Menu question - peach dessert?

zimmerjulie

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the name of a certain dessert on the Princess menu (hopefully it is still there). It was on the 2nd or 3rd night of a 7 night cruise and it was a peach "something", maybe some fancy name for cobbler. I belive it was served in a shallow ramekin and had the pastry/sugary part on top.

I know this is a strange question, but does anyone know what it is called?

Here's why I ask:

While aboard the Diamond Princess Jan 2007, my Grandmother decided to order ice cream instead of the peach dessert that she was also eyeing. For the rest of the cruise, she kept hoping to see that peach dish pop up on the menu again. I suggested that she just ask if she could get one without it being on the menu, but she is the type to never cause a fuss or ask for anything that wasn't offered, etc. She wouldn't think of it!

Her birthday is coming up. I know I am late in thinking of this, but I was hoping to make something similar for her, but can't remember what it was exactly.

Thanks for any insights!:)

Princess serves a wonderful almond stuffed peach half, but it doesn't sound like what you are describing. That sounds more like a creme brulee, but it has always been raspberry that we have found. The creme brulee has the sugary top, actually a burnt sugar topping.

Both happen to be my all time favorites though. ;)

I found a recipe online for the almond stuffed peaches, but I am sure it probably isn't the same one Princess uses. http://www.bigoven.com/29285-Baked-Stuffed-Peaches-recipe.html

Thanks Toto. Yum this is making me hungry. I remember the raspberry creme brulee as one of the best things I have ever eaten! The peach half was incredible, too.

The "mystery dish", though, was like a cobbler or crisp (which is more of what I was trying to describe when I said, "sugar on top"). I am not sure if it was pastry, or crisp like dutch apple pie on top. It was served warm, as I remember. Does this ring a bell?

Thanks Toto. Yum this is making me hungry. I remember the raspberry creme brulee as one of the best things I have ever eaten! The peach half was incredible, too.

The "mystery dish", though, was like a cobbler or crisp (which is more of what I was trying to describe when I said, "sugar on top"). I am not sure if it was pastry, or crisp like dutch apple pie on top. It was served warm, as I remember. Does this ring a bell?

I think you're talking about Georgia Peach Cobbler, though thar's as far as I can go. This non cook/non baker doesn't have a clue as to how to make it.

Pia

We had a peach dessert at the Bayou Cafe on the Coral last year. It was wonderful. In looking over the menu, it was described as "Fried Yellow Peach pie with cranberry relish" Yummy:-)

49er

They do a stuffed peach half, filled with an "almond souffle". I ordered it once, not my thing....to each his or her own. There is also a peach cobbler available in one of the specialty restaurants - don't remember which one on which ship anymore, but not in Sabatini's. Either of those may have been it, although the appearance is quite different. On the first, you know it is a peach half, with "stuff" on top. The other looks like a cobbler, and can be ordered al a mode.

I would bet you are talking about the peach half stuffed with the almond souffle (and that is stretching the term souffle IMHO) that shows up regularly in the dining rooms.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE most of the desserts - that one just doesn't do it for me......:)

Thanks everyone,

It must be the peach cobbler, even though we were in one of the Anytime Dining restaurants. Maybe they had a surplus and put it on the main menu.

I remember the peach half and that definitely wasn't it. The mystery dessert was in a ramekin and had a crust over the top. I think what is tricking my brain is that I think the crust went all the way across the top and I usually think of a cobbler as having pastry blobs with the fruit showing in places. Maybe it did, but I just had ice cream on that part! Sigh, I really need to pay more attention to my desserts, but there isn't usually time before they are in my stomach:D . Cobbler was my first thought, and it looks like that's the ticket.

Now I'm off to see if there are any peaches in the orchards right now. It has been such a strange year for fruit with our Loooonnnnnnggggg winter (it snowed the day before spring break, which is very rare around these temperate parts!)

Thanks again everyone!

As a long-time Southern cook, the dish you describe sounds like a Southern-style peach cobbler that the pastry chef on board may have "kicked up" a bit.

The recipe is simple: Roll out a crust to fit the bottom and sides as far up in the dish as you want. Pre-bake crust for a few minutes so the filling doesn't soak into the crust and make it soggy. Mix together enough peach slices (preferably fresh or frozen -- canned peaches come across as inelegant and don't have much flavor) for the dish, a little sugar (for diabetics, use Splenda), cinnamon to taste, pinch of salt, and some flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce; pour mixture into pre-baked crust. Dot with butter. Roll out the top crust and place onto the dish. Crimp the top crust over the bottom crust. Cut some vent holes with a fork or a small knife; some cooks do this in a creative pattern, like someone's initials or name or a flower; you get the idea.

Sprinkle a little sugar/cinnamon mixture on top and bake until cobbler is bubbly and crust is brown.

You could search the Internet for peach melba, peach crumble, peach cobbler, etc. desserts. Read a few recipes and modify the one that best appeals to make it your own. You could add a dash of Amaretto or almond extract to add another layer of flavor.

The key is to use the freshest ingredients possible, modify any recipe to your taste and style instead of trying to duplicate the chef's exactly. Trust me, your grandmother will greatly appreciate your creativity and effort -- that's what we grandmothers love best!!

Good luck and Happy Cooking!!

Archived