QM2 which deck - 4, 5 or 6

retiredbrit

We are in the process of booking a cruise on QM2 for Christmas 2009. This will be our 12th or 13th cruise having been on Celebrity and P&O and some smaller lines

We have decided on a Mid-ships cabin, grade B1, B2 or B3 balcony which could be on either deck 4, 5 or 6. At the moment deck 6 seems favourite just one deck up to Kings Court - but I have nothing firm to base this on

Can any who has previously sailed on Queen Mary 2 help me decide which deck to go for.

regards Alan

We are in the process of booking a cruise on QM2 for Christmas 2009. We have decided on a Mid-ships cabin, grade B1, B2 or B3 balcony which could be on either deck 4, 5 or 6. Can any who has previously sailed on Queen Mary 2 help me decide which deck to go for. regards Alan

Hi Alan

I enjoyed a deck 5 cabin, half way between Deck 7's Promenade and Spa (both much more enjoyable than the Kings Court) and the public rooms (Cinema, Theatre, Champagne Bar, Shops, Chart Room, Sir Samuel's wine bar, Britannia Restaurant, Queens Room, G32) on Deck 3. You have one deck between you and any noise that either the galleys in the Kings Court and early morning joggers on the Promenade on deck 7 may produce and also one deck between you and any (late night) noise from the public rooms on Deck 3. Great location. PLease be certain to visit the public areas forward on decks 7 (gym) 8 (Library, Bookshop) 9 (Commodore Club, Churchills, Board Room) 11 (observation deck and Atlantic Room) 12 (Bridge Observation Area) and 13 (The Lookout).

If you use the links below you can see pictures of my deck 5 cabin and also the other cabins I've enjoyed when on board.

Have a great time and tell us all about it.

:) Hello Retiredbrit,

We have only been on one QM2 cruise, a thirteen day cruise to Panama and the Caribbean, and maybe I can help by telling you what my own thought process was when I booked. We selected B3, choosing a hull balcony cabin, mainly because the price was right. We chose Deck 5 rather than Deck 6, mainly because Deck 7 has a promenade that joggers use in the morning. Deck 5 is sandwiched between two decks that have staterooms only.

I personally like to be forward so we chose 5048 which is on the port side, for obvious reasons. We had just a wonderful cruise. We enjoyed our hull balcony and the cabin we chose. We were positioned fairly even between stairway 1 and stairway 2, making it a short walk to either set of elevators. It was quite a hike from the rear of the ship to our cabin, but most evenings we ended up in the Commodore Club which was quite close to our stateroom.

A couple of things you might consider when booking. Some of the cabins are joined by a common door which is shown on the deck plans. If that is something that would bother you then try to avoid those cabns. I have heard that some of the adjoined cabins can be quite noisy (depending on who is on the other side). Another concern would be the Launderette. There is one on each floor (also shown on the Deck Plans) and I've heard that the cabins adjacent to them can hear conversations from them, particularly early in the morning. Also the nursery and the kids zone is aft, I'm not sure what floor, but I suppose a cabin nearby, could hear noise and be crowded at peak times.

That December 2009 cruise is the one that I would like to go on. Hope we see you there.

Gail

Hi Alan,

I will be on this cruise! We ended up chosing cabins on Deck 6 because we will be traveling with children and while on my recent crossing I thought the closeness to Kings Court one deck up would make snacking trips and quick meals easier. Not to mention the Kids Zone is deck 6 aft. However, if it were to be just my husband and I we would go for deck 5 midship, port side as I personally feel it is the best advantage for all locations. 2 decks up or down brings you to most of the main areas so you are about as centrally located as possible. There is quite a group of people going on this trip, should be fun!

I join those who would choose Deck 5. I personally like to be above and below other cabins. I think midship is an excellent location. The Real PM makes an excellent point about checking to see if the cabin you are considering has a connecting door to the cabin next door. Avoid that if possible. Nina recommendation for port side is something to consider, also. Booking this far ahead, you should be able to book a great cabin. Have a wonderful time.

