Cancelling a cruise

CT Cruiser10

How do I go about cancelling a cruise? Do I have to do it through my travel agent? Can I cancel my reservation through Carnival? My TA has about a 24 hour turn around on returning e-mails.

I want to cancel and then rebook the same cruise though a PVP. My TA is not able to get me an upgrade as part of the sale this week. I fully intend to have the upgrade, so I may just cancel and call Carnival directly and rebook with a PVP. I would rather not have to discuss this with the TA, I feel that I would sound mean.

Carnival won't even talk to you about your booking, you have to deal with your TA directly.

If you try and book directly through Carnival prior to canceling, you will show up in the system as already booked.

I see. I may just try to cancel my cruise anyways and work with a PVP on the same cruise. My TA hardly did anything to try to get me the best price/cabin. It's not even about the money/upgrade at this point. It is just the bad service.

However, I did call 1-800-CARNIVAL and the gentleman that I spoke to said that he doesn't see why they wouldn't honor the upgrade. The only knowledge that he had about my cruise was that it was scheduled for next May.

Hello CT Cruiser10, Whether or not you are able to cancel your cruise through the cruise line, I suggest you definitely talk to your TA before you do anything.

There are many travel agents who charge a cancelation fee of their own, separate from what is charged by the cruise line. Those TAs that do so, charge it for any cancelation, even if done right from the minute you make your deposit. Frequently the amount is $50 to $75 per person. And in general, the TAs that refuse to honor price drops are the same TAs that charge the cancelation fee, for obvious reasons. They know you will likely cancel and book elsewhere to get the lower price.

So be sure you know all the facts before you act.

One other thing, you could call the cruise line and ask them IF the new price is a "for new bookings only" price, as Chigirlcruzin mentioned. Not all price drops are, but some are. (Usually the "for new bookings only prices are the ones that occur after final payment. You say that's not your situation, so likely it is not "for new bookings" in your case. ) IF the cruise line says the price is for new bookings only, they will not give you the lower price, even if the travel agents lets you cancel with no objection. So you don't want to take any action precipitously.

Good Luck

There is another thread about the one day sale. I got the impression that some people were able to get the upgrades or a rebate on previously booked cruises. My opinion of the TA that I chose is very low right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even call Carnival.

Like I said, even if I can't get the upgrade through a PVP I would still feel more comfortable using them. I would actually rebook and choose a guarantee balcony to save a bit of money. My TA told me that a guarantee balcony runs the risk of an obstructed view, but according to they Carnival vacation guide, the obstructed view balconies are not category 9.

In the end, I'm just frustrated. I hate having to talk to the TA and tell them that I think that they are doing a poor job. I'm usually a nice guy, not good at being mean. But it's my vacation, and my money.

I have been on 8 other cruises, but this situation has not applied before. Don't know if it will apply now, but just in case. If I am still within the period that I can cancel a cruise with no penalty (fully refundable), what is stopping me from cancelling and then rebooking when there is a one day sale (that says not for previous bookings) if I can get a better room or better rate?

I have been on 8 other cruises, but this situation has not applied before. Don't know if it will apply now, but just in case. If I am still within the period that I can cancel a cruise with no penalty (fully refundable), what is stopping me from cancelling and then rebooking when there is a one day sale (that says not for previous bookings) if I can get a better room or better rate?

That is the situation that I am in. It is in Carnival's best interest to honor the upgrade.

1. I can just cancel and rebook, causing them extra work.

2. I can cancel and rebook with somebody else, causing them a lost customer.

I agree...I can understand if you are not in this "fully refundable" period, but if you are, wouldn't it just make more sense for my PVP to honor the upgrade/price difference rather than do the paperwork to cancel, and then I just call back and talk to a different PVP to rebook??? Is there something I'm missing here?

I agree...I can understand if you are not in this "fully refundable" period, but if you are, wouldn't it just make more sense for my PVP to honor the upgrade/price difference rather than do the paperwork to cancel, and then I just call back and talk to a different PVP to rebook??? Is there something I'm missing here?

