

$3.95 to sign up for an account

$0.75 per minute OR

$55 for 100 minutes OR

$100 for 250 minutes

If you sign up on the first day you get 10 bonus min with the 100 min block, or 20 min with the 250 minute block. :)

Thanks. What is the charge if you use the computers in the computer room?

I was on the Veendam (S-class) last April and never had a problem with the connection in my cabin. I did have to leave the door open, but that was no big deal.

My next cruise will be the Westerdam, in a cabin on the stern/aft. Maybe on the newer ship I can leave the door closed, but if not - no big deal.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

I was on the Veendam (S-class) last April and never had a problem with the connection in my cabin. I did have to leave the door open, but that was no big deal.

My next cruise will be the Westerdam, in a cabin on the stern/aft. Maybe on the newer ship I can leave the door closed, but if not - no big deal.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

Since you brought up the clothing question ("Why would I want to get dressed"), how does leaving the door open work?

With the Westie, you have a back up, a dial connection. For a dollar you can get a 25' phone line to connect your computer to the dial up port, so you won't have to deal with open doors or questions of dress.

On both the Zaandam and Volendam (R class) I had no problem connecting from my cabins - both of which were on the Lower Promenade deck toward the stern. I also liked to connect (either wirelessly on my computer or using the ship's terminals) from the Explorations Cafe when I wasn't in my pajamas and wanted an espresso.

I got a reasonable signal on the Zaandam in Oct 07, nada on the Volendam (in the cabin) in Feb 08. I spent time on the last cruise in the Crows Nest since I found it difficult to find a plug in the Cafe (and it was quieter at that time of day).

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

I think it was LAFFNVEGAS who reported some time ago that she had a terrible time using her laptop from her aft cabin on the Oosterdam -- sister ship to the Westerdam.

Archived