Best Way to Book

Chelly

I'll check about 10 different sites before booking. The cabin prices are almost all the same now. It's the perks (On board credit, travel insurance, coupon books, etc..) that some sites might be offering that can make a difference.

Good Luck!

I'll check about 10 different sites before booking. The cabin prices are almost all the same now. It's the perks (On board credit, travel insurance, coupon books, etc..) that some sites might be offering that can make a difference.

Good Luck!

You can check 100 sites online and they should all be the same. Carnival does not allow anyone ADVERTISING a lower price.

If you call each agency or email for a quote that is when you will get a cheaper price with most agencies.

They do this by rebating some of their commission or they have group space.

Bill

If your first cruise and you don't like to research and understand EVERYTHING before you book, you might want to consider a reputable, "well-cruised", recommended local TA. If you're eligible, most agree that no-one can beat the Carnival Military rate (not offered on all cruises) which is available from TA's and via phone only from Carnival. ken

While Carnival states they will match any price that is lower, do not expect it to always happen. Sometimes TA's will give you an incentive to book with them. If the pricing is different most of the time the TA is reducing their commissions to attract your business. Also TA's sometimes will offer free coupon books or excursions. This is a special deal they are offering. It comes out of their pockets or it is an incentive they have been offered to offer clients.

We actually booked a cruise on a very popular web TAgency for NYE and Carnival laughed when I called. The offer that the TA was giving had actually expired the day before and this huge company had not changed their website. I booked with the TA for the upgrades and OBC. My PVP told me to that they would have to honor it and we did get it.

Another thing to remember is some TA's or agencies will book a block of rooms at a certain price. They are allow to keep that block for a certain time and if the price goes up during that time they are locked into the lower rate. Therefore that can be transferred in the forming of lower rates verses the current going brochure rate.

Basically there are ways to get a cheaper price than brochure rate but it does not always happen.

You can check 100 sites online and they should all be the same. Carnival does not allow anyone ADVERTISING a lower price.

If you call each agency or email for a quote that is when you will get a cheaper price with most agencies.

They do this by rebating some of their commission or they have group space.

Bill

Exactly . . . get OBC from online quotes all the time that are below Carnival's price.

Depends also on whether you're an experienced cruiser. The online sites aren't going to HOLD YOUR HAND. You must know which ship, which date, which cabin category, etc. All my quotes and bookings are done with e-mails. Never a misunderstanding about what I'm getting or not getting. Its all in BLACK AND WHITE.

jsme - Be careful! Carnival's ONLY price guarantee is to match an advertised price within 24 hours of your booking. Generally, they will not match prices except where the price matches that displayed on their site. However, if you are deposited, they are GREAT about giving you any Carnival price drops (or new upgrade offers) that occur after your booking!! ken

Are you shopping entirely based on price? Not a smart idea unless you:

- Know EVERYTHING about your cruise

- Will NOT make any changes whatsoever

- Will not require any assistance or customer service

Shop around, ask questions, and then make a decision. Cheapest is almost never better...

I did the ************* thing. I guess that is Ok to say here? You go to *************.com and tell them what you are looking for and then agents compete for your business. I got a rate a heck of a lot cheaper than anywhere else and my service has been great. If you want more info let me know and I can email you with the name of the agency that I went with. I thought it was fun! I checked out everything completely to make sure it was legit (better business bureau) and many people recommended it on this site. Saved a lot of dough!

Well, I guess you aren't allowed to say it anymore but it isn't an agency that I said! Plus, I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't heard about it through these boards so someone mentioned it before here and it wasn't blocked out! So if you want more info let me know!

Is is better and cheaper to book directly through Carnival or a travel agent?

1 of the best ways to save is to book early. Try to book at least 1 year out if you can. Another good reason to book very early is cabin selection.

What we get from our TA (personal friend also) is either onboard credit or a gift. They give back part of their commission to those that book through them so the deal is actually a little better. This is also the reason some of the online rates are lower. They're giving up part of their profit to get you to book with them. But, not all will do that. We also get a military discounts on most cruises we take.

I always book with online agencies. I have always received OBC's and other gifts that Carnival does not offer. I have never had any problems. I have never bought into the ideas that Carnivals sales staff...errr...PVPs ....are anything more than salesmen.

I just booked our first cruise about 6 weeks. Once I figured out exactly what I wanted, I priced it with costco travel and it was about $300 less than the Carnival price. Then I tried several of the online agencies that I found in discussions on these boards. It ended up a little more than $200 less than costco and nearly $500 less than carnival. I booked it, and then bought insurance separately. No regrets. They are easy to work with, and my booking showed up on the carnival site that very same day. When I have questions, they get back to me instantly.

I am with Ray98, I book with the online agencies as I indicated in my last post, if you look around on this site you will see them advertising. Just check with better business bureau or ask a fellow cruise critic member offline for a recommendation. The online agencies are great, I have a great agent with one. We just booked a balcony cabin and got to pick the location (non guarantee cabin) for just a little more than we paid on our last cruise for an inside cabin!!! Live and learn I guess!

Way to go Regguy! Glad to see a newbie get in the game! Same thing happened to me- our booking showed up within minutes of my payment to the online agency. I have called her several times with issues and she has called me back within hours or 1 day. For the money I saved I would accept even a little bit poor service!!

Archived