Tropical Depression #7 forms

Host CJSKIDS

What happens if you did not purchase the insurance and the storms comes. We live in Florida and go out of Port Canaveral

The cruise will go, maybe out of a different port and may go from an Eastern to a Western.

You can still take out travel insurance, depending on when your cruise is. The insurance companies may not allow you to insure your trip if it's next week and there is tropical depression already formed. I have purchased my insurance at the last moment and have never had a problem, but I also don't typically cruise in hurricane season.

I cruise next week. Monday

I'm sure you'll be fine. It shouldn't be up that high in Florida come Monday. They may make some modifications to the ports if they need to but your cruise will go I'm sure.

Have a great time!

I have to say that this is my first time cruising during Hurricane season and now that I see Gustav has formed I'm getting pretty concerned that we might not leave.

We're sailing from Miami on Sat, Aug 30th is it likely that they'll change port or even cancel?

I cruise next week. Monday

You should be ok. If worse comes to worse and the storm is heading our way, RCCL will move their ships out of harm's way and you may have to board at another port, or maybe a day later.

Please do not worry for now. It is too soon to know. Take ithis advise from a local Floridian from Miami. (Please do be on the look out and watch the weather channel, or your local news channel if you are in Florida).

I have to say that this is my first time cruising during Hurricane season and now that I see Gustav has formed I'm getting pretty concerned that we might not leave.

We're sailing from Miami on Sat, Aug 30th is it likely that they'll change port or even cancel?

The storm, if it heads towards Miami, will not be here by this Saturday, so you should be just fine.

The most that could happen is that your cruise line might change your itinerary to stay out of harm's way. None of the cruise lines will maintain their regular itinerary if they know that the storm will be on the ship's path, they will immediately move to a safer location.

You did not mention when you will be heading back, if this is a short cruise and you are back when the storm is closing in, the cruise line will either keep the ship at sea for an extra day or two, until it is safe or head to another Florida Port and bus people back to your home port. (When it is safe).

so how do the cruise lines determine when to shift the route? and when would they change the disembarkment port? just wondering as this is slated to affect my cruise next weekend :( ...if I get stuck riding out the storm in Florida, at least i'm not at work, ha!

The cruise lines are in constant communication with the National Hurricane Center and they will make the decision as soon as they know for sure that the storm is heading towards Miami. (Today's cone of error does not mean a whole lot, it is still too far away). They will move every one of their ships out to sea or to another port if the storm is approaching.

As you mentioned, IF (big if) you get stuck down here for the storm, you should be pretty safe, as the buildings had to go through some major changes after hurricane Andrew destroyed quite a bit of Miami in 1992. (We now have windows and door shutters, impact resistant windows, very tough building and roof codes, etc). However, just for your peace of mind, don't think about booking a hotel in the Beach area, as this is the first area to be evacuated when a storm approaches. If you do have to book a hotel, please make sure it is located inland, west of the airport if possible.

Archived