Yet another review of D822 2nd - 10th Aug!

thanks for putting those photo's up, I totally understand now....BTW...don't think it was your post confusing me it was my mind just not working after yet another sleepless night in our house!!!

oohhh it's really good to see the photo's...Ok so when you were not using your top beds you folded them up? Or did youl eave them down all the time?

also i'm sure I've read but I can't find, how old are your kids? Mine will be 5 and 3 and I'm guessing thee's no chance I'll be allowed to have them on top bunks. I know they are safer below if we were to have rough seas but by golly I'm going to feel weird lying on the top of them hoping my bed and my 80kg's don't fall on top of them

thanks for putting those photo's up, I totally understand now....BTW...don't think it was your post confusing me it was my mind just not working after yet another sleepless night in our house!!!

oohhh it's really good to see the photo's...Ok so when you were not using your top beds you folded them up? Or did youl eave them down all the time?

also i'm sure I've read but I can't find, how old are your kids? Mine will be 5 and 3 and I'm guessing thee's no chance I'll be allowed to have them on top bunks. I know they are safer below if we were to have rough seas but by golly I'm going to feel weird lying on the top of them hoping my bed and my 80kg's don't fall on top of them

Our's are 7 and 8. There is a sign on the bunk saying that they're supposed to be 9 (I think it was) to sleep on the top. I've read on here that some people have been asked to sign a waiver or something before younger kids can sleep there. We weren't asked to.

Aileen (room stewardess) left the bunks down all the time, which was a bit inconvenient. I did try and ask her if they could be put up out of the way during the day, but I don't think she really understood. I'm not sure what the usual process is, probably to leave them set up as that would be easiest. They have a little lock, or a latch which holds them in place when they are put up, so we couldn't do it ourselves as only the room stewards have the key.

I wasn't too keen either on the thought of sleeping on the top. Of course the kids were dying to sleep up there, and they seemed perfectly safe with the pillow under the mattress, but I don't know how they'd go if it got really rough! They are a bit older than yours too. I'm sure the bunk will hold you. They would be rated much higher than 80kg! They did seem to be very solidly made.

The bunks hold way more than 80kgs. We just pushed the beds up against the wall and they clicked in. It was the Sun so maybe a different locking mechanism.

We didn't actually try closing them up! We saw the little key/lock thing, and assumed we wouldn't be able to. Now I'm curious, we should have tried it!

Thanks for posting your photo Glenda. Now it's easy for everyone to see the difference. My kids loved sitting in the window too, and hiding behind the curtains.

Hey Croydon Cruiser & Glenda. I emailed the t/a and was able to change my cabin. I got to pick so I selected D166 - according to the Regal Princess floor plan it was an original 4 berth. So same side as last time but a different cabin. Just out of curiosity Croydon cruiser - did you have a fridge in your cabin? In the picture it looks like the extra hanging space was where our fridge was??? Are there fridges in every cabin? (I hope so coz hubby likes his Pepsi Max :D). Your room looks similar to the one we had on the Pac Sun last year, The bunks pulled down the same way. Thanks for all your pic's and advise too :)

Hi Rose,

Great you could change your cabin!

Jo's room did appear to have slightly more hanging space, but less cabin space.

The pac sun ones are different, or they were in our last pac sun cabin.

The Dawn ones stick out way more, or I thought they did when I saw Jo's cabin. I went in there thinking that they would be similar but they really are different.

The link (sorry too lazy to upload it) is a photo of Ben in a Pac Sun cabin, it doesn't show a lot, but I can't remember there being like a shelf that stuck out, like in Jo's photo. It just has the metal bits, not the box affair that the PD has.

http://www.cruise.splot.com.au/main.php?g2_itemId=195

What do other think?

Hi Rose,

There is a fridge in every cabin on the Pacific Dawn. The Pac Sun doesn't have fridges.:):)

Thanks Ela 2. I thought that but Croydon's cabin looked like it had more hanging space so I thought they may have removed the fridge :confused:.

Hmmm. Different to our cabin. Looks like your top bunks went into the ceiling. Ours went into the walls.:rolleyes:

Hi Karen,

The ones in the ceiling are the original Regal Princess 4 berth cabins, wher the ones from the wall are the ones that were converted from twin to 4 berth when she was refitted as Pacific Dawn. The general feeling is that the original 4 berth cabins are roomier than the refitted ones.

Hmmm. Different to our cabin. Looks like your top bunks went into the ceiling. Ours went into the walls.:rolleyes:

Hi Karen,

Was your cabin different to Jo's, where her bunks have like a frame work. Did yours go into the wall?

The difference between Jo's cabin and ours was quite amazing as we were both on dolphin. One cabin was the original bunks and the other had them added when it became the PD. One seemed smaller than th eother too, but I think that this was because there was more storage added in.

Yes, ours was like Jo's. The cabins themselves look the same (although the angle at which your pic was taken makes it look bigger) but the head room on the bottom bunk would have been better in your cabin.

