Carnival Personal Vacation Planner Vs. TA

sheribaaby

We always use the PVP's, I hate TA's. I do enough research that I don't need to pay someone else to repeat it or just use what I have. Also, TA's can't ADVERTISE a lower rate than Carnival. They can discount them after you contact them, but I have never had any major fare changes offered.

I prefer to just research here and then book myself online. I do not need the hand holding. I have had good T.A.s and bad ones. But I feel really bad if I have to cancel if I use a T.A. I have read here that the PVPs vary just like T.A.s

I usually know more about the ships than the average T.A. Pointing and clicking is bliss for me. I call the line directly if I have a question.

Tom In Long Beach

Anyone use Carnival's "personal vacation planners"? Do you prefer them or travel agents? I used a PVP for the first time for my cruise leaving this Saturday and I can't say that I am too pleased with them.

Sheribaaby, why aren't you pleased so far? Give us some more info and maybe someone here can help you. We have used a PVP for all but one of our Carnival cruises and are pleased with her. I do have to check for price reductions though, which really p----- me off, but I can put up with that. She has never given us a bad cabin and that is my main concern after price.

I have had a couple of TA's and definately enjoy using a PVP. I like doing my own leg work and that way I am sure it is right.. My PVP is great.. She was even understanding when I called up bitching because a 5A online was cheaper than mine..I forgot I had booked an OV:o Was I ever embaressed! She just laughed and said I love ya anyway..LOL

Sheribaaby, why aren't you pleased so far? Give us some more info and maybe someone here can help you. We have used a PVP for all but one of our Carnival cruises and are pleased with her. I do have to check for price reductions though, which really p----- me off, but I can put up with that. She has never given us a bad cabin and that is my main concern after price.

I say "so far" because I am hoping that once I get on it will all fall into place. Just frustration at not being able to get ahold of the original PVP that I booked with. I am onto #4 now. I am sure that once I get on and see the upgrade that they talked me into then I will be thrilled and will forget all about my frustration. Positive thinking!! 3 Days to go... Gustav better move on!

We book through the cruiseline and then later change to a TA that will give us OBC or something great. We use the PVP and book it and after whatever time we decide, we use a site where agents compete for your business.

We find out which one will give us the biggest bang for the buck, charges no cancellation fee, will agree to doing price reductions more than once if they are available and then will transfer the booking.

We have gotten great OBC's, wine, dinner etc. that we wouldn't have gotten just using the PVP. We have found 2 different agencies that we work with and have not been disappointed.

Enjoy.

I say "so far" because I am hoping that once I get on it will all fall into place. Just frustration at not being able to get ahold of the original PVP that I booked with. I am onto #4 now. I am sure that once I get on and see the upgrade that they talked me into then I will be thrilled and will forget all about my frustration. Positive thinking!! 3 Days to go... Gustav better move on!

Wow, your on your 4th PVP? I would be a little upset too. Heck, when I call to ask for information it gets back to my PVP and she calls me to see how she can help. If I call her, she gets back to me within an hour. She knows when we like to travel and where on the ship we like to be and accomodates us. We have never had a room that had a lot of noise at night, wether the noise is from the elevator, ice machine , night club or Lido deck. She has also warned us about obstructed views on the balconys. When you finally get a good one, she/he will take care of you. Upgrades are good. You usually move up a deck or two for the same price as the lower deck or category

Anyone use Carnival's "personal vacation planners"? Do you prefer them or travel agents? I used a PVP for the first time for my cruise leaving this Saturday and I can't say that I am too pleased with them.

I can't speak for every single PVP out there, but if I'm cruising on Carnival I will definitely book through MY PVP! She ROCKS!!

I have never come across anybody in the travel industry with the knowledge, customer service, accessibility, and friendliness that my PVP has.

As far as prices go, about the only travel sites that I have come across that will offer me a lower price are the ones that will also charge me bogus fees (like "booking" fees, or "change or cancellation" fees outside of penalty). I'm not willing to give up good customer service and product knowledge over a few bucks when I'm already spending a couple thousand dollars on a vacation!

This is my first cruise, but have had many vacations and booked them on my own, online, through a TA etc etc. I used a PVP for this cruise and he was GREAT - we got a fabulous deal (interior and balcony conneting cabins on the Pride) - I contacted a TA about that recently for another cruise and she said there were no cabins that did that on any ship - even I can see the on the carnival site deckplans!!

I have needed to make changes, had questions etc and he was always there for me. When he first contacted me (I inquired through the site about something) I told him we were just thinking about a holiday and as of yet had NO plans to book anything. I told him to send me an email with his contact info and if/when I was ready I would be in touch. He NEVER bugged me after that, several months later I just thought I would ask what a cruise would cost us and gave him my criteria - he not only found the best itinerary and cabins for me, he got me a WICKED price (not sure how as I am not military or past gues and we picked our rooms)

We booked a 7A balcony on our upcoming Legend cruise Sunday. Yesterday I noticed that an 8F unobgstructed balcony was less than we paid for obstructed. Called my PVP today and she got us moved to an 8F for no additional cost (we would have also gotten an OBC but we booked before the fuel surcharge). I'd say that's pretty good service since the cruise is only 4 days away!:D

If you are inexperienced, have many ?s etc. and need a bit of hand holding my advice is use a pvp. If you are an experienced cruiser and know the ins and outs use a TA. My TA ALWAYS saves me between 6 -10% off anyone elses price by discounting the commission including PVPs. She gets me OBC when approriate (price drops after final payment) never charges change or cancellation fees and is easy to get in contact with. Happy sailing

Archived