Your cancelled reservation is already shown in the system. They will have to make a business decision about whether or not to honor the upgrade. I would assume that they will want to honor it.

just want to add - I am very happy with my original cabin selection, the ship, the price, and the itinerary. I will be going on this cruise no matter what. I sent an e-mail to one of the PVPs that contacted me (they seem to do this every time you look at a cruise online). If he can get me a better price or cabin, knowing the situation, then I may consider making the switch. If not, I have a good cabin, good ship, good itinerary, and good price. Maybe the TA wasn't up to par, but that's a lesson learned.

I just spoke with a PVP, and he said that if I cancel and rebook, it is considered a new booking. I'm hoping that my TA will come to the same result with Carnival (I really don't feel like cancelling and rebooking). The PVP could not quote me a price because they do not compete with TAs. I would assume that it is the same price that is online, which is exactly what I paid since I booked 5 days ago.

Your cancelled reservation is already shown in the system. They will have to make a business decision about whether or not to honor the upgrade. I would assume that they will want to honor it.

Maybe I am missing something but......isn't it possible that someone cancels a booking for whatever reason (business or personal conflict) because they decided they can not go?

Then a few days later they find a way to work around the issue and decides that they CAN go on the cruise afterall. They can not call and rebook that cruise because they had a previous booking :confused: .

Maybe I am missing something but......isn't it possible that someone cancels a booking for whatever reason (business or personal conflict) because they decided they can not go?

Then a few days later they find a way to work around the issue and decides that they CAN go on the cruise afterall. They can not call and rebook that cruise because they had a previous booking :confused: .

An arguement could be made that they would just give you your old reservation back, and not honor any one day sale that is only applicable to new bookings. I do no agree with this arguement though.

If you booked thru a TA you can only cancel thru the TA - Carnival will NOT address any booking issues made thru a TA. The TA will probably charge you a Cancellation fee. If you booked at a lower fuel surcharge, you'll pay the current higher charge. Make sure your anticipated upgrades 'outweigh' these charges!!!!

An arguement could be made that they would just give you your old reservation back, and not honor any one day sale that is only applicable to new bookings. I do no agree with this arguement though.

Yeah, I agree that they wouldn't do this. I mean, you've got a customer on the phone who wants a cabin and you're going to say no? Seems dangerous for Carnival. I bet they'd book the cabin.

Like I said, even if I can't get the upgrade through a PVP I would still feel more comfortable using them. I would actually rebook and choose a guarantee balcony to save a bit of money. My TA told me that a guarantee balcony runs the risk of an obstructed view, but according to they Carnival vacation guide, the obstructed view balconies are not category 9.

Hello CT Cruiser10, Beware, there are two catagory 9 cabins on deck 5 on the Miracle that are obstructed by the lifeboats.5241 and 5243 )

About the rebooking idea: I have no knowledge about how this will work, never having attempted it. It's always possible they would do it the way you wish, but I have to ask this: Precisely what is it you think the cruise line means when they say "for new bookings only"? If not that the fact that someone who is already booked cannot get the lower price? Why would they bother to even state that, if anyone already booked could cancel and rebook at the lower price? I have to think that they will realize that you WERE already booked once, and only offer your original price.

I will be very curious to find out how this resolves for you. Please keep us informed.

Hello CT Cruiser10, Beware, there are two catagory 9 cabins on deck 5 on the Miracle that are obstructed by the lifeboats.5241 and 5243 )

About the rebooking idea: I have no knowledge about how this will work, never having attempted it. It's always possible they would do it the way you wish, but I have to ask this: Precisely what is it you think the cruise line means when they say "for new bookings only"? If not that the fact that someone who is already booked cannot get the lower price? Why would they bother to even state that, if anyone already booked could cancel and rebook at the lower price? I have to think that they will realize that you WERE already booked once, and only offer your original price.

I will be very curious to find out how this resolves for you. Please keep us informed.

I posted my outcome in another thread. I got the upgrade through my TA. I am in cabin 5129.

I just recieved an e-mail from the PVP that I would have used if I dropped my TA. I had sent him an e-mail to ask if cancelling and rebooking would be a new booking. He congratulated me on my upgrade. That was awful nice of him, considering that he isn't getting my business on this cruise. I will be sure to remember that next time that I am booking a cruise.

Archived