Hi Karen,

The ones in the ceiling are the original Regal Princess 4 berth cabins, wher the ones from the wall are the ones that were converted from twin to 4 berth when she was refitted as Pacific Dawn. The general feeling is that the original 4 berth cabins are roomier than the refitted ones.

Going by Glenda's pic, I think they look the same as far as room is concerned. The only difference is, the head room (on bottont bunks) looks better on the Regal 4 berth cabins.

Yes, ours was like Jo's. The cabins themselves look the same (although the angle at which your pic was taken makes it look bigger) but the head room on the bottom bunk would have been better in your cabin.

Hi Karen,

The room itself was physically the same size, but the additions made it smaller in Jo's cabin, so less room to walk around in.

Where we had like a desk come vanity area we had about 1 metre to the beds, and in Jo's cabin they had about half a metre.

It was quite funny investigating the differences of the cabin arrangements as we were both unaware there were differences until we looked.

It's a great idea Jo and Geoff suggested finding the regal princess deck plans and comparing them to the PD to find the original 4 berth cabins.

Going by Glenda's pic, I think they look the same as far as room is concerned. The only difference is, the head room (on bottont bunks) looks better on the Regal 4 berth cabins.

When they are put away, the wall ones still protrude from the wall above the bottom bunk, and there have been comments of passengers hitting their head on them. I guess if you are booking as a twin or triple, the roof mounted one leaves more wall room for the whole cruise.

I just had a look at the Regal Princess deck plans and ther are not a lot of 4 berth cabins. We like our cabin to be about midship and for us to get a 4 berth we have to go for a new one. In May we are taking Grahame's sister with us and are staying in E180 and from the plans there is not really anywhere else to go.

Hi Rose,

Great you could change your cabin!

Jo's room did appear to have slightly more hanging space, but less cabin space.

The pac sun ones are different, or they were in our last pac sun cabin.

The Dawn ones stick out way more, or I thought they did when I saw Jo's cabin. I went in there thinking that they would be similar but they really are different.

The link (sorry too lazy to upload it) is a photo of Ben in a Pac Sun cabin, it doesn't show a lot, but I can't remember there being like a shelf that stuck out, like in Jo's photo. It just has the metal bits, not the box affair that the PD has.

http://www.cruise.splot.com.au/main.php?g2_itemId=195

What do other think?

Hi Glenda

Thanks for the link. I had a look but the bunk looks different (i'm probably mixing the Dawn and the Sun up now) :confused: . I have video footage of our cabin U68 on the Sun so i shall check it out today. The Sun was refitted out too. So maybe like the Dawn there are 2 type's of 4 berth cabins. What was your cabin number on the Sun?

Hi Karen,

The room itself was physically the same size, but the additions made it smaller in Jo's cabin, so less room to walk around in.

Where we had like a desk come vanity area we had about 1 metre to the beds, and in Jo's cabin they had about half a metre.

It was quite funny investigating the differences of the cabin arrangements as we were both unaware there were differences until we looked.

It's a great idea Jo and Geoff suggested finding the regal princess deck plans and comparing them to the PD to find the original 4 berth cabins.

I'm really relieved that we found out about the cabin differences now because i'm planning on using this extra floor space near the desk to put my 3 year old daughter to sleep if the sharing of the bed doesn't work out(we are a family of 5 & as you all know p&O don't cater for us - so i'll bring hubby into our cabin). P&O need to bring on a new ship with inter-connecting cabins!!!

Hi Karen,

Will have to try & check out both types of cabins when we're on her in March. I'm sure we had much more than half a metre between the desk & beds. In fact, from memory we had a table there as well.

Yep, just checked with my son & we did have a table & chairs (2 I think) there.

Here are some more photos to hopefully help with visualising the cabin layout. This first one is taken from between the bunks, with the window behind me. You can see the edge of the bunk, the fridge in the corner below the TV (for the person who was wondering about fridges) and the little table on the right. In Glenda's cabin, the desk was wider, which is partly why I think her cabin seemed to be roomier. They've cut the desk in half and built more wardrobe space at the end. That's the vertical cabinet you can see on the left hand side. (If you look back to my first lot of photos, in post #23, the first one taken from near the door shows the 2 wardrobes on the left (that's a big mirror on the right hand side). It's a bit dark, but you can just see them. They don't have any doors.) We only had one chair. Two would have been really good!

I'm sorry my son is in the way, but this is the best photo I've got from this angle.

2806454433_b2514e197b.jpg?v=0

This next photo shows my daughter holding the bunk with one hand, and the wardrobe with the other, and gives some idea of the distance between the two. I think it would be the same as in Glenda's cabin, but just 'felt' smaller. It probably didn't help that our cabin was messier than hers!

2807300860_e7ac3a5f42.jpg?v=0

And just so you have a complete idea of the amount of wardrobe space, this last one is taken about 2 steps in from the front door, turn left through 90 degrees. It shows the bathroom door on the left, drawers straight ahead, and two more wardrobes on the right hand side. You can't really see, but we used the end one to store our cases.

2807304904_9a23df00a1.jpg?v=0

Archived