Beth

I have cruised several times on QM2 and would without doubt choose one of the cabin decks you mention. One point to bear in mind, deck 6 is immediately below the promenade deck and early morning joggers may make some noise, although they are not supposed to start before 8:00 am.

The main drawback to deck 6 is the noise from the outdoor promenade. However, there is also sometimes noise from supplies being shifted around in the King's Court area. Also, the comings and goings around the children's area can cause some noise. None of this is particularly annoying but you do not have it on Deck 5.

Deck 4 is very convenient to the large public rooms and to the Britannia Restaurant.

Very many thanks for your very helpfull comments. I wondered about possible noise from early morning joggers on Deck 7.

So deck 5 midships it is! we paid our deposit first thing this morning and have a confirmed cabin number, mid ships, port side.

Must now be patient.

We want to fly UK to New York a week early and explore - I havent been to New York since the late 80's when we had an office on Maddisson Ave.

Cunard have told my TA that flying early should be ok but cant comit themselves to a firm yes untill 10 months before sailing. I have done similar with Celebrity and would have thought we should be ok with Cunard.We would book our own hotel if it is possible and I suppose as a last resort we could make our own flight arrangements.

Many thanks for your help

regards Alan

Very many thanks for your very helpfull comments. I wondered about possible noise from early morning joggers on Deck 7.

So deck 5 midships it is! we paid our deposit first thing this morning and have a confirmed cabin number, mid ships, port side.

I want to thank you all for this thread too. While I was a lurker, we had just booked the same cruise that leaves two 20 days earlier at the end of November. Our TA originally had us on deck 6, put I called back and asked for rooms on deck 5. So now we are midships, starboard side.

I want to thank you all for this thread too. While I was a lurker, we had just booked the same cruise that leaves two 20 days earlier at the end of November. Our TA originally had us on deck 6, put I called back and asked for rooms on deck 5. So now we are midships, starboard side.

It is amazing what you can learn from these boards. You probably know much more about the cabins on the QM2 than your TA. Have a wonderful cruise.

Beth

Alan, If you are arranging your own hotel I would like to recommend the Grand Hyatt. Beautiful, spacious rooms, attentive service and the location is hard to beat! It is right next to Grand Central Station (nearly on top of it!) so it puts all of New York at your finger tips. Go for a Regency/Grand Club room as it includes some very nice extra amenities! See you onboard!

It is amazing what you can learn from these boards. You probably know much more about the cabins on the QM2 than your TA. Have a wonderful cruise.

Beth

It's funny, when it comes to DCL, we feel like experts. But cruise on a new line and I feel like a novice all over again :o

Oh well.....I've got a 6 deck balcony with a connecting door.....(tho last time I had one of those on 8 deck I couldn't hear anything.....)......so I'll find out in October how it is. Funny thing about 'upgrades' (from B5 to B1) - sometimes the 'upgrade' may or may not be 'better' - but best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Peter

Hi Nina - thanks for the tip - the Grand Hyatt looks great. I will be looking for a hotel in earnest early next year to see what sort of deal we can get. I will I am sure be asking for tips, though like London I dont suppose there are many real bargins in a central location

Location will be an important factor as is price rather than plush rooms.

I have not visited New York since the late 80's so I will need to take advice and read reviews. In those days we stayed at the Grammercy Park hotel at the bottom of Lexinton Ave - but of course I was on expences then - now we have to pay for ourselves. At that time I think floor 8 was where they put the musicians - there was, I remember, a funny smell on that floor and you could see the pot smoke hanging in the air.

I gather NY has tightened up on drugs now - when I was last there guys were openly selling drugs in Union Square.

Must start a roll call soon

regards Alan

I gather NY has tightened up on drugs now - when I was last there guys were openly selling drugs in Union Square.

Have no fear, the city has been pretty clean since Guiliani was mayor. You would not recognize 42nd street anymore. No more peep shows. No more getting stopped every 10 feet by guys telling you to "check it out". Now it's a great place to go.

Archived